OT - does anyone remember when TV ended at midnight...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

There actually is a Mayberry. I believe it's in North Carolina. Here's something I always wondered: What did "Mayberry RFD" stand for?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

oh man. i'm going to stick out like a sore thumb here, but my favorite show growing up was "saved by the bell" and "doogie howser" was a close second. i was 5 when they both started on the air!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

OK, I guess it's about time fer me.....y'all are a bunch o youngins.....BTW .... the Mayberry RFD was a postal destination.....Mayberry....Rural Free Delivery.

My favorite TV shows were the Saturday morning cartoons and chapters like....:

Crusader Rabbit; Winky-Dink; Mighty Moust; Captain Midnight; Flash Gordon; The Green Hornet; Jungle Jim; Ramar of the Jungle.....

Of course there were some fun shows in the evening.....:

I Married Joan; The Life of Riley; My Little Margie; December Bride; Amos and Andy; Howdy Doody; Red Buttons; Red Skelton; The Mickey Mouse Club (from the first time - 1955).....

Ahhhhh, the memories..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 04-01-2008, 01:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
There actually is a Mayberry. I believe it's in North Carolina. Here's something I always wondered: What did "Mayberry RFD" stand for?
Rural Free Delivery. I am a font of utterly useless information!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I remember TV going off very vaguely. I am 28 now so this would be the early 80's??? Some GB folks may help me out on that one. I don't remember there being any National Anthems or poems though here. On channel 4 I do remember there was a picture of a young girl sitting in front of a chalk board with some toys. I remember getting up in the morning and having to wait for the children's programmes to start and watching her.

My favourite cartoon as a child was disney's Gummy Bears and I also loved the Care Bears and the Racoons. I also remeber Lost in Space, most probably a repeat that I watched. Every Sunday lunch time again on CH 4 they put on the show. There would always be a Quinn Martin TV production show on so I became a big fan of Lost in Space and then Land of the Giants and the Invaders! As I got older I loved Star Trek the Next Generation and Quantum Leap. Aaah, Dr Sam Beckett, mmmmm.

Lily xxxxxxxxx
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

My Favorite Martin (was before Bill Bixby became the Hulk)

Dobie Gillis
Bob Denver, played his best friend, beatnick Maynard G. Krebs before he became Gilligan from Gilligan's Island
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Okay, i gotta get on this bandwagon...

I remember, before i went to kindergarten, there was a program for pre-schoolers. The lady who was the teacher was SO NICE!!!

I remember The Friendly Giant. I still can hum the theme song (played on a flute) as the Friendly Giant took us into the make-believe land. I remember only being able to see his hand and arm as he moved the figures around and told the story. He was SO NICE!

I remember Soupy Sales, White Fang, Black Tooth, and the pies in the face. He was so funny.

I remember Johnny Ginger.

I remember Shock Theatre for the older kids. It did not get over until midnight, so only the older kids could watch it. All B movies I think.

I remember coming home from morning kindergarten. My mom would make me lunch and I would watch I Love Lucy. She was so inspiring for me - here was a person who not a raving beauty nor did she want to be - but she grasped life to the fullest!

I remember Dialing for Dollars with Rita Bell and waiting for my phone to ring when she would call people.

I remember the afternoon movie with Bill Kennedy. He would give tidbits of his former career in Hollywood when he was an actor. He was in one of the Superman TV shows I think, and he liked to talk about that.

My favorite cartoon was the one with Fractured Fables and the Russian couple (Boris and Natasha).
Old 04-01-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I remember the annual showings of Peter Pan-Mary Martin ??
and The Wizard of OZ, Judy Garland - Flyin Monkeys, Holy cow !!!
This was really BIG STUFF

Last edited by geees poncho; 04-01-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Okay, i gotta get on this bandwagon...

I remember, before i went to kindergarten, there was a program for pre-schoolers. The lady who was the teacher was SO NICE!!!

My favorite cartoon was the one with Fractured Fables and the Russian couple (Boris and Natasha).
Some shows were local but all held the same theme I believe.
We had Romp-A-Room with Miss Jean and she would take out the magic mirror and list out birthdays and names.

And we had Boom Town with Rex Trailer.

