benadryl abuse

Old 12-21-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

benadryl abuse

I am a mother of an addicted son. I just witnessed him on a benadryl abuse situation. I've never done a blog before, but I need help and support. I have gone to al-anon and worked the 12 steps, but haven't kept up with the meetings.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! You will find much support here.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Welcome to SR...

I have seen my AH abuse over the counter drugs like Benadryl and tylonal and such... Not to scare you but he usually does this when he can't get his hands on his Drug of Choice..

Is there a way that you can get back to those meetings?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son has abused otc drugs. Jerect is exactly right that they will turn to those when they cant get what they want. My son started to otc drugs because he wont test positive on drug tests. The kids also think that if its otc its not as bad as doing illegal drugs. But they are wrong. There are so many otc drugs that they take - they just take 10 or 20 times the recommended does.

My son overdosed on unisom about three months ago - unknown to me if you take two you go to sleep and if you take a handful you hallucinate. He took 20. It was one of the scariest things i've ever experienced and he was right its really hard to find them in drug tests - even once we knew what he took they couldnt see it in the standard tests. He didnt know who we were or even who he was for about 10 hours and we almost got to the point that they had to strap him to his hospital bed. Because they couldnt find what or if he had taken anything at the ER they had to rule out that something else was wrong with him so we had a multitude of tests including cat scan and spinal tap.

Kids dont think that otc drugs are as dangerous as other drugs but they are and you should take it just as serious as you would if he was using heroin, crack, or meth.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Welcome to SR...there are angels here. This site saved my life, and I credit the people here with keeping me sane...there is lots of reading to do, check out the stickies on the top of this page. Lots of helpful reading to be done.
Sorry you have to be here....but welcome!!!
NSW
Old 12-23-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

a drug is a drug.. welcome to s.r. i am glad you are here. my son too is an addict. there are lots of moms here & we all have the same problem,our children. there is not anything you can do for him.keep coming back & read & read some more. this site saved my sanity. lots of help & understanding here.prayers for you & your son,