let go of your addict

Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

let go of your addict

My goodby letter to addicts

Dear addicts,
This is a goodbye letter to addicts. I have to leave you and your sad pretense to what is important. I wish I could make you be a friend, but you do not have the tools of love that are needed to be my friend. The saddest day of my life is to know that I have loved so many whose only true love was their addiction. I tried, Oh God how I tried, to show addicts that my love is more important then the high of crack or whatever drug that is your love today. I was left standing in the rain of my own tears saying goodbye once again.
From today on until I go to meet my maker I will only share myself with people who have the capacity to share back, whole hearted sharing, not just the bit you gave to keep me waiting in line. Should you one day finally release your need to your higher power and become a person with the higher power calling the shots rather then the high, we will try again to become friends.
I choose to live life in the light of day, in the reality of what is truth, and the spirit of my God. Today is my day, today is my life, today I came to realize the futility of living to make another happy, or comfortable. I cannot and will not ever again live for another and forget to live myself.
Tomorrow will be handled when it arrives, for it is only a possibility, today is my reality, right now is my moment.
May Gods strength and faith lead you to his side and make you well, I am not strong enough to be that strength, and faith in me will not help in your recovery. We can be friends, we can have hope but, we can not have a relationship with addiction as a partner.
I do not over-love anymore that only damages me, and makes you feel worse then you already do so just know I care without judging or bitterness.
I choose my life without the darkness and without the fears I once knew.
Gods blessing on all people wherever you are and under which cloud you sleep.
Gods Blessings for this day.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The saddest day of my life is to know that I have loved so many whose only true love was their addiction. I tried, Oh God how I tried, to show addicts that my love is more important then the high of crack or whatever drug that is your love today. I was left standing in the rain of my own tears saying goodbye once again.
This line really touched my heart, lost, because no matter what our relationship is, parent, partner, friend...we each thought, at one time or another, that we would be "the one" to save them, the one who cared enough to stick it out, and in the end, I know I was "the one" who almost enabled him into his grave.

It's sad to walk away, when we find recovery and they do not. It's sad, but it's healthy. The alternative sucked the life right out of me until I finally let go.

Thanks for sharing this.

Hugs
Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this letter. I too have learned it doesn't matter how much you love someone...only they can help themselves. Even a daughters love can cure her mother's sickness.

Originally Posted by lost84 View Post
My goodby letter to addicts

Dear addicts,
This is a goodbye letter to addicts. I have to leave you and your sad pretense to what is important. I wish I could make you be a friend, but you do not have the tools of love that are needed to be my friend. The saddest day of my life is to know that I have loved so many whose only true love was their addiction. I tried, Oh God how I tried, to show addicts that my love is more important then the high of crack or whatever drug that is your love today. I was left standing in the rain of my own tears saying goodbye once again.
From today on until I go to meet my maker I will only share myself with people who have the capacity to share back, whole hearted sharing, not just the bit you gave to keep me waiting in line. Should you one day finally release your need to your higher power and become a person with the higher power calling the shots rather then the high, we will try again to become friends.
I choose to live life in the light of day, in the reality of what is truth, and the spirit of my God. Today is my day, today is my life, today I came to realize the futility of living to make another happy, or comfortable. I cannot and will not ever again live for another and forget to live myself.
Tomorrow will be handled when it arrives, for it is only a possibility, today is my reality, right now is my moment.
May Gods strength and faith lead you to his side and make you well, I am not strong enough to be that strength, and faith in me will not help in your recovery. We can be friends, we can have hope but, we can not have a relationship with addiction as a partner.
I do not over-love anymore that only damages me, and makes you feel worse then you already do so just know I care without judging or bitterness.
I choose my life without the darkness and without the fears I once knew.
Gods blessing on all people wherever you are and under which cloud you sleep.
Gods Blessings for this day.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I need to let go....I am hurting so much right now...just can't get stable now
Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to see that you are putting yourself 1st! Removing yourself from the Chaos and ungratefullness...perfect!

Rose
Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ROSE,
How do I let go ofthis pain and sleep again?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi haunted......welcome to SR.....maybe you can start your own thread and introduce yourself? What is your story?

There are a lot of folks here who have been through the exact same thing you are currently experiencing.....there are a lot of folks here who have felt and still feel exactly how you feel right now. Keep reading and posting!

Lost......that is a very nice letter that encapsulates all that those of us who love an addict feel. Letting go is hard, but if we don't, the ride is sooooo much darker.

Hugs and Prayers, HG
Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

You go girl. Glad you've worked your way up to what you have so eloquently written!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hydrogirl,
I appreciate your comment. I am new and did not mean to step on anyones toes, if I did. I am trying to figure out how to post a new one. Thanks for the welcome and I will figure this out soon, I hope.
I am really lost right now.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That was touching. Like a bucket of ice cold water tossed on myface.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It was beautiful and it is exactly the attitude I'm (finally) incorporating into my life. Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm trying...not there yet...but u go girl.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today is my Birthday and I am giving myself a gift, I hope. JMB started my Birthday off with telling me I am not worth celebrating. It crushed me so much. I have cried most of the night, I need to get to sleep now. God only knows what kind of day it will be with him if he comes to where I live and tries to cause trouble.
I GUESS I REALLY NEED TO LET GO. I ma so tired.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SO WONDERFUL!!!!!!! THANKS, YOU MADE MY DAY!
This time tears of JOY!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys for a great new beginning and a very happy birthday!:day6
Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i want to feel THIS again. the ups and downs of letting the addict go is so hard!!!