Notices

Trying To Stop After 30 Years Of Drinking

Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Nightwolf,
We are the same age and enjoy the same feeling you get under the iron. Been lifting for 34 years unfortunately been drinking just as long. 6 days sober, if you need to talk Im here brother. Yours in iron, Lazyboy
Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nightwolf!

nah, it's never too late - I changed my life at 40 after many years of 24/7 drinking.
It's not easy - but the folks here help a lot

Good to have you aboard
D
Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dear Nightwolf,

A big hugh Welcome!!! to SR

Well, it took me until I was almost 52 Wolf...I will be 53 next month. I'm a woman but none the less, an Alcoholic woman. I can really understand and relate to what you said about the lack of sleep without booze Wolf...I was exactly the same in that regard and "believed" I needed to drink to sleep. I called what I did sleep but it was nothing but thrashing around and waking up soaking wet from the booze after about 3 or 4 hours?! I know now that I'm sober that was NOT sleeping only passing out and suffering. I surely didn't feel the least bit rested I know that much.

Now...I'm an odd ball (Dingus! in my words) and it took me along time to learn how to sleep after I got sober Wolf. BUT....it was WORTH every single bit of hanging in there and waiting!! Now...when I sleep I wake up refreshed and feel happy to be alive and thankful for my soberity and life. Lord only knows I'd not of lived a whole lot longer the train wreck I was on.

Anyways...I do hope you try out the A.A. Meetings, I swore I'd NEVER go to "THAT"!!!! Well, I did and have never looked back Wolf. Up hear in Canada, everything is NO smokeing now where I live at least and you gotta go outside to smoke which helps. I sure am glad you found SR Wolf! I host a meeting on hear on Friday night's at 9:00 pm EST time if you'd be interested....the sharing is amazing and ALL alcoholics and/or addicts are welcome to come. There is no pressure but alot of friends who just come together to share their experiences, strength and hope with each other. Maybe you'd give it a thought and a try? Hope so

I wish you all the very best in your journey Wolf!

Love Pancake xo for letting me share with you Wolf
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you for finding the strength to stop. I'm 50 as well. Drank myself stupid for 30 years. Stopped almost 2 years ago.

I simply can not say how fantastic sobriety is. As happy as I thought drinking made me.....sobriety rocks my world on every level.

Please stick around the forum. Lots of good people here.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

NightWolf, welcome to SR! As has been said ad nauseam, it's never too late to want to live a better life. Never too late to want more good things for yourself.

I'm kinda new to this (5 weeks tomorrow) and I'm in the Atlanta area as well. We're lucky in that there are 1200 AA meetings a week in the metro area and many different places hold meetings. Let me know if you'd like more info. I myself was a daily drinker for over 10 years, and AA has helped me tremendously in this fight against the booze.

Good luck to you and keep coming here; lots of good people who only want to help.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You can definitely do this - I did it after a lifetime of drinking & I'm older than you. My drinking escalated until I was never without it in my system. I could no longer control where it would take me once I took that first drink. It was give it up or die way before my time - from liver trouble, a bad fall, or car wreck. I was out of control - but no more. Thanks to SR and my friends here who proved it could be done, I am over 2 yrs. sober.

Keep talking to us and let us know how it's going. We're behind you - and we know you can make it through this. Best wishes on your new life.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
And that was every night of the week...

I just turned 50, and admit I'm a mess now. Up to even just two years ago, I thought I had everything under control. I was still a big, strong tough-guy, throwing 340lbs. around for reps. But not much had changed since I was young. Come home, catch a warm, fuzzing feeling, and enjoy a movie, or a record album. Today, it's the internet. Mostly, though---I drink/drank just to get some sleep. Without alcohol, I am up for days (DAZE) at a time just miserable.

I guess working-out, and popping supplements like crazy, plus eating well, made me think I could still skate along, but no longer. My body is hurting.

My mom is a nurse, and tells me it's never too late to stop. I'd like to believe that. But I just feel hopeless. A hopeless old man.

I wish everyone well, with their struggle.
Hi Nightwolf - Just wondering how your journey has been. I know it has been quite a while since your post. I hope you are doing well. Would love to hear how you are doing now.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Nightwolf,
I was a daily drinker for a very long time. Gave it up at age 53. It was hard but every aspect of my life has improved. With some sober time all the feelings of dispair will go away. I'm not always happy now but I sure do feel better most days.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome, you're not alone bud.

Well the first step is admitting you have a problem. After that it becomes much easier to make a plan or goal to quit. I too was a gym enthusiast, I began lifting not only because it was something that I loved, but because it also kept me abstinent. I knew that it would be counter-productive to drink large amounts of alcohol if I was looking to build muscle and gain strength. Unfortunately I eventually became more stressed when I entered a new job, I started smoking marijuana. VERY big mistake on my part. I eventually quit the gym almost entirely due to almost constant fatigue and mental dullness. My anxiety was worse than ever. I began to drink more and smoke pot regularly to calm my nerves... and we'll you get the picture. If I had known what I was getting into at the time I would of taken twenty steps back before I ever took that first puff. Thankfully I've quit smoking that stuff, I've been sober since July 4th. Shortly after that I stopped drinking altogether. And I have to say, I feel much better. I'm exercising harder than ever before, and am also taking my general nutrition needs into account as well. I'm very pleased with the changes that have occurred not to only my mental stabilizeness, but also physical endurance. To be honest, it wasn't easy. But I promise you it's worth it. You can take your life back one step at a time. and there's a whole group of people here ready to help you take it back. It's hard work, But I promise you won't regret the results you see.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi Nightwolf!

I quit drinking at 54 after drinking daily for 33 years. You are never too old to live life once again. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willowsweeping View Post
Well the first step is admitting you have a problem. After that it becomes much easier to make a plan or goal to quit. I too was a gym enthusiast, I began lifting not only because it was something that I loved, but because it also kept me abstinent. I knew that it would be counter-productive to drink large amounts of alcohol if I was looking to build muscle and gain strength. Unfortunately I eventually became more stressed when I entered a new job, I started smoking marijuana. VERY big mistake on my part. I eventually quit the gym almost entirely due to almost constant fatigue and mental dullness. My anxiety was worse than ever. I began to drink more and smoke pot regularly to calm my nerves... and we'll you get the picture. If I had known what I was getting into at the time I would of taken twenty steps back before I ever took that first puff. Thankfully I've quit smoking that stuff, I've been sober since July 4th. Shortly after that I stopped drinking altogether. And I have to say, I feel much better. I'm exercising harder than ever before, and am also taking my general nutrition needs into account as well. I'm very pleased with the changes that have occurred not to only my mental stabilizeness, but also physical endurance. To be honest, it wasn't easy. But I promise you it's worth it. You can take your life back one step at a time. and there's a whole group of people here ready to help you take it back. It's hard work, But I promise you won't regret the results you see.
Great post!
Old 08-19-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Nightwolf welcome to the forum this is a great place to be .
50 ? I am 60 its just a number . Ive been drinking since early teens and knew long ago I was a different drinker a problem drinker , an alcoholic call it what you wish but I know this : being sober is much easier that being drunk but don't get me wrong life can still have its ups and downs and at the moment I am struggling with terrible mood swings but I also know through past experience that this will ease off through time .
I,m happy to see you here and hope you stay and read through the forum.
I am 19 days sober . I have had spells of 2 years sober and some spells of a few weeks and 3 -5 months . I heard a previous poster saying the other day " I don't have another relapse in me " well same goes with me I,m sick of feeling sick especially the mental side of this .

I wish you all the best
Old 08-19-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nightwolf's post is from 2010.
I hope, wherever he is, he's doing well

D