Notices

Is Buspar an anti-anxiety or anti-depression?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Buspar an anti-anxiety or anti-depression?

I was prescribed some a while back, and was told that it can be a take-as-needed, and also told that it had to be taken for 2 weeks to be in your system. These 2 statements seem contradictory........Any bad side effects? I was told that it's safe, and have taken them, but never really noticed much difference....Gotta go to work.... back later tonight..
Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Buspar (buspirone) Information from Drugs.com
Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"PRESCRIBED FOR: Buspirone is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders or for the short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety. Buspirone is especially effective in persons with generalized anxiety of a limited or moderate degree. It is not very effective in persons with severe anxiety, panic disorders, or obsessive-compulsive disorders."

(From: buspirone (Buspar) - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com)

My own experience with Buspar included no side effects and no potential for abuse. It appeared to help me 'unwind' before bed and sleep better.

This is NOT medical advice, and NOT a recommendation, everything could be different for you, see your doctor.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've moved this to the Anxiety Forum
I see there is a thread there concoerning this drug.

Hope you can find answers Waterman
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take buspar three times aday I cant really tell it helps any but the Doc said she would feel better if I took them. Some one in the "program" said I wouldnt be sober as long as I took it, that it was the same thing as a diazapam. I know thats a lie cause I still have some.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I take Buspar 3 times a day for general anxiety. I don't notice any side effects and it dose seem to help with my anxiety.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried them. The doctor wanted me to take them 3 times a day and they were 10mg each. I didn't like them. I felt so numb and floaty. I couldn't take a whole pill, they just were too strong....all I could do was veg out or sleep. I had to cut them in half and even that was pretty strong. And I didn't want to be takening anything all the time. I wanted to learn to deal with the anixety and with life. So, I went off of them and was sick for a day. Now I just take 1/4 of a ativan, when I need it and that is only about 1-2 times a week! I feel much better now. I feel much more human now!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Buspar to boost the antidepressant I was taking for severe depression. (I also have severe anxiety). The Buspar did help my depression.
From the other posts I've read and from my own experience it looks like Buspar can help both depression and/or anxiety.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

BuSpar is an anti-anxiety med.
It *must* be taken all the time. It is not meant to be taken as an "as needed" medication. It takes weeks for it to build up in the body to get full effect. That's why it cannot be taken "as needed." You wouldn't get the effect of the medication. It's futile to take it that way.

Baggervance,

Your program friend was incorrect.
BuSpar is *not* a benzo.

Benzos, like xanax, *can* be taken as needed for anxiety. And those with addictions to drugs or alcohol should use extreme caution, and tell their doctor of their addiction prior to getting any meds prescribed for that reason. Benzos are known to re-awaken the addiction.

Please listen to your doctor on medical issues, and not well meaning program friends. Too many people have dropped their prescribed meds as a result of that wrongful information, and gone back out as a result. Some, sadly, never make it back. It's your life at stake. Trust the health professional with your health; trust the program with your recovery.

Shalom!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
BuSpar is an anti-anxiety med.
It *must* be taken all the time. It is not meant to be taken as an "as needed" medication. It takes weeks for it to build up in the body to get full effect. That's why it cannot be taken "as needed." You wouldn't get the effect of the medication. It's futile to take it that way.

Baggervance,

Your program friend was incorrect.
BuSpar is *not* a benzo.

Benzos, like xanax, *can* be taken as needed for anxiety. And those with addictions to drugs or alcohol should use extreme caution, and tell their doctor of their addiction prior to getting any meds prescribed for that reason. Benzos are known to re-awaken the addiction.

Please listen to your doctor on medical issues, and not well meaning program friends. Too many people have dropped their prescribed meds as a result of that wrongful information, and gone back out as a result. Some, sadly, never make it back. It's your life at stake. Trust the health professional with your health; trust the program with your recovery.

Shalom!
Thanks. I asked the doctor about Buspar, and he said he didn't really know what it was(anti-this or anti-that). He also told me the 2 conflicting statements about "as-needed" or continuous...I'm wondering should I keep on taking a small dose daily....He prescribed 3 pills a day, but I've been taking 1/2 pill 3 times a day, and my anxiety isn't bad anymore....
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

Waterman,
I'm sorry your doctor was so uninformed before s/he prescribed you a medication. You *might* want to consider getting another doc under those circumstances. (I know I would!)

In any case, there is always a paper from the pharmacist that describes the medication and how to take it. It would be wise to look it over. And of course, feel free to ask your pharmacist. They actually know much more than the average MD about meds anyway, as that's their specialty. And any that I've spoken to have always been more than happy to take the time and explain anything I asked. They are a great resource, so, use them whenever you are unsure.

Shalom!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i take buspar daily with dizziness when i first started it went away i take 30 mil a day
my friend who is also prescribed it takes it as needed and gets dizzy every time so she wont take the pills every day she would rather complain about her anxiety than do anything about it.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I recently had a bad experience with buspar. It was added to my medication regimen to help with the anxiety issues associate with my bipolar and PTSD.

I was started on a low dose which was increased incrementally. I did fine for the first two weeks which brought me to one pill twice a day. I continued to take as prescribed which increased the dose to 2 pills twice a day.

By the time I reached the "therapeutic" dose the side effects were unmanageable for me. I could not think of common words, for example, I knew one of my dogs was black and white but could not think of the word dog when I was trying to talk about him. I did this with many common words. It was not the "tip of the tongue" thing, it was the word was just not there. My thinking was sluggish and cloudy. I isolated even more than normal. I was cycling between deep, suicidal depression and feeling ok. I would cycle through that several times a day. I was ready to call my doc and tell her to admit me to the hospital as I was unsure how long I could go without following through with the suicidal thoughts.

It took a friend suggesting that maybe the problem was the medication increase. I reduced the medication back down to before I had the severe side effect, one twice a day, and have not had problems since.

I do hope that this was more of an untoward effect rather than a common one as I would not want anyone to go through this.