P.a.w.s.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

P.a.w.s.

Anyone here ever suffer from Post Acute Alcohol Withdrawl? I'm battling it..
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Don't know what it was called but my detox/withdrawal was an absolute B***h.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really foggy lately. As my granny used to say "I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached". Also, for about the last week or so, I'm having a hard time keeping my train of thought and when speaking to someone I just can't seem to find the simplest words. Oh, and tired, I am so darn tired, not necessarily sleepy tired and not weak, just worn out feeling.

I am abstinent for about 3 months or so.

Anyway, I don't know if it's PAWS or not.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know, but 17 days in and I'm not sleeping. Also, I've never been fond of sweets, but I've been eating sugar by the bucket. I don't know if it's alcohol-related. My first few days I was pretty sick, but now I just feel exhausted.

I'm wondering how soon I can go have my liver checked again. I know it can heal, I just don't know how fast.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sleep got better for me at about 3 weeks. I also started riding my bike,which helps me sleep. Sugar intake has decreased, but is still much higher than when I was drinking. Yesterday I burned about 300 calories on my bike and then sucked down about 500 from the Easter basket sitting on the kitchen counter. (Jelly beans?! I never eat jelly beans!)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol contains a lot of sugar...if you drank a of wine as i did 8-10 glasses a day.
The first week i quit i was eating and hoarding chocolate as there would be a famine coming.
Try to find quality fresh fruit, melon as a lot of sugar and tart cherries have natural melatonin too.
I do hot decaff herbal teas after noon time.
Liver function tests(LFT) can be done at 3-4 month intervals, i think it is more of a cost issue for the insurances. Ask your pcprovider, the office staff will know.
I am going to buy some yarn this week.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What's made my sugar craving better is taking a vitamin B-Complex it has Thiemine in it and helped me regulate my hunger and especially those sugar cravings. Insomnia was really had for me as well but camomile tea and or taking a light "Benzo" will help here.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 75 days sober and paws is still a bitch. You would not believe the misery and pain I initially went through. It was extremely painful. It wasn't so my physical but emotionally and mentally. It is considerably better but I've been going through a lot of anxiety. I just can't go back there. I realize its difficult but hang in there. Do let us know how you're doing. Sorry this isn't more uplifting, I can definitely relate.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I am going to buy some yarn this week.
Awesome! Let me know what you are going to make!

Have you joined Ravelry? Tons of free patterns and forums... three million knitters, crocheters, dyers and spinners there.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

According to rational recovery, PAWS is not real?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TameTheBeast View Post
It is scientific fact.

Your body is adjusting on a cellular level. Oftentimes your kidneys and liver are healing, and your brain need adjusting too.

I suffered paws for MONTHS.
I think I still have a few minor things going on, but it really vastly improved.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Add me to the boat. I'm trying to keep away from sugar and caffeine, but the insomnia continues to plague me! Received, I have that same feeling. I don't necessarily want to go to bed, but I feel hazy at times. Or I'll make a phone call and have to quickly look at the screen to remind myself of who I'm calling. I'm a (sober) mess!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried to unlock my apt door with the car alarm button. It didn't work.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whipster View Post
I tried to unlock my apt door with the car alarm button. It didn't work.
ROFLMAO. My cellphone rang a couple days ago and I answered the tv remote. That didn't work either.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by TameTheBeast View Post
That's okay. According to PAWS, Rational Recovery isn't real.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
That's okay. According to PAWS, Rational Recovery isn't real.
There are things I honestly like about RR, and there are things I don't. If that's true, that's another one.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hehe, well said on PAWS. It definately is a real established scientific fact. I'm nearly 40 days in and it has gotten better, a lot, yet still sometimes bothers more than at other times.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hi all,

great thread, I am new to SR, on day 3, determined and trying to prepare myself for what may, or may not? lie ahead

by day 3 I just want to sleep a lot, and it gets worse as day 5 or 6 rolls around, day 7 is as far as I have gotten

but not this time.........!!! I don't want any more poison and I don't want to start over, this is just too hard.

this PAWS, is there a prescribed method for preventing it? or curing it once it starts? I am willing to do whatever to help myself stay sober and it sounds like avoiding PAWS would help...

maybe a dumb question since y'all are all speaking as though you have suffered from it and I am sure you would have avoided it if you could--it sounds very threatening to ones sobriety and miserable too---I don't deal well with any sort of state of depression--had enuf of that in my life years ago.

thanks in advance for advice
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Trish,
I know paws really sucks. I'm right in the middle of it. Some days it's not too bad, others, well, I just have to deal with it. I am not sure about skipping it all together, but I believe there are ways to minimize the effects. This is a link about paws.
Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?
Good luck.
Amy
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I can't recall what RR's position on PAWS is, but my position on PAWS which is consistent with my understanding of RR, is not that PAWS does not exist, but instead that it is just irrelevant to sobriety. One of the primary tenets of RR is that once we make our Big Plan, our commitment to unconditional sobriety, things like PAWS may make us uncomfortable for a period of time but don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Thanks, Bogey.