Hi! How's everyone doing?

Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is an event for my friends Jack and Jill for their wedding. She is someone who I have done a LOT of drinking with for many many years.... my partner in crime! I haven't told her or really anyone other than my sister and my boyfriend that I've quit forever and I'm anticipating that my friend is going to lay some pressure on me to party with her on her big night. And I can't really blame her, after all I've been a more than willing participant for years. Regardless I can handle it. It might be a bit uncomfortable but so be it. It's a few hours out of my life and it will be good to see a lot of the people there and I'm sure she will have more than enough people there to get hammered and party with all night!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Zenchaser That's a good attitude. Keep strong. Wake up sober. You'll thank yourself and feel wonderful.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all
Just wanted to say that things are good with my non drinking part of the world. Coming on 3.5 years since I made my BP, what a gift - the present!
My AV has been popping up lots recently but my mantra 'I never drink now' always has me feeling proud that I've conquered so many setbacks and am now able to have therapy and be aware, truly engaging in the process, slowly progressing as I learn to live a much healthier lifestyle. Got a long way to go but I've also come a long way and still learning with hope
Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Newly retired! Gym three mornings a week, singing for a lunch and gas money three times a week. Working on my gr 10 classical voice program. Booked a remote fishing trip for June with my Pa and buddy. Building an acoustic guitar. Spending time with my daughters when they will let me! A trip to the maritime provinces in July with the mrs.
If I hadn't quit drinking, I could easily be pushing up daisies right now. I would have none of this, just sitting alone in a room full of empty vodka bottles.

I am a lucky and a happy man.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, checking in from the still frozen land, but spring is in the air and things are slowly starting to melt.

Last night was a big one for me. I'm the Director of a non-profit and last night was our big annual fundraiser. It's a tasting event with lots of great food and drink. It went pretty well, I was happy to not have any worry about drinking (or managing my drinking, making sure I just had a few so I could function). My sweet husband, who is an infrequent drinker, got a little lit up. He went to a bar with friends afterwards until I could wrap things up and come get him. He was pretty toasted by the time I got there, and a friend was insistently trying to make me taste her drink. First experience with that but I made it through by thinking of how disappointed I would be in myself if I did. And also I don't drink. 😏 Things went a little sideways when my drunk husband decided he was furious with me over a perceived slight. I was amazed at my patience with him. I got him home and in bed while he spewed mean words. I kept thinking how happy I was to be sober and rational. He apologized profusely first thing this morning, all is well and my forever plan to never drink is firmly in place. I know counting is frowned upon but since I quit New Years it's pretty easy for me to keep track... three months is the longest I've been sober since being pregnant with my daughter 22 years ago. Feels amazing 😊
Old 04-01-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Awesome AG, well done you!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

AlaskaGirl, your post brimmed with the joy of taking alcohol off the table, forever! You must be so pleased with your fund-raising achievement.

Your description of events after your husband drank too much - was a role reversal of me and mine, save for I was never sweet, alcohol addiction subsumed and subjugated my real personality. When (relatively) sober the following morning, my husband would recount the evenings events and I was appalled at my behaviour. I'm still so grateful that he stuck by me through those dreadful years. He's still amazed at how rapidly I transformed and reverted to my pre-drinking self, in fact he believes I'm improved in many ways, more tolerant.

I believe it's because AVRT has allowed me, not only to recognise the AV, but to strengthen my authentic self and hone my recognition of non-AV related thoughts, which are repetitive, self-defeating and not conducive to my psychological health; thereby I disassociate from those negative thoughts too.

Rambling now, but this additional skill is a pleasantly unexpected, beneficial side effect of learning AVRT. Who would've thought that stopping drinking forever could increase my propensity to handle thoughts and feelings, that used to bedevil me and restrict me.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Tatsy. I know I've told you this already, but you were a huge inspiration for me when I started back at the beginning of the year, and you continue to be.

Your post got me thinking. I've read some about mindfulness, and several years ago I had a counselor who encouraged me to practice the technique, although she didn't call it that. I feel that AVRT and mindfulness go hand in hand in some ways. I have had times in my life when I suffered from a lot of negative self talk and obsessive thinking. Focusing on the bad to the point of almost crippling depression and doubt. I started practicing a form of AVRT without knowing what it was, to separate myself from those thoughts.

