Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Third Step-Turning It over What does this step mean to you

Notices

Third Step-Turning It over What does this step mean to you

Old 01-12-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Question Third Step-Turning It over What does this step mean to you

I am working step 3 (again)
Real recovery begins when a decision is made to "let go" of living our lives our way, and turning it over to a power greater than ourselves.
What does turning over mean? What do you think is the intent of step 3 ?
It is not like turning over a board to inspect the bugs on the bottom side, but rather the word refers to the transfer of possession and control....
Old 01-12-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I found I needed to give away control to gain control.

He who tried to save his life shall loss it but he who gives up his life shall gain.

Doesn't make sense but most of life tends to be that way.
What I do know is when I let go and allowed God...my who life changed.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What best says, plus:

I was using my DOC to have a mental/emotional state that was a known quality. I erronously enjoyed not dealing with my soul's reactions to things. I didn't like and felt uncomfortable with my natural reactions to life events. As a result I was seeking to control my life through the use of my DOC.

For me, step three means accepting that there may be uncomfortable moments each day and realizing that it is unhealthy not to pay attention to my inborn reactions to things. I feel that there are important messages from my subconcious (higher power if that suits ya) that are revealing who I am and how I am relating to the people and events in my life.

When I was high I could avoid these messages. So now at 20+ months sober I am learning to live again and accept the happy reactions and the not so great ones as they come. I've given over control to my higher power.

That and I try not to think so much.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Brewster- well said that step 3 is a giving up of our "known quality" and accepting things as they come. Congrats on 20 mos. sober
BEST- "I needed to give away control to gain control" that is the exact conclusion I am coming to. All the control I thought I had is just an illusion. I was not only trying to be my own HP but my family member's HP too. It took me a long time, but thank GOD I know that is false. That thinking was really the source of much of the conflict.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Spiritual Seeker;1636268] I was not only trying to be my own HP but my family member's HP too.QUOTE]

Yeah, that's it. Same for me.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

let go and let God
Old 01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It means stop focusing on my problems & feeling sorry for myself and do the next right thing.

It was about having faith in knowing that if I did not use, things would work out for the better. It also had to do with becoming realistic about what was and wasn't my obligation or duty to correct, change, or control.