Notices

Liver pain?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver pain?

I'm 23 years old and I've been drinking for 7 years. The last 2-3 have been very heavy. I recently went on a pretty big binge and the next day had horrible pains in my stomach all day. Not the normal hang over pains either. I rarely even have hangovers anyway...

So, I woke up with pains in my right side (near liver/gallballder) I put off going to the doc ALL day until about 2:00AM I started feeling really hot and checked my temperature and it was 101 soon after--vomiting. I went to the hospital and seriously, I'm not trying to be judgmental here but the doc I got really acted like he could care less...spent maybe two minutes in the room and didn't ever introduce himself.

He did say after asking me where the pain was "Oh, gallbladder" and said something as he was walking out of the room.
So two vials of blood and a cup of urine later. He comes back and says "Blood tests look PRETTY okay." mummbled some more and said something about pain meds and left. He also gave me...loretab? Something like that and I hardly even ever take Tylenol.

So, out 165 bucks for a visit where they ignored anything I mentioned about my liver. Am I overreacting? Are they right? He didn't even do a ultarsound or anything...just kind of dismissed me. I really hope he didn't think it was a hangover. =\

Also, had a follow up today with the family doc who took it way more seriously and took MORE blood and she seemed to think it was my Gallbladder too. But mentioned hepatitis and the paper she gave me when I left said "Liver function"
She also told me the erm...enzymes WHERE elevated and he should have done the ultrasound. She said 70 and 56? I think...whatever that means.

I don't know, I'm ranting and worried.

-AWARE THIS POST MAY OF BEEN POINTLESS-
Old 05-29-2010, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sheesh ;-)

I had some liver pains in the past too, things are much better now that I have stopped drinking.

You posted this in the substance abuse forum, you might get a better response in the alcoholism or newcomers to recovery sections.

Best of luck with your tests ;-)

Take Care,

NB
Old 05-29-2010, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope more than anything that you are right.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey sheesh

I hope whatever it is it's something easily treated. I hope you get the results quickly too.

I'm sorry for your hospital experience, but I'm glad you realised that you needed to get a second opinion - our well being is everything.

Welcome to SR - hope to see you around some more
D
Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What did you tell the Dr. about your drinking habits? Were you completely honest with him in this regard?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stop drinking for a while and see if your condition improves.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
What did you tell the Dr. about your drinking habits? Were you completely honest with him in this regard?

Yup, very honest with both the ER guy and the family doctor. They both seemed to--ignore it. I haven't had any pain at all since last night when I posted all of that. Still a little worried...I'll def post after the results of the ultrasounds and the other blood tests.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get another professional opinion.

The fact that the doctor prescribed acetaminophen to an alcoholic raises a big flag to me. Just look at the label on a Tylenol bottle for the warnings and contraindications.

Acetaminophen and alcohol combined can cause severe or even fatal liver damage.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome to SR!! Don't have any advice but just wanted to say we are here for you!! Hope you get better soon. hugs <3
Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My 21 year old son went to the hospital E/R earlier this month. He was experiencing severe stomach pain and vomitting. From what I have read and been told the pain is unbelieveable. While in the emergency room they did blood and urine tests, cat scan and I believe an ultrasound. They eventually admitted him. The next day they did more tests and concluded it was pancreatitis (sp).
If you google pancreatitis the first cause that comes up is excessive drinking.
He has NO insurance so the doctor reluctantly released him after one day in the hospital. His hospital release instructions said in capital letters NO ALCOHOL.

This maybe what you have experienced.

It is sad to say this experience did not scare him into stopping the drugging and drinking. This week I took him to the E/R due to DXM. He is abusing himself with anything he can get his hands on. He told us he's been doing heroin for the past 3 months...now he's broke and is substituting with whatever he can drum up.

I am praying for a miracle.
If your body is giving you pain....please take notice....your body is sending you a message to stop.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol of course is poison and your liver has to work extra hard to help filter those toxins out. If you keep drinking hard year after year your liver is going to complain that it won't keep working hard forever.

I have a fatty liver right now and I've had pancreatitis after x8 years of heavy drinking. I've been scared straight & sober after my doc told me I was on the verge of cirrhosis.

A fatty liver can heal itself. Cirrhosis of the liver means permanent scar damage and damage that can't be reversed.

Your organs are talking to you that they've been abused and overworked for too long now. Please stop drinking asap.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in very early recovery. I have a very distressing past due to prolonged emotional bullying at school. I never got any help for it.
Now it has been happening yet again & I'm 54 & keep telling myself that I should be able to deal with this. Id really like to switch to thus site but find it harder to use that the unamed X site; which does not advocate sobriety as you do
I just could do with some supportive comments as this whole business has left me feeling pretty damaged. I reported it several times & they did nothing as this girl deleted the vile abuse & made ME out yi be the perpetrator
I've not been out of my bed much. The girl had mental health issues & tried to take on overdose; only to return to site with new name & pure unwaranted vitriol towards me!
Whilst she was in hospital a friend of hers came onto my page and accused Me!! Of causing it.
I daren't even read the things she wrote. She was not sober

I am very impressed by the fact you take cyber bullying seriously. It is a horrendous ordeal for anyone to go through.
How can I possibly stay there. It got so bad yesterday that a dear friend pushed the report button & finally after continual harrassment since 21/2 they took action as my friends were so upset on my behalf!!
I had managed 2 weeks & because of this i am back to day 2! I just could not cope with it.
I thought it was now illegal in Australia to allow this. It certainly is not permitted on Facebook & they use F k.
I have felt so frightened and alone with this & it is very hard to forget it all. I wonder if i move here whether there is friendship & support as in my short 3 weeks I did meet some kind supportive people! The whole incident was a nightmare!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry I do have twinges in my liver area but it my emotional state which has taken the battering & scared of liver damage if I drink to relieve the pain of this bullying
Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Halt4Calm

I'm unsure if you're in Australia or the UK but in Australia there's certainly a lot of info around:

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/workp...ing-fact-sheet

Bullying and harassment ? Employee entitlements ? Fair Work Ombudsman

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/...place-bullying

About workplace bullying | ReachOut.com Australia

http://www.stopbullyingsa.com.au/doc..._employees.pdf

As far as the drinking goes...obviously that's no real solution. It makes no sense to cause yourself further pain.

I know you'll find a lot of support here.

I think you'd be better off with your own thread in our Newcomers forum, but I don't want to confuse you any more just now.

I'll check in again in the morning - my bedtime now

D
Old 03-03-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buzz Kilowatt View Post
Get another professional opinion.

The fact that the doctor prescribed acetaminophen to an alcoholic raises a big flag to me. Just look at the label on a Tylenol bottle for the warnings and contraindications.

Acetaminophen and alcohol combined can cause severe or even fatal liver damage.
Yes definitely. Alcohol and Tylenol together can destroy you liver fast. Sometimes in a few months. What a terrible Dr.