A New Year, A New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Glad I could give you a bit of a laugh received, I don't usually find much humour about my condition butlets face it, a lump in the bum muscle is just inherently funny hehe. Well I mean once it's gone of course.

Ahh myth you know the pain then, mine was very deep in the glute muscle so as you can imagine, it was unpleasant to drain. And it was close to the nerve so they had to be really careful otherwise my leg would have just kicked out. And that's why that particular one was so painful, right by the nerve
Old 06-20-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post
Glad I could give you a bit of a laugh received, I don't usually find much humour about my condition butlets face it, a lump in the bum muscle is just inherently funny hehe. Well I mean once it's gone of course.

Ahh myth you know the pain then, mine was very deep in the glute muscle so as you can imagine, it was unpleasant to drain. And it was close to the nerve so they had to be really careful otherwise my leg would have just kicked out. And that's why that particular one was so painful, right by the nerve
Good attitude. I had a pilonidal cyst that I dealt with for about 9 months. 2 surgeries to get rid of it once and for all and they couldn't stitch it up either time, it had to heal in. It was an awful ordeal (look it up to see where people get them). Of course I was drinking then, but you're not alone in having an embarrassing medical condition. You'll get past it, stay strong.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post
It was your descriptive words "princess and the pea" that had me chuckling, Davey. Hope I didn't offend you.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
It was your descriptive words "princess and the pea" that had me chuckling, Davey. Hope I didn't offend you.

Don't be silly you couldn't offend me, I made the joke for a reason! Like I said my condition is painful so not funny most of the time but the one in the backside was funny afterwards, glad you liked the princess and the pea reference lol.

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Good attitude. I had a pilonidal cyst that I dealt with for about 9 months. 2 surgeries to get rid of it once and for all and they couldn't stitch it up either time, it had to heal in. It was an awful ordeal (look it up to see where people get them). Of course I was drinking then, but you're not alone in having an embarrassing medical condition. You'll get past it, stay strong.
My uncle had one of those, he got rid of it without surgery, some sort of magnesium paste applied every day drew it out and eventually the whole thing came out as a long core, ick. He took pictures, why I have no idea, and why he shows everyone I'm really not sure.

Unfortunately my condition won't pass, it's a rare thing which I don't want to name as if my family ever read this they would know it was me because of the rarity of the condition. and they don't know about my drinking problems The cysts occur actually in the muscles at random, they don't show on the surface. It' very weird and painful.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I hope you're well, Davey! Here in the States is been unseasonably cool. We got another "polar vortex" which brought nighttime temps down to the high 40's F! It's bizarre, normally it would be 90 even at night. Sadly today it's been hot and humid and the forecast is for normal upper-90's temps next week.

Hopefully you're in a "good cycle" with regard to pain. Hang in there, man!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Just started my vacation! The weather was great- about 75 degrees and sunny- and just an all around good day. Lots of stuff to do, kind of dinked around. But really vacation is a time to goof off! I have been ready for it, too.

Hope things are well, Davey. Just keepin' this thread warm for you til you get a chance to pop back in. I hope the days have been good for you as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Just started my vacation! The weather was great- about 75 degrees and sunny- and just an all around good day. Lots of stuff to do, kind of dinked around. But really vacation is a time to goof off! I have been ready for it, too.

Hope things are well, Davey. Just keepin' this thread warm for you til you get a chance to pop back in. I hope the days have been good for you as well.
Hey myth, and others of course.

Thanks very much for keeping the thread warm, I apologise for my absence, I have been checking in to read the progress of others but I just have not had the energy to post anything. My condition took a bit of a downturn, no major new cysts or anything but I've been getting so many aches in my muscles and joints and just generally exhausted that I haven't been able to post. I've been spending a lot of time in bed and usnig the laptop I have is still a bit too muich most of the time. My shoulders and arms hurt so much it's just hard to type, tossing and turning, trying to find some kind of comfortable position but it only lasts 5 minutes before I need to move again.

I've had some bloods taken and they're showing major inflammation which explains all of this but like I've said before, I can't take NSAID's to reduce it. And I can't take the usual steroids either as they seem to make other issues worse, so just having to wait it out.

Thanks especially to you mythofsisyphus as it's always nice to think someone has me in their thoughts outside the usual family members. You take care of yourself and of course that goes for everyone else as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Man, I'm sorry if our comments force you to post, though. It sucks that the pain sneaks up and ambushes you like that. I don't know what the docs are able to do but if they don't have a good treatment for this bout of pain I hope it at least passes soon.

Good to see you hanging in and posting! Now get some rest!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Man, I'm sorry if our comments force you to post, though. It sucks that the pain sneaks up and ambushes you like that. I don't know what the docs are able to do but if they don't have a good treatment for this bout of pain I hope it at least passes soon.

Good to see you hanging in and posting! Now get some rest!

