is profuse SWEATING a symptom?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is profuse SWEATING a symptom?

My AH has been sweating very badly every day and to him it is extremely embarrassing. (To me I hardly ever notice it. Maybe it happens to him more during the day when he's at work.) Anyway he thinks it's due to his alcohol abuse. Is that a symptom?
If it is, how long does it take before they stop sweating? (Days?)
I'd hate for him to quit drinking and continue to sweat! Maybe it's something else? Fpr him, the sweating is his #1 reason to quit drinking. (honestly!)
Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sicker than others

i sweat alot.. after drinking...it comes outta your pores.. (the alcohol)
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's usually associated with withdrawal. If it happens more at work (where he isn't drinking) it could be that.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interesting!! So - it's a withdrawal symptom, and it is also a side-effect of drinking too? (sweating the alcohol out your pores?) So...does that mean it will stop a day or so after quitting drinking? (He's never quit for a day!)
Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just came back to add - AH started to have that in the last 4 or 5 years. Really made him angry. Didn't stop the drinking, though. I never heard of it as a side-effect. Just as the alcohol leaves the body, the sweat happens because it craves more.

((()))
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My ex experienced this, too. He would say it was because he lived in AZ and worked in construction all day. He always had an answer for everything, but didn't stop the drinking either.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine starting sweating a lot too in the last year. Mostly on his top lip. People started asking what was up. I always wondered what it was. Figured it had to do with the drinking.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
full of hope

Like you guys said, my AH sweats after drinking. Of course, any symptoms he may have and asks me about I tell him are a result of drinking!
He could have an ache in his toe and I'd say it was from drinking! He has been having an ache in his eye that HE thinks is from drinking and I keep saying, "I bet it is! You better quit before it gets worse!"

I crack myself up!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG - Chero, that is so funny! My AH does that too - always talks about how he's nauseous, has a headache, is so tired all the time and doesn't know why. DUUUUUHHHH!!!! I tell him it's probably a hangover and he just disagrees.... and then we do it all over again in a day or so.

Amazing how every symptom in the world is probably a result of the drinking!

Mine only did the sweating when he was going through withdrawals. I suspect he was only a breath away from advanced stages.

I'm still laughing about the ache in his eye...not that I want him to have an ache, but the part about "you'd better quit before it gets worse!"
Old 03-21-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
full of hope

Whatever works, huh??

Funny thing is I never feel guilty about it!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

well my ex used to sweat all the time but he too was in construction work...but for him it was worse at bed time....the kids told me after he left us that my room didnt smell like alcohol anymore.....
Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Chero and Over_it... I can totally relate to what you are saying.

Anyway... my AH would always sweat as he was sobering up or if he needed a drink. Then, again, whenever he would try to quit drinking on his own. I don't know if he did this when he went through medical detox, though. I don't know about any of you... but this was more prevalent in the later years of his addicition... I'd say about the last 3 (of a 30 year addiction).
Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's a withdraw symptom. It would always start with me about 4-6 hours after my last drink. Then the shakes, then all hell would break loose.

If I was fortunate to fall asleep (or pass out), they (the sweats) would wake me about 4:30 AM. My last set of linens was stained yellow.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My XAH sweated profusely too, especially in the morning. He told me it was from the Effexor he was taking. Yeah, right.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aGrandma View Post
Fpr him, the sweating is his #1 reason to quit drinking. (honestly!)

Hey....whatever works!!!!! If that's what it takes for him...GREAT!

My exAH was a nightly drinker (every evening after work until he went to bed) and started getting bad sweats during the night. EWWWW.stinky! I assumed it was withdrawl,too.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
It's a withdraw symptom. It would always start with me about 4-6 hours after my last drink. Then the shakes, then all hell would break loose.

If I was fortunate to fall asleep (or pass out), they (the sweats) would wake me about 4:30 AM. My last set of linens was stained yellow.

YUP.....sounds familiar. Started happening about a year before my exAH decided to get his "own place"......possibly explains part of the timing! Also, I had stopped sleeping in the same bed,too. Other sleep disturbances besides the sweating....bad dreams,yelling,kicking,etc on top of the sweating,snoring,smell and "equipment failure"..... and a child with heart problems...I needed to at least get some rest.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can't stand the sweat from AH. He finally comes to bed and by morning his side of the bed is soaked with that smelly alcohol sweat. I can't stand it. I have spent more nights on the couch rather than lie there in the reaking of it.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
full of hope

Well, ya'll, I was thinking about the sweat today...and it could be worse...it could be urine!???
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
full of hope

I feel sooo bad that I just said that...hope I didn't offend anyone!???
Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I sweat. (especially my armpits yuck!). And really bad in the summer, when I'm working in the yard. Moreso than most people...I'm talking buckets. But I blame it on the Mt. Dew I drink. See, I don't want to admit I'm slightly overweight, so I blame it on the pop. Why not? I should drink more water

ps......don't tell anyone

G didn't sweat too much....but he did drink a lot of water.