The Babadook

Old 10-10-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Babadook

Day 6 and doing fine. I've read SMART so this forum appeals to me. I've named my voice Derek. He is being ignored daily at the moment. As well as reading SMART what has also helped me is the film The Babadook. In the film a woman who, has suffered at the hands of life, is terrorised by a demon which she denies is real. She only finds peace when she admits the demon is real and the film ends with it locked in a room in her house and her getting on with her life. For me it is a metaphor for my struggle over the last few years. If anyone has seen it they may see what I mean. Strange but true.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did see the movie and it was very good. I didn't draw that connection but I'll have to re watch with that in mind. I have drawn that connection with a lot of movies though as obsession, addiction is a common theme.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Babadook is an AMAZING movie! I love all of the symbolism in it - so clever. There are so many ways it can be taken... this angle is one I definitely resonate with too. The more you try to deny it, the bigger and stronger it grows....turn towards it and acknowledge that it's there, and it starts to lose it's power. Actually it's been awhile since I've seen it so I might watch it again....
Old 10-10-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just watched this on Netflix a couple nights ago! I didn't personally connect it to my addiction but I definitely see where you are coming from. Kind of like it's "the beast" from RR.

Congrats on day 6! I hope to see you posting around here frequently.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. A week now and I'm ok. And yes I'll stick around. I need too.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agreed. Giving "IT" a name other than dis-ease is helpful for those of us that ....think a lot. As a Buddhist I tend to see all phenomena as chimera (although much becomes VERY solid) and all "habits" as Attachments. Babadook WAS a great movie on all levels. The beast is real...and it is not. Paying it no mind once it's identified DOES make it go away. Congrats on your self-awareness.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Like your insight there, ZomBob. Awareness, mindfulness and acceptance are powerful tools that form the basis of my recovery from addiction.

Stevepearce, your take on The Babadook has strong meaning for us here on SR, I agree with you. Going to check that move out next.

I hope you two keep posting here, you have a lot to offer. Onward!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great movie and I like the analogy. The truth has to be faced even though it frightens us. Only then can we arrive and remain in a place of safety.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll watch the movie with this in mind, for sure. Today I have read about calling the AV a name and I have one ~ the name of an essentially sad woman who was always egging me on to get drunk with her. Great tips. Also, day 13 - - to be honest, when I first joined the forum on the 1st - by the 3rd, I wondered if my participation would peter out. Not so ~ I love the variety of suggestions and their strength.

Onwards and Upwards.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's a great film anyway Kurbiko. Congrats on day 13. Yeah this site is great and so vast. I come on here everyday and It really helps me focus on what I need to focus on and make needed sober connections. Keep it up my friend.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

There's a practice described in a book called Feeding Your Demons that I think would resonate with some of you. Notice the bowl of worms near the end of the film. She doesn't just face her demon; she FEEDS it.

http://taramandala.org/about-kapala-training/

So don't ignore the AV. The only way to tame it is to engage with it. Feed it.