Caffeine and Nicotine taper

Old 02-14-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm down to like, 8-9% nic in my pen but using more so not really reducing overall. Still a definite correlation with caffeine. If I can stay at 2-3 cups I can forget to vape. Still an addict but not-so-much?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for the update! I was wondering how you were doing with the taper!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
waking down

I quit coffee in October and drank only yerba mate and tea until my injury when I quit all stimulants basically because I was in too much pain to want to be alert and I was resisting medication. After surgery I had to take narcotics for a week, and after that I felt like I couldn't read. After seven weeks with no caffeine I decided to measure my mate to insure I was being moderate. I felt too buzzed after a fraction of what I used to drink!

Caffeine in moderation is not unhealthy. If you're thinking about learning to moderate I suggest going cold turkey for at least a couple of weeks and then easing back into it. Once you do, make rules and stick with them.

I wouldn't suggest this for alcohol, btw...
Old 02-27-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks zero. I'm down to a comfortable level with the caffeine. 2-3 cups of coffee each morning. My nic taper plan is to go to zero and stay there. I'm actually 2/3 of the way there using a vape pen. For whatever reason, going from 1/2 to 1/3 has been the most challenging. Had a eureka moment yesterday when I found I love the sweet flavors but can't do too much (like eating a whole cheesecake) so by going sweeter I can vape less and be satisfied. Also keeps me out of the ice cream at 9pm. I know air is better but I'm stuck on doing it myway. Nic is taking much longer than the alcohol or caffeine.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I've managed to cut back on the caffeine intake but stopped trying to quit the nic for now, glad to see your still going strong and identifying useful knowledge (like the sweet vape vs ice cream!) Hubby is still free with no real problems, he's almost 4 weeks cold turkey from smoking and hasn't drunk caffeine regularly for about 6 months!
I'm pleased to report I'm still not smoking around the kids or hubby and my intake has reduced as a result of no longer smoking in the car or kitchen! It's not what I wanted but I'm happy with it, for now.
Well done anatta, keep going, you're doing this!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Seems I just received some REAL motivation in the form of blood tests. I finally found a great female Doc that listened and ran the right tests and confirmed Cardio markers. I will be mixing all my juice to 6% today and stopping after this cup (2nd) this morning. The news is not un-expected and I am nowhere near ambulatory but stopping now can ease the damage. I have genes from mom and pop that made this inevitable and a long talk with an uncle 15 yrs. ago was spot-on. Of course nic and coffee are catalysts so they gotta go. Folks say DR. Google can cause undo paranoia but I don't regret any of the research I've done as it got me to be proactive long before any results were confirmed. I slacked up on supplements when I was a month sober and should have continued the b12 and folate as she wants to give me a 3 month round of IM. I will do it as well as get back on the treadmill for a few today. I'm still a huge advocate of tapering especially for alcohol. Lotsa damage avoided here by NOT going cold turkey. This sounds kinda glum but I'm actually stoked to have the opportunity and a part to play in saving my own ass.

Last edited by anattaboy; 03-03-2015 at 04:57 AM. Reason: To praise Inanna for the internet
Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Way to be proactive, anattaboy!
And whatever motivator it takes to quit, so be it!
Enjoy the treadmill!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

1 largish cup today (savoring). Did a 20oz tea at 4pm yesterday for no other reason than I don't know what else to drink. Carbonation is not for me unless it's a monster (lo-carb of course. Will keep it to maybe 12oz today. Didn't really notice the nic redux til an argument with step-daughter ensued and found myself chain-vaping (and yes, it was about 5:30 pm, BP was already high and I'm sure I could have handled it differently).
Old 03-04-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

go large and spend the bux on a vita mix. it comes with recipes.

isn't monster loaded with caffeine?

