Notices

Oxycodone withdrawal/experience question

Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxycodone withdrawal/experience question

Hi all,

This maybe a strange post, but, what the heck. I started on Oxycontin a few months ago for back pain and then due to cost I now only take Oxycodone (4x30mg/day). Before I started I had also battled depression/anxiety for years. Not surprisingly after I started taking Oxy, I felt great from both a pain and mental standpoint. But, recently I have felt the need not to be daily dependent on this drug, like I don't want to be a slave. I don't feel as responsible and clear as before. So, I have decided to quit and I am now on day two and it is tough but I think I'll make it. I have been in contact with a friend and trying to remember that I will get better.(But how in the hell people deal with RLS and the depression amazes me!!!!).

As I read other posts, it seems that quite a few people struggle with quitting/dependence. I guess my question is, why do people want to to quit?

In fact, I keep asking myself this also...especially now :-) What is it that makes us wants to quit? What have some of you gone through that have made you say "OK, this stuff helps with my pain but I want OUT"?

As a side bar, reading advice from ya'll about dealing with detoxing has been very helpful....Thank you. I wonder why no one has mentioned drinking alcohol (maybe that would be improper due to the nature of the forum, if so, I apologize for bringing it up). Granted, I have been in no mood to drink but desperate times do call for desperate measures. Of course, I am saying this to those people that don't abuse alcohol...but would it help get us through this pain?

I am curious to hear your responses and I hope I made sense.

Thx, C
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i was once of a slew of benzos (klonopin) and and an addiction (obviously)

Some people were surprised that I wanted off these things, because for an addict these were like gold.
I wanted out because they controled me and they really didnt work anymore. My dose had been increased to the point of stupid and the only way I could feel some relief from anxiety again was to up the dose even further.
But to what end?
Same goes with opiates, they start to control you and your life and then the quality of life you and i lead is poor.
Not to mention they kill too.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thx-that is similar to feeling I've been having about the path my life was taking.

Also, to all, excuse my reference to using alcohol as a band-aid, battling depression with a depressant makes no sense.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Emmer, how do you deal with anxiety now?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

truthfully? I am using and am addicted to codeine.
I have used it on and off for years but , I used it to help wean off benzos and it worked really well, for a very short time.
Now I abuse them (T1's) something awful, and am having liver pains from all the (attached tylenol) but I am going to counselling on monday and Im going make an appointment to see a addictions doctor this week too.

I was thinking on switching to weed but I don't want to. I want instead, to give the NA program an honest chance and see if i can learn a new way of handling life.

I've spent too many years doping myself and nothing has changed for me, for the good, so I need to make a change.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Emmer what ever you do you have to get off the tylenol It will kill you faster then the opiates.I was on high amounts of opiates and went to suboxone for a short time then nothing and I have to tell you its hard but I feel better then ever.Good luck go for it your worth it
Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

It scares the hell out of me when I hear someone such as yourself who knows they are addicted to one substance, consider using another substance such as alcohol to help with the withdrawals from the first.

I've shared this many times, but some may not know. My younger sister was a cocaine addict and when that got way too expensive and she saw the downward spiral she was on, she began having a few drinks to unwind. She died of cirrhosis of the liver two years later, at the age of 26.

As addicts were are so prone to switching our addictions so easily. There are people whose doctor have put them on different medications such as benzos to help with anxiety. But many mistake benzos as something to help with depression, which is not true. That is not what benzos are meant for. If someone can take these as prescribed, working closely with their doctor and be completely honest about everything as far as their addiction, then these drugs can truly help. But alcohol is not something that a doctor ever prescribes to help with withdrawals from any other substance. Sure, many doctors believe that a glass of wine daily can help heart patients, in some cases, but we're not talking about that.

My DOC was also opiates. I abused them very heavily for many, many years. The reason that I decided to get Clean and Sober was because my whole life revolved around these drugs. I could not do anything, go anywhere, nothing, without a mess of pills in my system around the clock. I had such a bad habit that when I started going through withdrawals, I became very sick. These pills no longer had anything to do with trying to relieve physical pain, they no longer "helped with the emotional pain" that I was feeling. They only caused so much more pain in my life to the point of being suicidal. Drugs (and alcohol) had cost me nearly everything in my life, people, jobs, self respect, hope, faith . . .

