Notices

How long will Oxycodone stay in my body?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How long will Oxycodone stay in my body?

Hi Everyone,

I am almost off oxycodone after struggling with it for about a year. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long it remains detectable in your body with a blood or other test. The reason I want to know is I don't want to drive until it is completely out of my system because I just got my license back after an OWI charge. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

pmich - why would you be taking a blood or any other test to drive?

That asked, Oxycodone, depending on the amount taken, can stay in the system anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks via a blood test. There are tests now in place, however, that can determine drug use up to 80 days. These new blood tests are so sensitive they can pick up alcohol ingested even from the use of mouthwash. There are also hair strand tests being done now that can tell if someone has used drugs up to 6 months back. This test even picks up alcohol usage, however slight.

Still curious what one (testing) has to do with the other (driving)?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Post About Testing..

Well since I've already had a driving intoxicated I'm concerned that if something was to happen (accident etc.) they usually do a blood test if they have any suspicion. I don't want to get into any more trouble!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

I have never heard of a blood test being done at the sight of an accident, pmich, and I have been a nurse for over 10 years. If you are clean, then there should be nothing to worry about.

Forgive me for this, but I think you have other reasons for asking...at least it sounds like it to this addict. Could be my suspicious mind at work though. I'm known for that sort of thinking.

But, good luck to you regardless!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pmich...forgive me. But as I was scrolling through posts on the board, I noticed the one you made about pain from oxy withdrawal. You mentioned you were tapering down your use. That post was only 3 days ago. So, you are obviously still using...and that is why you want to know about the blood tests.

You have to be HONEST with yourself. You are never going to get clean if you dont. I mean, if you can't come clean to a bunch of addicts in an anonymous forum...well, you are setting a pretty low bar for yourself to continue using again.

Congrats on getting your license back. I hope you don't end up hurting yourself or someone else in the process. If you get clean...you won't have anything to worry about, pmich.

Honesty...at all costs, will get you there.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Reply....

I'm down to 5mg a day that's why I put in my post that I am ALMOST off them... I'm not going to drive anywhere until I have a few days COMPLETELY off them. I have no reason to believe I'll be getting drug tested (not on probation, no legal issues) but I just want to be cautious because I can't afford another OWI adn I don't want to take that risk.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also

So anyways I wasn't being dishonest I have nothing to hide so please don't question my honesty all this is hard enough!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmich View Post
So anyways I wasn't being dishonest I have nothing to hide so please don't question my honesty all this is hard enough!
i hear you on that, you don't come to this site to lie b/c that just hurts your recovery potential. this is a resource.

anyway, I exercise a lot and drink plenty of fluids. when i came out of detox, my urine analysis showed zero trace of oxycodone. i had been using about 60mg/day for over 6 months. i was in there for 3 days and 2 nights and took a 40mg pill without crushing at 7pm the night before entry.

so basically, compared to other drugs, and depending on your body type, habits, and metabolism, oxycodone and other opiates are short-lived substances in the human body.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you chairmanma for your input! Well I'm almost there 2.5mg today and it's definitely uncomfortable but so far tolerable.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmich View Post
Thank you chairmanma for your input! Well I'm almost there 2.5mg today and it's definitely uncomfortable but so far tolerable.
congratulations on tapering down that far.

i never had the strength to taper. i'd always say, "F&%* it," and pretend like I wasn't out of money and could somehow find some even though I was almost out and had barely enough money to buy gas for my car.

what are your plans after you are completely off the pillz? how do you think you'll maintain sobriety?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On The Road to Recovery!

Same here. I never could taper... I got down to three 10mg and started going into withdrawls and that was enough. If I had them I would take them. So I cold turkey'd it once. Then..... well lets just say im giving it another go this weekend... Wish me luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Question I hope somone smarter than I am can answer. I have a blood test on Friday by the good old XX I am on a script for Morphine already so we know that will show up. However last weekend before I knew I was going to be tested and on the prior week up till Monday morning I had taken Oxycontin and a Oxycondone that were from a prior script because the Morphine script was running out. Will the Oxy show up in a blood or Urine test or whatever they do at the XX. I know they are ticked because I contacted a senator over my meds not getting to me on time. that ticked them off and I immediatly got a call for a drug test. I know nothing can happen as I did have a scrip for it and just had some left over but I do not need the hassle and also give them a reason to withold my morphine from me. Call me paranoid but I have never trusted the XX and never will. They tell you to come forward if you have an abuse problem but if you do look out you are in for the ride of your life. I no longer drive because of taking the morphine and the reason for the pain is not in question so I do not know what their problem is. I also tried a cold turkey one time and ended up with a big fat heart attack and was very ill for over 3 months. I would not recomend that to anyone. The XX will not preascribe oxy but they hand hour morphine like candy and I do not understand that.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From everything I read and been told by professionals, Synthetic opiods like oxy typically are untraceable by 2.5 days. Mind you this depends on how heavy you've used. One of my acquaintances who actually does these test told me that synthetic opiods are pretty much undetectable after 4 days even if you were a heavy user. Oxy has a VERY short half-life and is not fat soluble like cannabis. If it;s been longer than 4 days, don't think twice about it.
However, you may want to seriously consider the impact of using drugs illegally. I never have myself nor would I ever. Even at the height of my dependency, it was all legal.
That my friend is the difference between W/D at home or in jail.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice, I was on a heavy dose of oxy by script of 240 mg a day and now take 250 of Morphine and it leaves me at a 3 to 4 pain from a combat related injury. All my use has been by script and what I used was from one that was about 2 months old and before I was switched to Morphine because they do not supply oxy because of such a bad rap it has gotten. I am sure that both are killing my liver but living in pain 24 X 7 is no fun either. I had massive back trama in a crash which has left me with pretty much a metal backbone. Like I said I do not drive and I do that on a voluntary basis as I do not want to risk someone elses life because of my pain so I have to get a driver everywhere and even to this stupid test. I have right at 4 days to be at a point that I figure it should not be a factor and if it does show up I will fess up I used an old script because the pain was just to much. I do not feel any legal issues I am just not wanting the hassle of it all. I am paranoid about certain groups and they are better than we are because they are pain free and can live a normal life that I was deprived of when I got my draft notice in 1968. The rest is history. Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That must have been very hard to go off that quick. I have never gotten a high off of oxy but it is the only drug that actually brings the pain to a level where I can somewhat enjoy life. I am encouraged by your 4 day detox and showing clean afterwards. I would dream of the day that I never had to take another pill but till someone invents an artificial back I am stuck with this. There are so many issues that they cannot even name them all yet they worry about a drug test and I honestly do not know what they are even looking for. I mean if they are looking for street drugs I am golden. If they are looking for script drugs I am legal. I just do not know what it is they are expecting to find. I would not even know where to buy a street drug and would be scared to death to try. Plus I really do not enjoy being on Morphine all that much anyway as it only works about half as good as oxy in pain releif. But your detox gives me hope that all will go well and life will go on. Maybe I am being way to paranoid about it.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree about the Morphine being a bad pain controller - long term that is! I have been hospitalized during a few major surgeries and for me, the morphine only cut the pain for like 4 days. They had to change it at day 5 to dilaudid because surgical pain was through the roof. After all, they had just cracked my chest of few days before.