SPellegrino is not that fizzy. It's actually lightly soda. I drink it after opening and sitting in the fridge for a day or two - or longer
Old 03-04-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yes brain the monsters are definitely OUT. Question--would that turboblender BLEND braunchweiger/crunchy PB/jalapeno/onion too much? How would I extract it from said machine? I kind of like the textures of food. Would my colon get bored?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

add the crunchy stuff after you blend the juicy stuff

now if you have an electric coffee grinder, they are great for making granola bars and such into something you don't need to chew. And it will make your colon appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Will give the pellegrino a try. Many swear by it here.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Going with a Britta pitcher/filter today as we're sure the local coal-firing electrical plant has been poisoning our groundwater for decades and providing excellent water quality reports with their "independent" tests of late. Huge company with huge political pull. I'm worried mostly about heavy metals but coliform "in minute levels" was found in a city storage well sometime back. I really don't trust my guv at any level and may spend a few $ to have my POTW tested as wife and I have had every blood test known and still have GI issues and many in this town are sick all the time. Anyhoo, the britta is step one--stay tuned. On another note, I'll be starting 4% nic tomorrow (been at 5.33 for a week). Coffee is still up and down but it's been awhile since I've added vodka--9 months to be exact.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Consumption is steady at 4ml of 4mg juice a day (the equivalent of about 4 smokes). I expected to vape more as I did with every reduction but alas--I guess it's about time. My zero day will be April 1st. I've had fun with this but I'm not even nicking so much now that I've got the caffeine down.
Went to the chiropractor today with sponsor who swears by his "magic" (I don't attend AA anymore but we still hang) in hopes of getting him vaping. He sez he wants to cold turkey...again. I can respect that but I'm reserving all my vaping gear for him. He always comes up with work for me so I will continue to try new angles to convert him. On another front-my MIL has been vaping and smoke free since tuesday night. 49 yr. smoker. She's determined so I bought her a new protank and am keeping coils wrapped for her and my wife who is holding at 1 pack per day. It's contagious and I don't mind hosting. I've made the contract so this thread will be over in less than 3 weeks. Not sure if anyone cared to read it but it sure has helped me.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for the report! I don't know anything about vaping but it seems to help lots of folks taper and quit for good! And I always read this thread when there's an update!
As a word of encouragement....I quit cold turkey 14 months ago and now I can honestly say I don't even think about smoking! Thank goodness! I was sick of being chained to those dam cigs!!....One more thing to be free of! Yay!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Oh and congrats on 9 months!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I've been off the deep end with the caffeine for about a week and now seem to be in a rut of depression. I'm sure there is a correlation. The nic at 4% is no big deal but WOW, what a yoyo effect. I started this thread because I sensed my body was not metabolizing either well anymore (maybe never did but it was all masked by near-constant alcohol intoxication). This is not all that is going on as wife and I are recovering together and communication is at an all time low and the energy in our house is so chaotic most of the time. I've always felt I was the rock but not so much today. I swear it feels like a relapse and suppose it is of sorts--going against my own word/plan. I guess fixing that part is as simple as cutting back to 2 cups and getting back on the treadmill. Accountability is helpful. Just typing this I feel a little better.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

atboy, first of all, it is my unprofessional opinion that you may have plateaued in you program, maybe it's time to try a different approach

join us on the 24 hour NO nicotine thread... I went cold turkey - and I suffered at some points... but I am on day 49 and I am done with it... you have been tapering since before I went cold turkey... just sayin...

put down the pen, back away and QUIT - I used my, Quit for good method. And I will never change my mind.

the weird thing is that I ramped up my usage just before I quit, so I anti-tapered...
Old 03-15-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks brain. I have a zero day and intend to keep it with the nic. My problem is more with the caffeine and today I did stop at 2 cups. Thanks for the concern tho. I'll come check y'all out on the first.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi there. New again to the boards here, saw this post. Wanted to give some encouragement.

I quit, cold turkey, a pack-to-2 pk a day habit. Allen Carr is the man. 2 months now and going strong! I won't give up caffeine, lol, I admit that, but I did give up Diet Pepsi/Dr. Pepper.

I'm also not drinking. But that came last.

It's possible. It's worth it. I rarely think of smoking anymore. It's just this thing that was in my life and isn't anymore.

Good luck to you all. You can do this!