Very basic question

Old 10-28-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very basic question

Hi all.
I've been around SR for a while and am trying (yet again) to finally be rid of my pain.
If you're interested you can look back at my profile for my history. (Can't be arsed to type it out again!)

Anyway, my basic question is what is the Big Plan?

Thanks.
I will engage more I promise.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A Big Plan is a plan, a solemn vow about ending the use of alcohol, unconditionally and without limitation. It is is predicated on the full acceptance of responsibility for one's actions and the understanding that we control them.

It's called a Big plan, but it is really very simple. It is big in the sense that it is made with full awareness of the entirety of the meaning of this promise.

My version of a Big Plan is my signature file. There is a lot of discussion about Big Plans in other threads here in this forum.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks FS57.

I've looked through quite a few posts here and found plenty of mentions of it, but nothing specific.

I'd imagined some taking inventory, assessing one's addiction and making a detailed "plan" on how to "recover", which seemed at odds with (what seems to me) AVRTs fairly simple, direct approach of making a personal, positive decision of "never to drink (use) again and never changing my mind.

Sorry if you thought I was being lazy (which I probably was), I just wanted a quick answer.

Thanks again
Old 10-28-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Big Plan (def):
Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
AVRT's fairly simple, direct approach of making a personal, positive decision of "never to drink (use) again and never changing my mind.
That would be it, right there, Sparkos. You got it!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My Big Plan: I don't drink. Ever.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
Hi all.
I've been around SR for a while and am trying (yet again) to finally be rid of my pain.
If you're interested you can look back at my profile for my history. (Can't be arsed to type it out again!)

Anyway, my basic question is what is the Big Plan?

Thanks.
I will engage more I promise.
It's not really a "plan" per se. I prefer to call it the "final decision" because that's what the Big Plan actually is. I did as the Rational Recovery site suggested. I told myself:

I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind, no matter what.

I then used the thinking technique of AVRT to follow through with the plan. Have you read the crash course on AVRT at the Rational Recover site? If not, I strongly suggest doing so if you're interested in using AVRT.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I have read the crash course and FS57s excellent AVRT explained post.
I do use the techniques and also a secular 12 step program and addiction counselling. I'm sure that using both AVRT and 12 step techniques would be anathema to proponents of both techniques, but I'm cherry picking for what works for me.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

So, quit drinking.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That's all it takes.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it's called a BIG plan because it's a BIG way of approaching sobriety. You aren't making a commitment to try, you are making a commitment to succeed, for your entire life.

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” Yoda, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes back.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"The Big Plan": Is that a thing? I had some pretty grand plans and dreams when I first quit drinking, if that is what you mean. I intended to make up for lost time, and I thought all the pain would subside. Au contraire. There was a grace period, the euphoria of early sobriety, the delight of waking up (as opposed to "coming to"), the absence of shame as the result of the previous night's escapades, but eventually I had to confront my pain. The difference, by then, was that I was confident that I could survive. Perhaps more important was that I wanted to walk through it because I wanted to remain sober. I was no longer acting out of fear; I made choices based on love.
I have pondered these years of sobriety lately, something I usually do as I approach an anniversary (11/07/2014). Even 26 years since my last drink I sometimes grow impatient. I want to know what comes next, whether I am doing the right thing--or am I not doing something I should?
This is not the life I believed I would have when I quit drinking, but I believe it is the right one. I made some poor choices, but mostly I have made pretty good ones. The point is that I had choices, and I did not while I was drinking. Booze once made choices for me. I used to believe I could orchestrate outcomes, but I've come to realize that my task is to do the next right thing. "The Big Plan" will unfold.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Left to my own devices I continued to drink until I surrendered and got my help from the professional drinkers more than 35 years ago. That was some time before the internet and works when we work it.

BE WELL
Old 11-29-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

Executing my BP set my two step program into motion and I'm stuck on the second step.
#1 Stop
#2 Don't
Old 11-29-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” Yoda, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes back.
This^^^