Notices

2-3 day hangover after only a few beers??

Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down 2-3 day hangover after only a few beers??

When a person drinks a 6-pack (or even less) and then feels hungover for 2-3 days thereafter does it necessarily mean that they have some sort of liver disease or does alcoholism cause this in and of itself?.

I ask this because I went 7 days without any alcohol and then drank a 6-pack and experienced a horrific hangover for 2-3 days afterwards. When I was a teenager, I could have done this while standing on my head (I'm 43 now and male). I had a complete blood workup and liver ultrasound just a few months ago and everything was fine.

Finally, has anyone here ever relapsed while taking Campral and experienced any drug/alcohol interaction?. I was just wondering.

- Regards, Nofuninsuds
Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely think that the older you get, the harder it gets to recover.

But, for sure, check with your dr to see how your health is.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It also emphasizes the theory of the progressive nature of the disease.

I have no knowledge of campral with or without alcohol on top of it, so I cannot comment...although, I can't imagine it would be recommended practice.

Goodness, NFIS...if nothing else, you are living up to your user name. It sure doesn't sound like you're having much fun with your noble experiments...thanks to AA and my HP, I haven't had a hangover in a very long time; but, how well I remember, and I can feel your pain!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply . I think you hit the nail right on the head 51anna. I am discovering more and more every day that I'm not the same person I was when I was in my teens and everything I did back then now requires an extra effort or has some sort of negative affect today.

- Regards, Nofuninsuds
Old 12-14-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whoops, I meant thanks for the REPLIES!. Yes, the longer I've drank, relapsed and then drank again, etc, the worse I've felt each time. I'm just a little guy who has probably only drank for a total of 2-1/2 years total and there are people who have drank for 40 years and lived to be in their 80's so I don't understand why I have to feel so bad after only a few lousy beers. It just doesn't make sense to me. Am I "alcohol intolerant" or allergic to ethanol maybe?.

- Regards, Nofuninsuds
Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I noticed that as my alcoholism progressed to the rather severe stages my hangovers became less and less predictable. One night I could drink 40 beers and wake up feeling fine, another night I could have 4 and wake up with the worst hangover ever.

I'm sure that getting older had something to do with it. I'm only 35, but my body is still not that of a 17 year olds any more (even though I forget that and treat it that way sometimes ). I also think, and this is just my own little theory, that once we reach a certain point in our drinking our bodies just get tired and we go through times when we just can't metabolize and eliminate all the toxins that we pour in.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I second what everyone else said, I'm just 48, and I can tell you I used to bounce back fine after a we bender, now I'm on day 3, and still feel bad physically and mentally. It's really hitting home for me how I have to get away from this habbit.

One of my fav's, Hank Williams, JR, said it best:

"and the hang overs hurt more then they used to
and corn bread and ice tea took the place of pills and ninety-proof,
and it seems like none of us do things quite like we used to do
and nobody wants to get high on the town
and all my rowdy friends have settled down"

Take Care,
Steve
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Could be your body is crying out..."Stop the insanity!"...why continue doing something that is causing you so much discomfort, NFIS?

...feel so bad after only a few lousy beers. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Doesn't make sense to me, either; but, it's your body that's being abused.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Steve58... I've actually heard that song (good song and it makes a LOT of sense too!!).

subliminalurge... I have often thought that was the case myself. It's like your body just gets tired of metabolizing all that poison or at least, it doesn't do it as efficiently as it once did (like when we were all in our teens or early 20's).

raerob... Well, I'm trying (ie; Campral) and I've gone fairly long periods without drinking but I'm still struggling a little bit - not so much with cravings as with just feeling "numb" in my head. My body is definately crying out.

51anna... Harder to recover from alcoholism -or- the hangovers?.

- Regards, Nofuninsuds
Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a friend in my teens who seemed to be completely intolerant of alcohol. Try as he might, he could not keep up with us "mature" drinkers. Of course, being the sensitive and compassionate teenage boys we were, we made sure he lost every drinking contest we played. I look back on that with horror, and am truly sorry for the hell we put him through.