Oh mate no no no, I never meant to make you feel bad. Your comments don't make me post, I only post when I'm feeling well enough honestly so feel free to comment away

The pains not great but as I've mentioned before I also get exhaustion and other bits and pieces which are unhelpful. At least they can help treat the pain, some of the other symptoms there is nothing to help. But hey I'm keeping on going, trying to keep my mind active when I have the energy. I've just started reading David Copperfield because I want to complete all of Dickens work. Being ill sucks but the time can be either used or wasted and I try and choose the latter.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

That's the best way to look at it. Time will pass no matter what we do; we can use it or waste it. Now that I'm sober I don't want to waste any more time.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

That's the best way to look at it. Time will pass no matter what we do; we can use it or waste it. Now that I'm sober I don't want to waste any more time.
Absolutely and please remember you have helped keep at least one person sober (me obviously) so take some comfrot/pride/whatever in that. Every post you make here is not a waste of time because it reminds me I have some support.

My family will (hopefully) never know of my alcohol issues. So ultimately I only have you lot to talk to about it and regardless of how many reply, as long as I have 1 person who can listen, understand and talk to me about it I believe I can stay on the sober path.

You take care mate.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Summer in my part of the country feels like it's over before it has begun! Normally it's sweltering right now but tonite it's a cool 65. Been raining for about three days. Doesn't bother me but it's strange. Due to school and stuff I haven't done much yet this summer. Hopefully I'll still manage to get out and camp a couple of times (haven't done so even once!).

Looking at the title of this thread I'm struck by the fact that before long we will need a new one! We're really burning through 2014, it's well over halfway done.

I don't know about the rest of you but coming up on nearly two years sober I'm starting to feel like a completely different person. My old ideas of the word "impossible" have been obliterated. Somehow just being sober this long- something I once considered 'impossible'- has made me feel like maybe nothing is impossible.

I really hope sobriety is making you all feel that way too!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Well, I shouldn't have complained! Summer is here with a vengeance. It's funny, school has started for most of the kids (kind of the "end of the summer" for most) but we're getting some real heat.

I have a new job lined up but it won't start for a little while, so I'm in that limbo of showing up to work every day but wishing I was already done. Still, at least I'm still getting a check. The new job is pretty exciting, more interesting and challenging than my current job. Just wish it was starting sooner.

I tend to get a little wistful/melancholy at the changing of the seasons. This summer was kind of ho-hum but I'm not ready for it to end. I haven't done much "summer stuff" yet. Here most of us hope for an "Indian Summer", mild summer-like weather leading into the fall. With luck I'll have some time between the end of this job and the beginning of my new one to get some stuff done!

Hope things are well, Davey!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I hope you're getting along fine, Davey. Had a great weekend, went camping and tried to enjoy the waning days of summer. It's gonna be a hectic fall and winter for me so I'm trying to drink it in and just savor the moment while I have this lull...
Old 09-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Sisyphus, thanks so much for keeping up with my thread. I'm ok mate, I am checking in almost daily to read this thread and reading the success of others.

Unfortunately I'm really ill and just typing is very difficult right now which is why I've been very absent. Don't think that's should make you feel guilty though! I know other times you have felt bad when I reply in this way because you think I feel pressured to reply, I promise that isn't a factor. I'm so glad to hear you have had a nice period of weather to enjoy

I'm still sober of course, not quite sure how long it has been but it's the longest ever period and that's all that matters to me now. I'm not increasing my pain meds, but hell I'm in a lot of pain and sadly most of my joints are inflamed now, including hands so typing huts me quite a bit. I can do it don't worry, I just have to wait until I can give it a good go and then rest.

You take care mate, along with others on the forum. I am an atheist so I can't thank god I found this place, but I am so grateful you guys are around. I suppose I should thank the drunken and desperate stupor that lead me here.

Anyone who reads this and has not posted, please do, the people here are ust fantastic. If you don't go public then I'm happy for you to conact me privately. I'm not perfect but I'm happy to try and help.

Take care.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

It sucks that your pain has amped up but at least you're sober- you can control at least one thing! Get better soon, DaveyT!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Wish there was something I could do to help, Davey.

I haven't been around here much this spring/summer but I do think of a lot of you folks often.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Wish there was something I could do to help, Davey.

I haven't been around here much this spring/summer but I do think of a lot of you folks often.
You do help! Just look back at how much support you have given me, the time you've taken, you have no clue just how much I'm grateful for it. You're a big help, dont' ever forget it.

My troubles atm are difficult I admit. The severe inflammation in my joints is new, I've had inflammation in my joints before but not like this. My hands have never really been attacked, the various lumps and bumps have appeared in my forearms which made typing difficult but they could be drained. The swelling in all my knuckles, wrist etc can't be as it's just swelling cells. It makes typing so hard, I keep hitting the wrong keys I've had to start doubling checking what I type. But hey it's just part of life I guess.

You take care of yourself, dont' ever feel pressured to come and join us lot if you're not up to it. Get on with your sober life!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

That sounds pretty sucky! I hope that some new, more effective therapy comes up for your condition, DT. On some levels medicine is amazing (eg organ transplants) but on others it seems we're little better than the leeches and bleedings of the middle ages.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Well the reality is medicine moves slowly because it has to. You can't just start injecting people with stuff until it's been properly tested and of course the money tends to go towards the most common illnesses. As my illness is really not that common it receive no media attention and very little funding outside of some PhD student doing a thesis.

I love science so I won't hear criticism of it :P It's hard to be even minded with such things but you have to stand back sometimes and look at the reality. Once they are done with cancer, replacing organs, HIV, heart disease etc then I'm sure they'll get around to my condition