New to AVRT

Old 11-21-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to AVRT

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself as I've been reading around this forum for a few weeks now and thought I'd better say hello. Ive been sober since 27th october. I've been failing at permanent sobriety for sometime now about the past 5 years. I had 3 years sober from alcohol before this but cross addicted to smoking copious amounts of weed, which sent me pretty crazy and I don't do it anymore. I can get a few weeks sober I even had 8 months last year but I always convince myself at some point that drinking would be a good idea..the same old story! I joined SR about a month ago and I'm so pleased that I did I got alot of support from my first post on the new comers forum for which i am very very grateful. Also because I've been introduced to the concept of AVRT. Over the past couple of weeks I have been putting the things I'm learning into practice and it's working I have got through some very uncomfortable desires to drink using what I know of this technique. I'm gaining insights that I've never had before . I went through the crash course at RR and I made my Big Plan. I have ordered the new cure book which will arrive in a few days. I like the fact that AVRT appears to be pretty black and white in its approach to addiction, my beast and my AV need this kind of approach! I'm also practicing mindfulness and taking regular exercise, eating healthy and generally looking after myself. I was or should I say IT was a little concerned about posting this because somehow it makes my commitment more REAL although im pleased that i have. I'm pretty sure that I'll have some questions and stuff to ask you all in the near future but for now I just wanted to let you know where I'm at and to say thank you to everyone who posts here you have all been so helpful to me. I really feel positive that I can get on with living my life free from alcohol without the constant internal struggle with what I can now recognise as my AV. Thanks guys just one more thing if it sounds like my AV is talking in this post please let me know I won't be offended!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! AVRT has been great for me, four plus years sober now. It truly has allowed me to keep The Beast in its cage.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Flame! When I wrote my first post in Secular Connections (questioning whether the RR book was required/would the RR site material suffice) little did I know that I was on the brink of quitting drinking, after a twenty year daily addiction. I'd tried every other method, none of which worked, on me.

I thoroughly digested the RR AVRT material, to include the invaluable information, explanations and guidance set out by SR members in Secular Connections and the main AVRT multi-part thread.

I made my Big Plan and truly, I'm liberated from addiction. The Beast seizes upon high points/low points in daily life, 'why don't you have a drink to celebrate/commiserate' IT says. I instantly use AVRT and dismiss the thought or feeling which the Beast is using to communicate IT'S desire to me. I am in control, not my Beast (mis-directed drive) which used to resemble a monstrous tyrant, but is now puny and pathetic looking in my minds eye.

My only regret, is that I didn't apply AVRT when I first encountered it years ago. My Beast used to enjoy all those years I spent researching and applying different recovery methods and treatments, whilst my life ticked away.

Little did I realise that I already possessed the power to stop drinking.

I experience a thrill when I read posts like yours, hoping that the poster will proceed to learn AVRT and experience the liberation I have.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sobriety and the strategic paths we use to get there. All roads lead to Rome. Read, share- do whatever works for you. It seems you are liking the avrt stuff. Keep an open mind- there are many, many strategies to recovey from addiction. Me? I use a little bit of this and a......PJ
Old 11-22-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great work flame11! 10 months in for me now and I'm not looking back (although at times the past creeps in). Using AVRT, mindfulness, music and the beautiful Maine woods is helping me stay on the path. YOU can do this!!! WE can do this!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi flame11 -- welcome, it's good to see you here.! I'm so glad you've discovered this freedom. We're here to support you, so feel free to post questions and let us know how it's going!
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flame11 View Post
I've been failing at permanent sobriety for sometime now about the past 5 years.
There are two ways of looking at this, at least through the lens of AVRT. One is that you failed at abstaining, and the other is that, in actual fact, you succeeded at drinking/using. If you shift back and forth between these two viewpoints, you should see that there is a big difference between them.

Perspective is important. If everyone who wanted to argue that they failed also recognized that they succeeded, they might be in a better position to address the task at hand. The Beast would love nothing more than to have you believe that you failed, and that you are powerless over desire.

I had 3 years sober from alcohol before this but cross addicted to smoking copious amounts of weed, which sent me pretty crazy and I don't do it anymore.
AVRT makes no distinction between alcohol and other mood altering, non-prescribed, hedonic drugs. Alcohol and other drugs (AOD) are one category of substances.

