Handling Irrational Beliefs

Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lawrence Krauss who called himself Christopher Hitchens's personal physicist, says this about his late friend:

Christopher was a beacon of knowledge and light in a world that constantly threatens to extinguish both. He had the courage to accept the world for just what it is and not how he wanted it to be. Skepticism rather than credulity is the highest principle that the human intellect can use to ennoble our existence. The universe doesn’t care about our existence or our welfare. Our lives only have meaning to the extent that we give them meaning. Knowledge is not for comforting our souls, but rather to enhance the awareness of being alive.

Intellectual exploration combined with curious excitement was his credo. He found satisfaction in confronting power with knowledge. It takes courage to speak out against injustice or ignorance where ever you see it no matter whose sensibilities you ruffle. But it takes far more courage when you know the odds are overwhelming that you will lose. Ignorance, money superstition, hatred and fear historically win over truth.

I thought I would share that - Hich also said in one of his books, "Try daily to combat atrophy and routine" which is good advice for any AA steward
Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hope

I m new to this forum today and this is the 3rd post I have come across that seems like it was written for me. I have been really struggling, deeply in some sort of existential quandry about the value I hold in my own life. This wonderful post really helps remind me of the rational, organized and KIND process I took to quit drinking a few years ago. Thank you for the reminder and the excellent outline.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lovin' this thread! Glad it was bumped
Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I found this very helpful
Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I agree , I take responsibility and I want credit for having the strength to achieve it.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Very interesting! I am not an addict myself, my AH is. However, 10 years ago I was diagnosed with bi-polar. I was bound and determined it would not control me or be an excuse for me to live irresponsibly. So I decided to put myself through a partial hospitalization boot camp specifically for bi-polar people to learn about behaviorally managing my illness. Very much what you listed here, is what I was taught in that program. In the program we used what was called "thought stopping" and then "reframing". What you listed is basically the steps we followed to accomplish those two goals. Good stuff! With practice, it's really helpful.