The self taught technique helped get me through my divorce from an emotionalaly abbusive husband with my sanity intact. I couldn't agree more that AVRT has wide reaching benefits that can help in many areas of life.

Keep being awesome Tatsy
Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Doing well. I'm having to move at the end of the month so I'm looking into saving up and moving to New York to finish my paralegal degree and serve part of my time working with the homeless legal issues there. I'm not sure I'll qualify if I'm a legal resident for a year but I am planning on staying there once I have my degree anyway. The only logistics is if my Medicaid with pay my Medicare part B monthly as it does in California.

I have the life skills and independence now with my service dog to consider these options that regular people take for granted.

This would be a fantastic possibility if I meet the criteria.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
Doing well. I'm having to move at the end of the month so I'm looking into saving up and moving to New York to finish my paralegal degree and serve part of my time working with the homeless legal issues there. I'm not sure I'll qualify if I'm a legal resident for a year but I am planning on staying there once I have my degree anyway. The only logistics is if my Medicaid with pay my Medicare part B monthly as it does in California.

I have the life skills and independence now with my service dog to consider these options that regular people take for granted.

This would be a fantastic possibility if I meet the criteria.
shockozulu, that sounds amazing. I have so much admiration for people who have the courage to relocate to follow their dreams. I hope the Medicare works out and you are able to start your new life adventure.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wife and I live in Chiang Mai Thailand. But, do to the rice farmers burning their crops this time of year (it's so smoky) and last about 90 days. We each year head to a Thai Island with clear air. This year we came to Ko Chang. (Elephant Island) Plus, it is Thai New Year (started today) called Songkron. Big water fights but all play. Google Songkron...Nice enjoying the days and nights and remembering all the goings on. Mornings are the best.)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Freshstart57...."Newly retired! Gym three mornings a week, singing for a lunch and gas money three times a week. Working on my gr 10 classical voice program. Booked a remote fishing trip for June with my Pa and buddy. Building an acoustic guitar. Spending time with my daughters when they will let me! A trip to the maritime provinces in July with the mrs.
If I hadn't quit drinking, I could easily be pushing up daisies right now. I would have none of this, just sitting alone in a room full of empty vodka bottles."

Tell us about the guitar...very interesting.. Like you I get to enjoy my retirement to the max...To never drink again...oh the love of that...As always I want you to know you have me so much....thanks for this..

PS...I reread my post 2 up...to late to edit it but you all can figure is out.)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy retirement Freshstart! You sound busy and content. Thank you for your inspirational posts and PMs, which gently guided me towards my new found freedom from alcohol.

Stewart, you're sounding great and what a joy to enjoy retirement to the maximum, without the crippling anchor of addiction.

AlaskaGirl, I'm so glad you're now safe and enjoying your freedoms.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Shockozulu, what exciting times ahead. I do hope you meet the criteria. Your service dog is so gorgeous.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

"I'm just so relieved to be a non-drinker, that I'm still in awe. It's like living in a newfound Tatsyland of peace, calm and routine.[/QUOTE]

Yes, beautify stated Tatsy and oh so true. Also like you Freshstat57 was and has been my rock. So helpful in the beginning I own him a lot. I think he has scaled back some letting the newer folks on here do what he used to do.
It's great to have a firm hold on this sober life and enjoy each day in a clear wonderful state of mind.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Shockozulu, what exciting times ahead. I do hope you meet the criteria. Your service dog is so gorgeous.
Thank you. He thinks he is gorgeous too.

After posting last I found out by having one student loan removed by collections after 10 good faith payment and having the other halfway there my credit was good enough for a new iPhone on a regular carrier, as well as an iPad. This second one is important as my plans will be to live on my friend's 27 foot sailboat until I save enough for the move. This way I can stay online with the iPad and use my phone as a mobile hotspot for my laptop. Since the screen was broken I bought a small flat screen TV for the boat so I can use my laptop, Roku stick with SlingTV and Rasperrry Pi.

I also have enough in new credit cards that if I chose to max them out (which I will not do) I have half the money to get there and pay for my apartment's first, last and security deposits.

Amazing the good things that happen when you don't spend all your money on cigarettes and alcohol.