I call BS

Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Thoughts are just thoughts, it's actions that matter.
And the ability to INHIBIT one very specific putting something into my mouth action
means actions don't matter at all to me in regards to this topic.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I laugh about things like fireball whiskey. It is just another industry gimmick to give people an excuse to do what they really want to do, which is drink. There is a current trend to make spicy liquor. It will run its course and disappear over time. Why? Because people will realize it was just another delusion that held the false promise of something special.

Last night, I challenged my AV to move my hand. It couldn't. It is entirely dependent upon me for action. It will never happen again - never, ever.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
quat

I guess I'm just a purist but flavored bourbon or flavored cigars , polluting the essence I say. Then again I no longer drink bourbon and I vape banana nut bread ejuice , ha.

SR yeah why not give the book(s) I look see, certainly couldn't hurt. The challenging the AV exercises sections are interesting to say the least. Great choice, obviously, on the 'flavor' experiment.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
bought a box of wine once (no shame in my wine game). I ended up using it as a mixer for whiskey.
That might be the most unappealing drink combination I ever heard of. Lawsy!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Is the term 'Discerning Alcoholic' an Oxymoron?
-
Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I guess I'm just a purist but flavored bourbon or flavored cigars , polluting the essence I say.
Probably why I drank so much cheap vodka at the end, ideally filtered through a Brita - stick to the essence.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Probably why I drank so much cheap vodka at the end, ideally filtered through a Brita - stick to the essence.
That is genius!

I was such a stupid drunk - I never thought about mixing my wine with whiskey or vodka.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I know statistics aren't the end all when it comes to this but at 2 years 40% of people will still relapse. Why? Why would anyone want to go back after knowing what someone 2 years clean knows? It wasn't even a craving that was trying to get me. It was more of a no big deal kind of thing. So I am making a big deal out of it. This will not stand!!!!
Maybe a little fighting music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0
Good for you, silentrun; sobriety should always be a big deal, right, rank up there with life itself?

I am proud of you, silentrun.

And, Lenina, I love those Atomia Fireballs; I haven't seen them lately - I'll have to look around.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I drank anything I could get my hands on. But preferred good gin and Chardonnay. Back in the day SR, I would have admired your grit drinking whiskey with the boys. I stuck to the adage - if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down.

Oh hell, I've already been accused of not being "classy", might as well maintain the facade.

Snarkbunny, see ? I'm learning from the best of em.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Aha, Silentrun!

Thanks for starting up this very good chapter of life and the sh$t that comes around once in awhile. Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. I can not, may not get complacent. Good seeing you and congrats on two years and counting up! I'm not falling for anything..........

Lenina, thanks for reminding me of Fireballs! Hot Dam!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful? The next thing we will hear is that we are powerless over its awesome power and irresistible attraction. I don't believe that those things are true, or even helpful as sobriety tools.

As GerandTwine said, I don't need to be concerned about complacency around stopping at red lights.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
quat

Alcohol abuse is harmful, progressive and addictive.

The solution is 100% guaranteed.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks everyone who contributed. I wasn't even going to post because there is no way I would drink right? I am glad I did because today I feel stronger somehow like it was a test to see how I would react. Last night I crossed some magic invisible line out just like I did on the way in. I didn't think I was headed for trouble but after thinking about it I see where I went wrong.
1. A dream's just a dream. Next time I have a drinking dream I will freak out just a little so be safe.
2. When they mentioned the fireball I was sorry I missed out on trying it. That right there. The proper response should have been "it's a damn good thing I never did try it. I probably would have killed myself on that." I signaled to my brain that I was missing out on something.
3. Rumchata is another drink I never did get around to trying. Now I am really missing out and I should drink one Fireball Rumchata.
Today I am not the least bit curious about what it would taste like. Imagine that!
Old 04-23-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

"Discerning Alcoholic". ROFL. That's a great oxymoron.

Being an alcoholic is like being caught up in a funhouse mirror. None of makes any sense in the light of day. None of it. It will seem brilliant at the time, even when not drunk and I suppose that is when the lizard brain AV is speaking.

We were nuts back then. Very grateful this is now.

Love from Lenina
Old 04-24-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful?
Well, it (supposedly) almost got Bill Wilson again toward the end of his life and he wrote the BB.

Disease? Weak-willed, Allergy? I honestly don`t know.

I just know enough to not to play with it.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I don't think it is the alcohol that is so cunning, baffling and powerful. I think it's the ability to ******** myself that is and it just got a little less so.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

For me, alcohol is simply an addictive chemical in a bottle. If I don't drink it, then I won't be addicted to it.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hee hee ~

Silentrun's rather 'concise' summary in Post #36 of the Real Deal re: Alcohol caused this interesting Flashback to pop into my Head...

Our W. Colorado Joint is in the midst of Wine and Small Batch Distillery Country. I'm over it, at this point in permanent Sobriety. One thing a Neighbor does, besides Making/Selling Wine, is to also sell Grappa, and flavored Vodkas. Like, Lavender-infused.

I was at his place one day pre-Sobriety - checking out the operation - and he'd just gotten in a Shipment. His 'Value Add' is not to make Spirits; just flavor them. And, Bottle/Label them. Well, I'm standing there, and here is this Pallet with 4 - 55 Gallon Drums of bright blue Food Grade 'Plastic' with ~190 Proof Ethanol in them. Still wrapped together in Plastic on the Shipping Pallet. As the Lyric goes in the Song 'Up On Cripple Creek' by 'The Band': 'A Drunkard's dream if I ever did see one...'

Watered down with Spring Water - Standard Procedure - you'd get 4.75 Standard 1.5 Ounce Shots of 40 Proof out of one 1.5 Ounce Shot of 190 Proof 'Everclear'. Which is what this Shipment was, sans the Brand Name. So, in running the numbers just now, my Calculator tells me I was in the presence of 133,760 - 1.5 Ounce Shots of 40 Proof Alcohol concentrated in 4 x 55 Gallon Drums of this 190 Proof Ethanol. The proverbial 'Fort Knox' of Intoxication.

In other words, a 220 Gallon Guano-load of potential misery on a ~3' square Shipping Pallet. When I recall it now, it was like standing in the presence of a taped Parcel of Cocaine or something. Right there within Arm's reach. Except, this 40 Proof version can be legally bought about anywhere.

And, none of it is ever again going down my Throat. It's just that simple. Free at last...
-
Old 04-25-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I guess I should comment that I think there is nothing bad about alcohol in general. I used to like a drink. It is just that for normal drinkers, a drink, maybe two. A pleasant thing to do. Not for me, though. I know I can't handle even one and that's where it becomes a problem for me. And yes, if I succumb to a drink, it can be a bad thing all around for me. That is why I remain sober today.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
quat

I used to really really really like to be intoxicated. Did it so many times and for so long that it broke things in me, cracked my spirit/soul was probably starting to crack my body. It had long before stopped being enjoyable,"it" being all that goes with it and the 'enjoyment' was only the feeling of falling into oblivion, so not much in wanting to feel alive and present.
Weird thing is I think I could probably try the fireball even just once, but I dont want to be drunk(dwtbd) so I'm not going to find out , for sure.