Fast forward to middle age. Still pretty proud of my drinking, oddly though, the hangovers kept getting worse. Each time, just a little sicker, for a little longer. It wasn't until I started thinking about what I was doing to myself that I realized that I wasn,t suffering just from hangovers, but full blown withdrawal. The steak and eggs with a pot of coffee the morning after just wasn't cutting it anymore.

I think they get worse each time with age. Our bodies don't work as well as they used to and we don't seem to be bulletproof anymore.

Whew.

But, at least we don't have to feel that way unless we choose to. We can make a difference in how we feel.

Keep well

Ron
Old 12-15-2006, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just wanted to pop in here again and tell all of you how much I truly appreciate the friendship and support. Being an alcoholic is a lonely and depressing sort of experience and it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I went 7 days without drinking. Then I drank. Then, went another 5 days without a drop. Then I drank again. I went 4 days without drinking this "last time" but then drank last night and this morning...well...you can imagine how I feel this morning...sort of like waking up out of a coma and feeling like a zombie. Headache, anxiety, brain fog, vertigo, diarrhea, eyes hurt, room spinning, etc.

I truly am trying. I used to drink a case of beer (12-beers) every evening and now I'm taking Campral and going fairly long stretches without drinking. I just hope it's enough but I wonder sometimes if it's already too late for me. I wonder if the damage has already been done, you know?.

Incidentally, I was just curious about something...what kind of hangover symptoms do you people have?.

- Regards, Nofuninsuds (no, absolutely none)

Last edited by nofuninsuds; 12-15-2006 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Nofun,

First, its not too late. Second, like you, I am still struggling. It may sound silly to some, but I feel successful in the fact that I am drinking less and less often than I used to since coming here. I still relapse, but better a few days here and there than 4-6 nights/week. So dont give up, it just takes some of us longer than others to get the hint. Sounds like your like me, getting it, but slowly.

On to hangovers, Rarely puke, which is bad. It was so much better when I would purge the night before. Day 1, I'm just real tired, sick like queze, and usually around 3-4 start getting headache (as the last of the alcohol leaves, and I start wanting more. That I expect, but lately I notice the day after the day after still feeling out of sorts, still sick. I'm a runner, and I find my performance sucks for like the next week. My weight used to spring back, now I feel bloated for 3-5 days, and it seems to take a week to fully recover.
(and we all know what our bowls are doing after the overload)

As I have said here, I'm getting a lot of signals that it's time to quit. A sane person would ask, knowing the outcome, why do I always seem to go back. I wish I knew. Guess I have just not had enough yet, but I want to quit before I do.

Take care, try not to drink tonight, as I will!
S
Old 12-15-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nofuninsuds View Post
I just wanted to pop in here again and tell all of you how much I truly appreciate the friendship and support. Being an alcoholic is a lonely and depressing sort of experience and it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I went 7 days without drinking. Then I drank. Then, went another 5 days without a drop. Then I drank again. I went 4 days without drinking this "last time" but then drank last night and this morning...well...you can imagine how I feel this morning...sort of like waking up out of a coma and feeling like a zombie. Headache, anxiety, brain fog, vertigo, diarrhea, eyes hurt, room spinning, etc.

I truly am trying. I used to drink a case of beer (12-beers) every evening and now I'm taking Campral and going fairly long stretches without drinking. I just hope it's enough but I wonder sometimes if it's already too late for me. I wonder if the damage has already been done, you know?.

Incidentally, I was just curious about something...what kind of hangover symptoms do you people have?.

- Regards, Nofuninsuds (no, absolutely none)

Trying??? How are you trying? Are you simply "just trying not to drink"? Or are you actually trying by going to meetings? Because you have "tried" your way a bunch of times and it aint workin'. So what makes you think trying it your way,...yet again.....will work? Nothing changes,....if nothing changes. If I dont have any clue where,...say,....the beach is,....but I try and get there on my own,....chances are Ill get lost. If I try it again,...I get lost. Again,...and I get lost. But,...if I get directions,....Ill find it everytime.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Trying??? How are you trying? Are you simply "just trying not to drink"? Or are you actually trying by going to meetings? Because you have "tried" your way a bunch of times and it aint workin'. So what makes you think trying it your way,...yet again.....will work? Nothing changes,....if nothing changes. If I dont have any clue where,...say,....the beach is,....but I try and get there on my own,....chances are Ill get lost. If I try it again,...I get lost. Again,...and I get lost. But,...if I get directions,....Ill find it everytime.
Easy answer here. If I wasn't "trying", I would still be drinking a case of beer each day which would be significantly harder on my body than simply drinking, for example, once every week (and usually less alcohol during those binges). Another way I'm "trying" is by taking the medication my doctor prescribed for me (Campral) and it works very well to reduce cravings and other unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