Three and a half years later, I am happy. I don't need drugs or alcohol to make me feel normal. I am getting to know who I am, finding out what things in life I like and dislike and my life is ran by pills, powders and liquids.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 02-21-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats what I have done, shifted addictions. It was alcohol, then pills. pills were so much cleaner, easier, quicker. Now here I am, same boat you are in thinking the same thing. I wonder if drinking will take care of some of this anxiety, actually crossed my mind many times today. I am in day 3 of a 240mg oxy habit with drawl. Then what, alcohol seems to smooth things over, but then there is tomorrow, what then? Cant drink at work but come str8 home or call in sick and drink to ease the stomach cramps, back aches, the tingly in the legs, restless sleep.
I am thinking the best way is to do it with ibuprofin, ativan, benzos. fight through it. I tried once, got 8 days. honestly, after the 5th day I felt alot better, but I hear it comes in phases so I guess I never got to phase 2. I just gotta get through this first part. good luck to you. My next 2 days are going to be the worst.
hang in there man, we can do this
Old 02-21-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I say ... it's a lot smarter to quit opioids without the aid of other intoxicating substances.

But then I would also say ... there is something to be said for the notion 'do what you gotta do' to get through the withdrawals

But I say that with a major caveat ... that should be 'provided that what you use to do so isn't going to endanger your life, or give you other withdrawals to contend with'

What I mean is ... it would be highly inadvisable for anyone to use a drug they've previously had problems with in order to ease the pain of opioid w/d's. And using any intoxicating drug such as benzos or alcohol, regardless of whether you've had a problem with them in the past, lessens your chances of a successful recovery after your withdrawals are over. So you're better off without them, in general. But if you DO use them for w/d purposes, you better make damn sure you stop them as soon as you start feeling better. Otherwise, it's real easy to have a whole other problem to contend with...
Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Update

Thx for the posts everyone and goodluck to UncleChunky & Emmer in their quests.

Update: After I made my initial post I had trouble sleeping (RLS) that night so I took 30mg Oxy/5mg Methadone and that worked ok. For emotional support, I kept reading posts here on SR and talking with friends so that helped but physically I was blah and yawning throughout the day. But come bedtime, hello RLS so I would take the dose above to help me sleep.

A couple days later I went down to 15mg Ox/5mg M when I got the RLS and that helped (I was maybe getting 5/hrs night sleep). Then, on Thursday I went 4hrs south by train and forgot to take any pills so I have slept about 4hrs since I've been here.......aye caramba!

But, all in all I think the worst is behind me. Granted, my old anxieties (which were blanketed by Oxy) have returned and while I am sure they are amplified by my lack of rest; I will have to deal with them somehow/day anyways. I will try healthy living with a heavy dose of loving friends and family to start. And, I will keep using SR, it is very validating and informative.

Thanks again...see you around SR
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Unhappy Please Help

I have been on 5mg oxycodone for about three years due to an injury. I take three a day and I know that is not alot but I tried to not take one the other day and was really irritable and nausiated. Will I go through really bad withdrawals even though I only take 3x 5mg a day? If so is it because I have been on them for three years or so? I started off taking one a day than two and now three. I have only been taking three a day for about four months. Can someone help me get through this, I do not want to be on them anymore. I am forgeting things all the time and not wanting to leave my house and my attitude sucks lol....
Please Help I dont want to go on methadone or anything and my husband doesnt know I am addicted and I do not want him to know.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Finally Honest

Hopeful,

My suggestion first is to bring your concerns to your Dr. He/her and yourself can work on a plan to slowly ween you off them. My question to you is do you still need to take them for your injury (really) or have you just kept taking them because you can. There is a fine line between addiction and physical dependance and you and your Dr. can determine that together. Make an appointment!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

hopeful1984:
Welcome to SR. Why not start a new thread, letting us know a little about yourself and maybe we can go from there. This thread is a tad old...

Again, welcome!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How do I start a new thread lol
Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by hopeful1984 View Post
How do I start a new thread lol
Done.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know I have been taking them because I can , it seemed to make everything easier, like cleaning the house and watching movies was more relaxing. I know once I am off these I can just take advil or something, because I am only taking the oxycodone now to not make me sick. I just want to know if the withdrawel will be as bad as some one on oxycotin, does it even out because I have been on oxycodone for three years? Thanks everyone for answering my questions it really means alot!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Please see the new thread:
"Please welcome hopeful1984"
Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been on a VERY slow taper from oxycodone, and I have been having terrible trouble.

The depression returns in spades and I always loved red wine (and know a lot about it) and did not realize that I have been destroying my liver (I am not, by any measure, a heavy drinker.)

For the past month, I have been very ill with elevated liver enzymes, nausea, pain, exhaustion.

I feel that oxycodone has ruined my life. I have lost everything from it (and it is prescribed, not scored.)

I truly fear death. I have been an athlete/dancer for all my life, ultra-healthy and health-conscious, and now I have nothing but these nasty pills.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What have you done for recovery? Lots of folks have gotten past horrid opaite addictions and now there are more options than ever. Have you considered rehab? Hopefully, you can detox and learn to live in recovery through therapy and support groups. If not, Opiate Replacement Therapy (ORT), methadone or suboxone may be used as a last resort.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Frankly, I am paralyzed and I have lost my life.

How do I start a new thread or subscribe to a thread?