Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

I've just ordered the book.
Hubby is happy to take on his beast next week & stop smoking for good.
My anxiety issue is allowing my AV to test my resolve.
I spoke to hubby and he is having similar thoughts.
We are looking forward to some beast taming next week!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-28-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

I found quitting smoking to be the hardest. It's not like other substances where you use them sometimes, smoking you do ALL the time. I had quit soooooooo many times and it was always the ONE that undid me. I could be quit for a year and have one and within a week be smoking all day again. Right now I'm vaping so I'm still addicted to nicotine but the harm has been reduced big time. Now that I'm on the e-cigarette real smokes gross me out and I have an allergic reaction when people smoke around me, I get all congested and can't stop sneezing.

Every time I quit I also used AVRT but I didn't know it. I would think of two phrases, NOPE Not One Puff Ever, and cigarettes travel in packs. I also used the nicotine gum for the first few weeks so I didn't lose my **** at work or on my family, quitting smoking would make me so cranky. I also made a resolve to never bum smoke from a friend. If I wanted one that badly I would have to go to the store and but an entire pack. Good luck you can do it!! You will feel so much better for it!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

It's a Done Deal

Hi. I just noticed that this thread was active again. I don't think it was when I first joined the site. Thanks for bumping it, Freshstart.

I read the Crash Course on the website early on and it just clicked for me. I bought the book, but have not read it. Mostly because I haven't really done any reading to speak of since I quit drinking, except for reading threads here on SR.

I just don't buy into the whole helplessness thing. I'm not helpless. I hit a fork in the road and I had to decide, do I follow the path of drinking which I could clearly see was eventually going to kill me? Or do I follow the path of sobriety which was going to be the key to me ever accomplishing anything truly useful or meaningful ever again? I chose the path of sobriety. I (noun) chose (verb).

And it's a done deal. I don't drink. Period.

The AV pops up it's head every now and then. It did yesterday, with some whining about "Needing" a drink after work. It wasn't a "Struggle", it wasn't a battle of wills between me and the AV. It was me taking a moment to breath and recognize the thought for what it was. Just a thought. I am NOT my thoughts. Thoughts and feelings are fleeting things. They pass. And I remain.

For me now, the focus is on taking positive, practical steps to improve my health and better manage my life in general. It's not rocket science. It's having the mindset that I get my butt out of bed each morning, and I get stuff done. I may not always "feel" like it. But when I take positive actions and get stuff done in spite of negative thoughts and emotions, I end up feeling better in the end. Funny how that works.

I like what Brynn said about doing things deliberately from a place of confidence and authority. That's great way to put it.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

I am over 50 hours into quitting tobacco - smokeless "Skoal Brother!" After reading through this thread the other night I thought, just quit and get it over with.

That's it - my new plan includes no tobacco. I lasted a day about a month ago, but now, I'm putting my foot down. NO more dip. Had my teeth cleaned Monday. I used to quit every six months - this time it's for good.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Good for you!! You never have to be a slave to tobacco again!!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

This last Christmas was nine years without a smoke. It took years of false starts, but finally I just quit and stayed quit. It took about 3 months to become a solid new habit and 9 months for all the cravings to cease. One of the best things I ever did.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

tnx - jazz, wife asked me how I'm doing this morning - on edge to say the least, my b/p is elevated since yesterday ??? unsure why.
it was probably better while she was still asleep...

I've decided that this is truly it for me and dip. I started to look for it when I poured a cup of coffee about 1/2 hour ago. This ain't easy.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Lbrain, congrats on your decision to give up tobacco. I gave up smoking over 33 years ago and haven't looked back. That said there were definitely some cigarettes that were harder to give up than others because I they were associated with a certain activity such as the morning coffee you mentioned. You'll eventually get past it. And it's worth it.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
...holds the key

LBrain...I don't really have much to add, just wanted to say Well Done on quitting!

I'm almost a year smoke free and it is so liberating! Just like booze, I was always worried about running out, where I could smoke, when I could smoke, etc....I'm free of all that now! With the money I saved on cigs I bought a car! It was hard in the beginning, but my mind was made up and I knew I would never smoke again. I promise it will get easier and you'll never regret quitting!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

starting day 4 - first thing I did was look for my stash - there ain't none here.
I was actually afraid to go out yesterday because I was jonesing so bad.
I quit!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

By day four you should be past the worst of the withdrawals it will get easier and you will feel much better.

