Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Ok, dumb questoin but what does alcohol withdrawl feel like?

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ok this is going to sound stupid but im serious lol anyways i quit smoking about a year ago went though the withdrawl stage got over it smoking is done, ok now im trying to really cut back the drinking (again) aways its like right now im dieting also but not like crazy just watching what i eat and stuff. anyways im going though withdrawls of something but don't know what it is.

is it from alcohol? i know ive been feeling this a lot and like yesterday i felt it and after a few beers i felt great and it was gone.

like right now i feel like a smoke though would be great but i actually think its more that my body wants a drink, im not sure what it is but its really bothering me.

anyways i know that sounds dumb but if anyone has any suggestoins it would be great.

thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My withdrawal has me very easily distracted I think (or just plain stupid sometimes). I'm only a month sober and in that time, have driven right thru a red light in busy intersection (thankfully no person or vehicle harmed). I have provided my telephone number to a person and actually neglected to include digits. I lose my train of thought or forget entire conversations or directions provided to me at work within minutes.

It's bizarre. As far as craving feelings, I've only had one or two highly manageable ones.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not a stupid question at all, but it is one that the only answer I can give you kept me drinking for 10 years. If you feel better after a couple of beers then you are just like I was and needed them to return my BAC to a normal level to where would feel normal. I tried for 10 years to cut back or wean myself off of alcohol and the only thing I accomplished was staying drunk.

Yes it is was/is the early stages of withdrawal from alcohol. Withdrawal varies from peron to person when it comes to total withdrawal I went through de-tox where they gave me meds to cut down on the withdrawal sypmptoms.

Just a warning alcohol withdrawals can kill some folks depending on how bad their habit is, that is why I went to de-tox, just in case.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Withdrawals can kill someone. I can close to death when my lungs collapsed when I quit drinking. I had to be placed into a coma for six days just to clean my system out. I would seek medical attention. I do not think cutting back on drinking is the answer; you need to quit totally.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Insomnia, sweats at night and mood swings for me. I think I got off lightly.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GettinSober View Post
Insomnia, sweats at night and mood swings for me. I think I got off lightly.
You did

Add to that the shakes from hell, rubbery legs, FEAR (of everything), sensitivity to light and noise, constant dry heaves, dizziness, diarrhea, constipation, stomach cramps, dehydration, weakness/fatigue, pounding head, racing heart, high blood pressure (210/160), hallucinations (aural and visual).....but I was a bad case. Hopefully you won't go through as much.

Hang in there, it gets better. If you have anything like I listed, get to a doctor.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nasty.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Green eyed maiden

To start with I didn't even know I was getting withdrawals till they got to the point where I'd get out of the car to go into work 11am and I'd start panicking,crying and breathing funny.

Then I for some reson would think to myself it's just everything getting to me.
My life, so if I have a drink Ill relax.

The second I had a couple of seps I'd be fine.
I still didn't know then, It was my doctor that said I had a problem.

After a while I tryed to think back to when it all started which is really hard because I had been drinking most of the time so it's mostly blurred out of my memory.

I think it stared 3 years ago. Mmm . . . .

xXx angel
Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As far as the urge to smoke goes, yeah thats a withdraw from alcohol syndrome. Everytime I have quit drinking I smoke twice as much as I normally would. It's just your brain trying to relieve anxiety any way it can.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

For me,

Chills so bad it was into the shower to warm up, then sweats that would soak the bed. Shakes bad, jumped at every noise, insomnia from hell, I had aural hallucinations, heard a clock chime when it was not and music. Oh yes and then there is the severe nausa and vomiting with nasty diarrhea all at the same time. Inability to think at all.

And that's just the first 6 hours or so...

No fun.

If you have rough symptoms, a Doctor is well advised.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For many personal experiences please read the sticky here

"Quitting..what to expect"