Which way?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Which way?

I've recently stumbled on this forum and the discussions on AVRT here really had the 'wow' factor for me, so thanks!

I have been practising urge surfing and this has really helped but I'm wondering if AVRT would be even better for me. My cup really does overfloweth!

As I understand it, both techniques are similar in that they both create a separation between ourselves and any thoughts and feelings about drinking. Urge surfing does this by recognising a drinking thought as just that -a thought - and being a thought it does not define the whole of our self. And AVRT does this by ascribing any thought about future drinking to the Beast rather than to our 'authentic' self.

Another similarity is that both advocate simply recognising the thought and not getting caught in a debate or commentary on it.

I think a difference is that with urge surfing you are simply aware of a drinking thought in a non-judgemental way, neither trying to cling to it or push it away, and by doing this the urge will rise, crest and eventually fall away just like a wave. While with AVRT, you assess whether the thought is AV (which with practice will easy and done with lightening speed) and if it is you summarily dismiss it.

It seems that an obvious benefit of AV is that you get rid of the urge quicker because you instantly dismiss it rather than ride it out.

I wonder if you have any comments on this. It's very important to me, not only because of my future happiness may depend on it but also because it may mean changing my avatar!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi AlericB! The key in AVRT is the Big Plan to never drink again and never change your mind, no matter what. Any thought, feeling, or image that contradicts your BP is AV coming from your Beast. The BP overrides those urges so there is no need to surf them, they are simple recognized and separated from. No debating with that voice or trying to manage those urges. That is your addiction talking to you and you don't listen to that voice anymore.
That's kind of it in a nutshell.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks zenchaser,

I'm sold. I've changed my new avatar to have a (kind of) beasty look, my puppy Fudge, to mark the occassion!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome AlericB and Fudge. How cute your wee beastie puppy is!

Whilst learning AVRT, I benefitted greatly from the threads here on SR, with their question and reply format. You have a good understanding of the difference between urge-surfing and AVRT and I would urge you to ask any further questions you may have, whatsoever.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Tatsy,

I'm learning heaps from the posts here and I'll certainly ask any questions I have here.

My only question at the moment is that the image of a deprived Beast, even though I know it will kill me, still brings out some sympathy in me, so I can't have the kick-ass attitude I need. Perhaps it's the Fudge effect!So I'm thinking of handling that by using the term IT instead. Does that seem OK to you?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep I bet it's the Fudge effect too! You have a sweet puppy who I'm sure is a very good dog (aren't they all?). I wouldn't use my golden girl as my mental image of my Beast either. Dogs are wonderful, loyal, genuine friends. Booze Beasts are vile, selfish, greedy creatures.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks zenchaser. I'll think of Members of Parliament instead then!