The Roy Rogers Show with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans

(Boris and Natasha)
The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
Staring Rocky the flying squirrel
Boris Badenov, Natasha Fatale, and Fearless Leader

There was another cartoon but Ican't remember the name.
Was a Canadian Mounty...Ah yes Dudley Do-Right.
A pink panther type character that always won the girl in the end.
Nell, sweet Nell.

Last edited by best; 04-01-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Don't know if this was just a local thing (on the Cleveland stations) but do any of you remember that at 11p there was a "PSA" that announced: "It is 11p o'clock. Do you know where your children are?"

p.s. We had Miss Frances (or "old Frances" I guess one of us called her..ha). She was replaced by (young) Miss Barbara,but still had the magic mirror!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name View Post
Don't know if this was just a local thing (on the Cleveland stations) but do any of you remember that at 11p there was a "PSA" that announced: "It is 11p o'clock. Do you know where your children are?"
Yes!
We had that in Boston as well then comes the 80's and it ran for a few weeks on one channel... It is 11PM do you know where your parents are. *LOL*
Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"...I remember the annual showings of Peter Pan-Mary Martin ??..."

Ah yes, one of my faves; I was fortunate enough (or perhaps you could say, old enough) to have seen Mary Martin perform Peter Pan live on stage, at the Marine's Memorial Theatre in SF.....also lucky/fortunate/ole enough to see her perform in South Pacific and Annie Get Your Gun [with John Raitt (and since I've always been such a Mary Martin fan, I feel she was waaaay better than the original, Ethel Merman)].....also that same season I got to see Julie Andrews and Richard Harrison in My Fair Lady.....my mom wanted to get me outta the movie theater and into the real theatre (lol); of course, back then, these plays were not called musicals, but light opera (predominantly singing, but with a tad of spoken dialogue).

ahhhhh, to go back in time.....youth really is wasted on the young ... lol

NoelleR
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I was telling my son last night that T.V used to shut off at midnight. he's 14 so he totally doesn't relate.

Ngaire
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Romper Room!!! That was it....

I also remember the cartoon with the chicken...
"I sa', I sa', I said...." Wasn't on as much as Mickey Mouse and the others.

My brother liked Roy Rogers (with Tonto, his Indian friend). My mother was concerned he would grow up to be violent.

How about Lassie - when they used the phone they had to ask the operator to connect them to the party they wanted to talk to...
Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I remember the Scheinling All Night Movies...with Bob Shreves and Chickie.....this was back in the 60's like around 1967 or 1968......black and white tv an when it was over at daybreak I would watch the sun come up through the window.....lol And I remember my father would wake up around 2 or so and join us kid's for "Sneak Up" night......lol

Janitw
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

anybody out there remember Sky King and Lincoln Vale of the
Everglades?
how about Romper Room and good old Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans.....
boy am i showing my age on these!!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post

I also remember the cartoon with the chicken...
"I sa', I sa', I said...." Wasn't on as much as Mickey Mouse and the others.
Foghorn Leghorn
My brother liked Roy Rogers (with Tonto, his Indian friend). My mother was concerned he would grow up to be violent. That would be the Lone Ranger with Tonto/Jay Silverheels.
Who was that masked man...as he would leave a silver bullet and ride off into the sunset.
A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty 'Hi-ho Silver away!' The Lone Ranger!

The Lone Ranger Creed

In every incarnation of the character to date, the Lone Ranger has conducted himself by a strict moral code. This code was put in place by Fran Striker at the inception of the character. Actors Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels, taking their positions as role models to children very seriously, also tried their best to live by this creed.

"I believe.....

That to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That 'this government of the people, by the people, and for the people' shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."
Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name View Post
p.s. We had Miss Frances (or "old Frances" I guess one of us called her..ha). She was replaced by (young) Miss Barbara,but still had the magic mirror!

I loved Miss Barbara!

Remember Mr Jingaling (however you spell it) at Christmas time? And Captain Penny, Captain Kangaroo and Mr Greenjeans?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Old Tv

Does any one remember,
The Bowery Boys, satch & ???
My all time favorite The Little Rascals
I name all my pets after them.
Right now I have a male Papillon, Alfelfa,
looking for a female, Darla
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I loved the Little Rascals!