I went through the crash course at RR and I made my Big Plan. I have ordered the new cure book which will arrive in a few days.
Read the book when you receive it, but bear in mind that your Beast can read along with you, and it will be looking over your shoulder for loopholes. You'll want to read the book alone, without distractions.

Work through the ACTION exercises at the end of each chapter, and read through the main AVRT discussion threads on this forum. Much of the material in the book is clarified. Feel free to post questions.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, sorry for the late reply I worked a long shift yesterday and was tired when i got home. I'm a bit worried about how to reply to you...individually or in one post I'm not great at doing this stuff and feel a bit unsure and I don't want to appear rude to anyone. Well here goes...Thanks for the welcome , encouragement and offers of support its great to hear that AVRT is working for other people and comforting to know that I can ask any questions that can be answered with knowledge and experience. I too have tried other methods over the years they didn't ultimately work for me either but without them the progression of my addiction I believe would have been alot worse than it is now, they kind of gave me a break from drinking for awhile and I did learn some useful stuff. On the other hand some stuff wasn't so good for me and that's why I've been searching for other ways to do this. I like to think that I've got an open mind and I don't feel that I can ever criticise or judge anybody on which ever route they take to overcome their addiction. We are all in the same boat and if somebody can free themselves from the hell of addiction by whatever means that's an amazing life changing achievement and one that I admire and hope for. I'm choosing to do AVRT because everything I've read or practised so far really resonates with me and it's the first time in years that I genuinely feel excited about a means of recovery. I feel like its a clean slate and it doesnt feed into my mindset of having tried and failed. The personal control/responsibility just fits with me and feels comfortable. However I believe that I'm in a life/death situation and I will do anything I need to so I can remain abstinent. I say life/death not because of my health but because of the mental state I endure when I'm active. This connects with some things I've read on this forum about the morality of my behavoiur when I'm drinking. It's been good for me to think about that.
The idea of perspective is an interesting one and I'm still pondering that one! As for cross addiction and using other drugs I totally agree and for me I know that this behavoiur feeds my beast and gets IT excited about future use. I also 100% get the fact that IT will be looking for loopholes when reading the book. I've been a bit concerned about this but decided to go for it anyway because I want to learn more. If I do find anything questionable I will voice that here. Thank you everyone.
Also defiantly worth a mention is that it's my birthday tomorrow and at the moment I have quite a low level but pretty constant AV level. Partly due to my BF who is also an addict saying that he'd like a drink on my birthday! I'm very interested in how our AV interact with other people's because I feel that mine can plug into another persons and then convince me that it's OK to drink using justification. I am starting to recognise this in other people which is great as I have alot of people who are addicted around me. What experiences have you guys got with this?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, Flame, just a quick reply before I must log off! So glad you posted. Just want to say, yes, my AV interacted, fed off other addicts, for sure. Since stopping drinking, after thoroughly learning AVRT, the AV has lessened considerably...

But, I've noticed when I've recently visited restaurants for a meal, it rears its ugly head and is SO loud! Look, IT says, all these people having a nice relaxing drink....you can too....just a couple, you're OK now. As if?

Plus, I'm still reading this SR site, which I credit with saving my life (I was pretty late stage alcohol addict) and recently I've read the November and other Newcomers threads and, compared to when I don't read, the AV goes into overdrive. When someone relapses, the AV says I can have a few days drinking (just like them) and then clamber back on the alcohol free wagon. As if! I'd probably lose my life if I drank again.

Please keep posting, I'm so glad you're here. If I'm not on SR tomorrow, may I wish you an early Happy Birthday!