I remember looking and reaching for my pack after I'd quit too and then remembering oh yeah I quit! I had lots of smoking dreams too, oddly I haven't had any about drinking.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I'm 85 hours quit nicotine. I am still struggling with it. Driving past the gas station gave me the chills. I picked up some chocolate covered pretzels and M&Ms. I was grinding my teeth this afternoon - something I never do. I have some licorice sticks to gnaw on. I refuse to put that stuff in my mouth ever again.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Brain, Your resolve is contagious.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

I almost made my BP last night with regard to the nic but resisted when hubby (& his beastie) came into the room after their fix.
I wasn't ready to tackle it....
LBrain you are an inspiration to me, my mind is set for 2nd Feb 2015, hope the book turns up, even if it doesn't I will NEVER change my mind, it's set....
GO

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

100 hours no nicotine - I quit for good!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A death defying act, LBrain. Well done. I think you need a special hat.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

LBrain, congrats. That's good stuff.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

well all i can say is wow what a thread!
i have spent all day reading and have got through part 5.....now i need to go to part 1 and see where it all started from.
so much interesting stuff here.xx
Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Brynn…I loved your comment about "deliberate and confident living". Sobriety empowers me. For me attaching my sobriety to an external system I felt put me in a precarious position. For I think I felt if I failed at a system, then my sobriety was tainted.

It felt very risky to offer up criticism of the way I was doing things to others who were invested in doing it differently. Unfortunately, early on we are in a vulnerable position and our lack of time sober makes us an easy target for people who have been doing it longer.

I was steered in a direction by my rehab. I was steered in a direction by my therapist. I was steered in a direction by a sober coach that my therapist somewhat forced on me. I felt disengaged from my sobriety…as if it was up for public scrutiny and susceptible to being sculpted to fit other's concept of what sobriety entailed.

Around 6 months I took a stand. I let my therapist go, lost the sober coach, and began to realize that the dreadful predictions that I would fail if I didn't do it a specific way were not applicable to me.

I don't care how other people get sober. It is not my place to judge them, we each arrive at the gates of sobriety with a different suitcase full of complexities. Gender, age, socioeconomic factors, physical issues, personalities….an endless list that undoubtedly means our different needs would indicate we need different solutions.

That is what makes alcoholism and addiction so darn difficult. We manifest similar behaviors but I believe it is because of a very broad range of reasons.

Imagine an ER room. 10 people with broken legs. One fell off a ladder, another a car crash, a ski accident, slipped on ice, injured in the workplace, etc. They all present with the same issue, yet the origins are markedly different. Some knew they were playing with fire, others were simply meandering along and are stunned that their life was turned upside down.

Now these same people are discharged. One is picked up by a limo and ferried home to be waited on by a slew of staff, recovery time is meaningless, there is no pressing issues. Another has to take public transportation, get up four flights of stairs and figure out how to pay the rent as they can't wait tables with a broken leg. The car crash victim is picked up by his mother who has already called his college to see if he can defer this semester. The ski racer knows he has forfeited his place on the ski team…he is not sure if he will be able to make it to the Olympics.

Same issue..but they all got there differently and they will all need to unwind it based on their life stories.

Now plug in a psychological injury like addiction. Way more complicated in how we arrive there, and way more complicated on the fallout and repair.

Nothing is wrong with you, simply nothing. In fact I have followed your progress and I am not surprised you have arrived at a place where you feel resistant to being pressured to do it a particular way. You are pretty kick-a** in my opinion. You realized your beau was an impediment, you moved out. You write beautifully. You are succinct and intelligent and you are chafing at others telling you that there is only one way to do things. You arrived at the same place I did…believe in yourself. This is probably one of the most important things you will ever do…and NO ONE knows you better than you know yourself.

SR has brilliantly shown me the array of ways to get sober. I love it. And I feel that going forward the world of sobriety will continue to expand which will mean more people will find solutions that work for them. SR opens the door for all of us to be able to draw on that which will reinforce our strengths. And there is nothing wrong with questioning and sorting…it is a process, and you are well on your way!

brilliant jaynie
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
brilliant jaynie
+1

Thanks for reposting, LBrain, I missed it the first time. Just fantastic stuff.