Finished with school!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finished with school!

I must confess to feeling kind of weird; I just finished the last assignment I'll ever have to do towards my Bachelor's degree! Most of my classes have been traditional on-campus, brick-and-mortar type affairs, but I have a couple of online- and online-classroom hybrid ones as well. I had one last test to take online on the very last day of the very last class I have to take! To be sure I have a bit more to do. Gotta go to the business office and make arrangements, reimage my school laptop, apply for graduation, etc. But the reality is, when it comes to class, I'M DONE!!!

It's a really chaotic mix of feelings, moreso than I thought it would be! I'm glad to be reaching the end of a very long, winding road that I set on years ago. But it's also an end to an interesting chapter of my life, a time of transition to the "next step" which is that scary old real world! I feel time is really passing, part of me wants to just sit down for a minute and catch my breath.

I'm not sure if I would have ever reached this point if I hadn't stopped drinking. Or at least it would have taken [even] longer!

For now I'm content to just unwind, decompress and reflect. And maybe crow a little bit!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Congrats!!!! I never went to college but I get that the feeling of accomplishment must be wonderful!!

Hitting pause to take in a transitional moment can be really beautiful. I have a memory of when I moved states and started fresh. I took the time to breath in and really feel it. Every time in my life I did that I held that feeling and that moment so dear. I always revisit when I need a boost of reality. I hope you do the same!!!

Ken
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations MoS

D
Old 07-30-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Well deserved Congratulations! Enjoy the feeling, and crow a little, heck crow alot
Old 07-30-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations! This is something that you will always have that no one can take away from you.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...holds the key

What an awesome accomplishment, MOS!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wonderful, congrats MythOfSisyphus!
Definitely take your time to relax if you can.

I'm just planning to go back to school this fall Kinda weird too, although learning new things, taking classes, etc has been prevalent in pretty much my whole life except in the last year before I quit drinking. So I look forward to it, especially because it's going to be one of my childhood dreams... but I do feel weird about having to take assessments, exams etc in a formal way again.

I wish you all the best in "that scary old real world" after your break
Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

very cool, MoS.
i know that feeling of time really passing (turn sixty today) and the mix of end/transition.
you did what you set out to do. phew and wow!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Old 07-31-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome! Congratulations!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Mostly it feels great but there's a bit of the old "well, now what?" feeling in there, too. I've spent over five years working towards this goal, and now that I have reached it there's an anticlimactic feeling to a small degree. The heavens didn't part and give me any revelation, it's just a Bachelor's degree.

Still, it's a step that means a lot to me. I was a real geek in high school, the brainy nerd guy that was supposed to be a scientist or something. Booze derailed that plan and I quit college the first time after my first two years. By most measures my life has been fairly good but money aside I have always intended to go back and finish what I started. Ultimately I wound up starting over with not a lot of transfer credits; that and the need to work FT and attend school around that made it a more time consuming effort it would be for a younger fellow.

I feel I have kind of earned a bit of a break! I will continue to work my current job for at least a month or two before I actively look for something better. It will be nice to have a somewhat carefree life for a time before I commit to the next big thing, whatever it is.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Congratulations! It is nice to be able to mark something as finished in your life and move to the next phase.