Jason Vale "Kick the Drink... Easily"

Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't think anything really worthwhile can be too easy........
That said; I see the social acceptance, of even "moderate drinking"
as quite dangerous too. Perhaps AAs attitude here is counter productive?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It sounds very much like Alan Carr's book. "Easy way to give up alcohol" I believe the two may well be interchangeable in that the whole concept is that there is nothing to give up and that you are free from a poison. Anyone else read "Alan Carr's book??
Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keeping it in the day View Post
It sounds very much like Alan Carr's book. "Easy way to give up alcohol" I believe the two may well be interchangeable in that the whole concept is that there is nothing to give up and that you are free from a poison. Anyone else read "Alan Carr's book??
Vale references Carr's book in the forward although I think it is unclear whose came first. Either way, two guys that are onto something big!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

It's a great book. I've been reading it too.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am about 1/3 through. Very eye opening, definitely making me look at alcohol addiction in a different way.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just put it in my iPad. Today's homework.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recommendation, Hoops. I have had Jason Vale's book on my Kindle and I think I stopped about halfway through. I remember liking his upbeat tone. Moving this near the top of my reading stack.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

I read this book too and was sober for about 60 after, just from really thinking about what he wrote. I didn't have cravings for a while. I'm going to reread it this weekend and use it as one of the many tools I need to keep me moving forward on this journey.
I'm glad someone posted about the book- I was afraid if I did that anyone that followed AA would jump on me. Sometimes I hold back from posting on here because I've seen those types of threads.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope2014 View Post
I read this book too and was sober for about 60 after, just from really thinking about what he wrote. I didn't have cravings for a while. I'm going to reread it this weekend and use it as one of the many tools I need to keep me moving forward on this journey.
I'm glad someone posted about the book- I was afraid if I did that anyone that followed AA would jump on me. Sometimes I hold back from posting on here because I've seen those types of threads.
This sub-forum is a welcome place to discuss recovery programs that are openly anti-AA (RR, Vale, etc.), although actual discussion of AA as I understand is prohibited.

No one will jump on you here :-)
Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I continue to believe, as most of us do, whatever works, use it. I couldn't care less if "experts" debunk a particular method of halting alcohol addiction. Popular consensus does not trump individual success. I have begun to read this book and occasionally find premises a bit difficult to accept. But rather than jump to a conclusion, I plan to finish the book, reflect on the content, then make my decision to the value in my quest for sobriety. If it merits my approval, fine. If it doesn't, that's fine as well. It is not an overall judgment on the validity of the book, for I can only qualify what rings true to me.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
I continue to believe, as most of us do, whatever works, use it. I couldn't care less if "experts" debunk a particular method of halting alcohol addiction. Popular consensus does not trump individual success.
I love this! Popular consensus does not trump individual success. WOW!

This book has been on my radar a few weeks now.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Seems to me, JV is saying that consumption = abuse.

Why would any sane person willingly consume a poison ? (or along those lines)

Doesn't this fly in the face of the scientific & medical opinion with documented & peer reviewed research, that there is such a thing as "safe levels" of consumption ?

I haven't read the book by the way, just this thread so far.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doesn't this fly in the face of the scientific & medical opinion with documented & peer reviewed research, that there is such a thing as "safe levels" of consumption ?
Apparently arsenic can be quite good for you too in minute doses, but I'm not gonna follow that idea up

I haven't read Vale's book either.
I think we probably both should before joining this thread, whale

D
Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post

Not exactly, but nobody is ever 100% safe or in control when drinking, that's his bigger point. The only surefire way to assert complete control over alcohol, and it's foolproof.... don't drink it.

I guess "safe" is all relative. Low levels of consumption certainly aren't healthy per se, but you probably won't get into any car wrecks or fist fights or have a shouting match with your partner. You may still wake up groggy, feel dehydrated, or some other minor effects though. I would be curious to know if the people producing these studies use the drug themselves. In my opinion that would certainly compromise their credibility.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post

yes it does. We rationalize how we are different. How its just a little poison. How we will stop tomorrow. Self reflection and rigorous honesty are tough, which allows denial to run deep.

As Dee mentions with cigarettes, small cuts are easily rationalized even though they kills just as much as one nice slice.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Finishing the book, I feel it did had merit for me. I strongly believe alcoholism is not a disease but an addiction as Vale states, but also believe it is something that lies dormant and able to emerge if some degree of caution is not exerted. I found the continued references to how alcohol use has never benefited anyone and a few other citations correct but maybe a bit too repetitive. I'm certain it is a device to instill the concept tho the reader, but still a little over the edge for me.
I came away with another piece of equipment to support my sobriety and that is a plus. I continue to define my own addiction and the methods to maintain an alcohol-free life.
If the bell rings well for you, ring it. If out doesn't, get another bell.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Jason Vale and Alan Carr used to work together. Both books are structured as self hypnosis and seem to be relatively effective. I used to search for different bells, but only one rang true. If you want to stay sober then don't pick up the next drink.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I have read them both. I got something from each of them.
It was someone on sr that recommended them. For that I am very grateful. Xx
Old 01-08-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I will be getting a copy this weekend, sounds just like what I need at the moment
I like & agree with the truth
Stay sober=don't drink
Simples!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CelticZebra View Post
I will be getting a copy this weekend, sounds just like what I need at the moment
I like & agree with the truth
Stay sober=don't drink
Simples!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Glad to hear. I'm at 7 months now, haven't popped on SR in a while but just wanted to reiterate how much the book helped me when I first read it around 2 months sober. Life without booze has become the norm, and it's good to finally be a normal person not living with a horrible addiction. Freedom from addiction made me a normal person again, and I relish it every day.