The divided self

Old 07-05-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
quat

I wanted the consequences of 'moderate drinking' while being free to drink all I wanted to drink. That was my dream. Tried living ' the dream' for years but of course reaped all the consequences of drinking as much as I wanted , or trying to at least.

In the above post I was quoting a line from another post, you'd think after thousands of posts I'd be more better at being more clearer. smiley face with the tongue sticking out in a sheepish face thingy here
Old 07-05-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I would like to drink moderately.

What would that look like in practice? Do you mean that part of you wants to be 'able' to drink in a moderate fashion( and this term needs some fleshing out) or that permanent abstinence is the goal but the thought will sometimes occur a kin to a pipe dream and recognized as such?

This was your post dwtbt in reply to Aleric saying he would like to drink moderately. I have never seen you say in any post ever that you would like to try out moderation again
Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
This was your post dwtbt in reply to Aleric saying he would like to drink moderately.
Seeing it starkly put like pulled me up a bit. When I said that the meaning I had in mind was "I would like to be able to drink moderately and I am struggling to accept that I can't."

Both versions though are clearly AV so let me state simply that I will never drink again
Old 07-06-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Sorry Aleric. It just seemed like Jeffrey quoted that one line and then used it out of context to seem like dwbtd wanted to drink moderately and that wasn't the case. I thought the context should be clarified. I think every problem drinker out there has played out the moderation fantasy and I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I apologize if I did.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Not at all, in fact I appreciated it zenchaser. It made me think about what I was really saying and to realise that I'd lost focus in recognising and objectifying my AV.

These forums are very good in that respect.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
Seeing it starkly put like pulled me up a bit. When I said that the meaning I had in mind was "I would like to be able to drink moderately and I am struggling to accept that I can't."

Both versions though are clearly AV so let me state simply that I will never drink again
" My Beast is struggling with the fact that I don't drink , IT knows I can ,but I won't and that causes IT distress, too bad for IT"
yeah ?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

That sums it up nicely, thanks dwtbd
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

In the above post I was quoting a line from another post, you'd think after thousands of posts I'd be more better at being more clearer. smiley face with the tongue sticking out in a sheepish face thingy here
Ya didn't put quotes around that phrase, and I don't see the other post you were trying to quote from. But my comments were simply about myself, and it's interesting to me that it's true, given how badly I wanted to be able to drink moderately, once. That was really all 100% addiction, not legitimate wants and needs, and over time that desire just evaporated.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Ya didn't put quotes around that phrase, and I don't see the other post you were trying to quote from. But my comments were simply about myself, and it's interesting to me that it's true, given how badly I wanted to be able to drink moderately, once. That was really all 100% addiction, not legitimate wants and needs, and over time that desire just evaporated.
Yep , definitely my bad, sometimes reading through a thread if I think my post will be the very next one I will do it like a chat room convo, not the best practice

Some refer to the evaporation of desire over time as the extinction curve of the Beast either or both would not happen without a commitment to abstinence , you reckon ?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Yep , definitely my bad, sometimes reading through a thread if I think my post will be the very next one I will do it like a chat room convo, not the best practice

Some refer to the evaporation of desire over time as the extinction curve of the Beast either or both would not happen without a commitment to abstinence , you reckon ?
True. I know for me, abstinence would not have happened without a commitment to abstinence, and it all flows back to a decision point that I remember well: It ends here, no more, I already drank my last drink hours ago, and I'm going to go through the detox from hell rather than go to the store, again, for more alcohol. And it was more decisions too, later, many more, to continue with sobriety and not fall back, again, into drinking. Little steps, day by day, and eventually I could look back on the landscape I had covered and marvel at it, even though on the trail all I could see was bushes and trees.