You can do this Flame, you have the power! If I can, anyone can, I'd given up all hope, then registered with SR earlier this year...and after discovering and learning AVRT I stopped drinking, for good.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Tatsy and thanks for your reply. Yeah I had alot of those kind of thoughts over the weekend and they were accompanied by a strong physical element...like every single cell in my body wanted alcohol. I did manage to disassociate from the thoughts pretty much and I knew that the feeling would eventually go too. I also imagined myself drunk and it wasn't nice to look at. This happened after I made my BP and it literally lasted 2 days and was full on. I got through it though and that's a great feeling. I suppose what I'm describing would be known as a beast attack?? It certainly felt like it. Yes I like to read on the newcomer
forum too and yes the more active I am on SR the less AV activity. I'm looking forward to learning about AVRT can't wait to get the book. I read something yesterday on here saying that the beast was not irrational that it's desire to survive is actually quite rational. I kinda like that idea anyway I'm wittering. Thanks for your support Tatsy and for the birthday wishes. I won't be drinking to celebrate because I don't drink. I'm going for breakfast with the family and I'm planning to run in the afternoon, my first run in awhile should be good.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi! I am so thankful I found this post. To be honest I was curious what AVRT was and also what an RR Book was, too. I am a constant "Googler" so I looked it up. Where has this been all my years of addiction!!! It makes so much sense to me and I feel so empowered. Thank you!
I, too, am "New to AVRT" but, know that here is where I belong!
Old 11-23-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi ChloeRose! Welcome to the secular side of SR. There are lots of great threads about AVRT here- the 'AVRT Discussion' thread is a doozy. Just to check, you found the Rational Recovery website? Also suggest you find the sticky post at the top of the forum page about AVRT Explained. Hope you stick around!
Old 11-23-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Flame...my birthday is tomorrow too!

Leave the drinking to others and their beasts. Badass b*tches don't need or want that. Happy Bday to us!
Old 11-23-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just convinced myself to go to BF and have a drink I got totally one track minded...no thoughts of consequence just I want to so I'm going to...no differentiation between me and IT completely overwhelming. I sat and thought for about 1 hour before going and buying 3 bottles of wine. I poured us both a glass and I had a couple of mouthfuls then I got this really angry feeling like I was going to explode I thought about my daughter who would be devastated if I start drinking again I thought about all the good intentions and plans I have for a sober life. I poured the 3 bottles of wine down the sink and I came home. My daughter could smell wine on my breath and started crying but I told her I only had a couple of mouthfuls and tipped the rest. She said she was very proud of me and we both had a big hug and a few tears. I'm so pleased I'm home and safe. That was a f###ing strange experience! I could have proceeded to get drunk but I didn't want to that's never happened to me before I don't really understand what just happened. Any thoughts
Old 11-23-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the birthday wishes soberlicious and many happy returns to you for tomorrow hope you have a great day.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Well, flame,

How's your using Addictive Voice Recognition Technique going? How is your experimenting with the idea of the Big Plan? How is your interest in hanging around your chemically dependent Mom and BF going? How's your interest in improving your own family life with your two children?

GT
Old 11-28-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How do you think ?? X
Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

How do you think ?? X
Hi Flame,
Good to hear from you.
I think optimistically.
I think you are presently not under the influence of alcohol, and still interested in becoming a common teetotaler; someone who gets on with her life with the absolute certainty that alcohol or unprescribed drugs will never flow in her bloodstream ever again.
GT
Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for caring GT it means alot to me. I have been drinking I chose to. Have been reading New Cure book too. BF has results of scan on his enlarged liver today he looks very weak and ill. He had his pancreas removed in 2011. I don't think he'll be around to much longer. He is only 54. Yes I do want to be sober and live a sober life GT you have given me some hope by posting thank you so much. I'm going to start again today.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Flame, I'm really sorry to hear about your boyfriend.

I'm so glad that you're still reading, I've been checking on your thread. It's positive to read that you used the word 'chose' to drink, which shows that you appreciate the distinction made by Algorithm above.

Alcohol or my AV did not cause me to drink, I didn't 'give in or cave in' to the thoughts and feelings ('cravings') generated by my AV. I decided to drink and succeeded. It was always my choice to drink, or not. Once this point was firmly embedded in my mind, it generated a power within. I no longer felt like a victim, being dragged around by bodily feelings, images, 'cravings'. If I could choose to drink (despite my life being wrecked by alcohol) then I could certainly choose not to drink (to save my life).

It took me many years of feeling powerless over the decision to drink. When 'I' had a 'craving' and in that small space of time, where I have the choice of how to respond....instead I reacted on auto-pilot and picked up the drink.

Now, practising AVRT, I instantly recognise the 'craving' as the Beast, (mis-directed survival drive') crying out for ITs fix, through my thoughts and feelings (called cravings in other methods of recovery').

Due to the speed of recognition (it's not me, it's my Beast) that previous, instant knee-jerk reaction for ME to identify with the Beast and then drink - is stopped immediately. I recite my Big Plan and ignore theAV. I never drink and I will never drink again. Thus, a new neural auto-pilot pathway is being laid.

You can do this Flame. I know it's an over-used phrase, but if I can apply this technique successfully, anyone can!