This isn't about going to some beach (apples and oranges). It is about managing my alcoholism at my OWN pace and doing the best I can to minimize the damage done to my body by drinking less frequently until my sobriety finally "takes hold". This is the way it worked for me before and after a few false "starts and stops" I was able to go a year and a half without so much as touching a drop.

Everyone has their own way of managing their disease. This happens to be mine.

- Regards, Nofuninsuds
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It is about managing my alcoholism at my OWN pace and doing the best I can to minimize the damage done to my body by drinking less frequently until my sobriety finally "takes hold". This is the way it worked for me before and after a few false "starts and stops" I was able to go a year and a half without so much as touching a drop.
With all due respect, NFIS...it appears to me that you want it both ways...you want to be sober (eventually); but, you want to drink while trying to get there. Instead of putting all your efforts into quitting, you're tapering off. How is that working for you, since you're now "researching" hangover symptoms?

You're right about one thing...it has nothing to do with (apples and oranges)...it's all about quitting drinking or not. Oh, to answer your question...I don't have hangover symptoms, because I don't have hangovers any more, because I don't drink. It's the best cure for hangovers you'll ever find.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

raerob

Sometimes it just takes a little longer or it's just a little more difficult for some of us to reach that point. If you were able to then give yourself a pat on the back. Unfortunately, I have not reached that point yet but as I've already indicated, I am truly trying (ie; Campral and many more sober days). Also, I havn't just begun "researching" hangover symptom since I have lived them myself for years now - I was simply curious as to what each individual person's hangover symptoms were since we are all different and thus react in different ways to the poison that is alcohol and yes, I desperately want to quit but until I finally do, at least I'm not downing a 12-pack each day and I am taking medication for this. I guess each of us has our own personal struggle with this demon and we all have to deal with it in our own way even if that way might seem a bit backwards or strange to others.

- Regards, NFIS
Old 12-15-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Then, I will pray that you find your way to a sober life...one of serenity without the pain of hangovers. Peace out!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

raerob...

Thank you very much. I look forward to that day myself. I guess it's just tougher for some of us to reach that point but when I do go days or weeks being sober, I must admit that it does feel GREAT and rather than waking up with loads of anxiety, heart palps, vertigo, etc, I wake up feeling refreshed and quite good. I haven't touched a drop all day so hopefully I'll feel at least 1/2 way decent tommorow. 4-5 days seems to be the "magic number" for most people (including myself) to detox and begin feeling normal again (ie; the "pink cloud" effect). Anyway, take care and thanks to you and the others for the input (it is greatly appreciated).

- Regards, NFIS
Old 12-18-2006, 02:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

Hi nofuninsuds, I'm sharon L. and I'm a recovering alcoholic.
I wish you all the best, and heres a thought.
Positive mental attitude: The mind can achieve what
the mind believes. It's never to late. Hang in there and
keep sharing.
When I was in my first career, Positive mental attitude
meant everything. You heard so many no's to overcome in
sales. So I read allot of motivational books, and learned
that people aren't naturally positive, it is a learned belief.
Something that most people have to practice. So I will share
one more positive saying with you: A quitter never succeeds
and a winner never quits. But we have to be ready to be a
winner. Good luck NFIS.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Two days sober so far . Yesterday I was a wreck. Lot's of brain fog, scatterbrained and forgetful, weak, fatigued, dizzy and I just felt like a sick and dying man. Today was much better and I felt a little more like my old self again. I have come to hate alcohol with a passion because of what it does to me, how it makes me feel (sicker that a dog!) and how it negatively affects every aspect of your life. I hope what's left of me can pick up the pieces and move on to a better life free from this monster.

- Regards, NFIS