Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Freshstart and others,

Can you find the Addictive Voice lurking within the above post?
I see it in both judging sobriety as a good thing, which opens the door to later finding it to be a bad thing and thus a wrong decision; and in the declaration of having to change the narrative, another conditional which leaves the door open to going back.

Did I win?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welllllll, I think it goes like this:
Any thought of drinking again, now or in the future, or doubt in one's ability to remain sober forever, is AV.

So, based on that definition, the AV is the idea that remaining sober is dependent upon the focus on sobriety's advantanges. Instead, if one starts thinking about the pleasures of drinking, then one will drink again. That would be the AV right there, Vern.

A real Big Plan has an unconditional commitment to sobriety. The idea that this state of sobriety is conditional on anything else, is AV.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hmmmm interesting.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Ok but there are some pleasures to be had in drinking! I'm sorry but there are. People wouldn't of been doing it since BC if it didn't create pleasure. So the logic is that if I acknowledge that drinking can bring me pleasure I will drink again?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm new at this, too. But I'll give it a shot!

First: future tense. "I have to change" implies something to be done in the future rather than something that has already been set in stone.

Second: "I don't have to", "I have to", and "I get to" all imply that the power lies elsewhere and not with the speaker.

Third: "I'm" not giving up anything. The beast is, but it will project its loss into your feelings leading you to feel as if you ARE giving something up.

Maybe? It's easier to recognize my own.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

. Double Post
Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Ok but there are some pleasures to be had in drinking! I'm sorry but there are. People wouldn't of been doing it since BC if it didn't create pleasure. So the logic is that if I acknowledge that drinking can bring me pleasure I will drink again?
Not exactly, nothing is inevitable. Rather your sobriety is completely independent of whether you are focused on the good or bad things about sobriety or drinking.

By the way, my favorite book on quitting started off with a statement that drinking can be awesome, but, at some point, not drinking may be more awesome. I have no desire to repaint the past for something it wasn't.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hahaha! If I thought my words would later be dissected I would of put more thought into them!

I think my sobriety is based on my decision not to drink. Life will certainly bring lots of ups and downs. I get that. I just can't be so black and white about what is good and bad. I had good times partying. I liked it. Too much. I wanted to do it all the time. That's where the trouble that brought me to this site started. It was both good and bad. But I can't deny that I found pleasure in it. It would be a lie. But it doesn't mean that I can't put a cork in it.

Are you talking about detaching myself from all of these truths?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

AVRT is for complete abstinence. It's not about whether alcohol/drugs are inherently good and bad. One of the points in RR is that we got here because we LIKED it so much. Unfortunately, for whatever reason I enjoyed it so much and for so long that there is a part of my brain that tells me I can't live without it. Voila! Addiction! I have nothing against alcohol, per se. It's not the enemy, my AV is.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Hahaha! If I thought my words would later be dissected I would of put more thought into them!

I think my sobriety is based on my decision not to drink. Life will certainly bring lots of ups and downs. I get that. I just can't be so black and white about what is good and bad. I had good times partying. I liked it. Too much. I wanted to do it all the time. That's where the trouble that brought me to this site started. It was both good and bad. But I can't deny that I found pleasure in it. It would be a lie. But it doesn't mean that I can't put a cork in it.

Are you talking about detaching myself from all of these truths?
The decision of whether or not to make a Big Plan (which takes about five seconds), is quite dependent upon what has happened in the past up to the very point in time of making the Big Plan.

Once the Big Plan is made, though, it is completely invulnerable to anything that went on in the past, including your present memories of the past.

Acknowledging that drinking alcohol did give deeeeeep deeeeep pleasure is an important truth in Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Brain Full_2.jpg (60.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

The option to drink...ever....has been removed from my list of options permanently--by me. Good times, Bad times....none of that is part of the equation.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.

My decision to never drink again is completely independent of my mood (thank god), my financial situation, my circumstances, my love life, my health, my frame of mind, my motivation, my ANYTHING.

I don't have to conjure up the 'right' mood or circumstance for it to be true and work.

It's simply awesome!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Amazing thread. Only managed to read part 5 & felt it was time to say hi

My AV was getting stronger as last week progressed and without thinking about it I came to SR.
I made my BP about 15 months ago & can only say I wish I'd made it sooner.
Anyway I'm loving my freedom from the addiction of alcohol and realised that my beast has been having fun with my other addictions.

I've got a list of things I no longer do and never will again.
I have a list of current addictions & am planning to tackle them all with AVRT

I read Jason Vale's book & the whole thing made a difference to me, I've just found the secular forums and find a lot of regular posters really resonate with my thinking.
I've had another look at the AVRT website & found loads of fabulous stuff there.

My next BP will be made 2nd Feb; no more nicotine for me!
Funny how the beast reacts to my plans.
Now it's stopped screaming I can see how scared it is.
I conquered it with regard to the poison alcohol & that was easy.
I don't drink alcohol. I will never drink alcohol, ever.

Thanks for being here

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi CZ!

I used the AVRT concept to quit smoking about a year ago before I even knew what AVRT was! I haven't had a cigarette since, and I will never smoke again. I love being free of both nicotine and alcohol and my only regret I that I didn't do it sooner!

Can I ask why you're waiting until February 2?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
---
(The My Brain is Full Joke)
Why was this was posted here?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

My guess is less thinking and more application. For a lot of us it was an almost audible click post reading. Like an ostrich pulling it's head out of the hole. Others may take some practice. The Buddha had to go back and dig a little also to find some hidden fetters. May you find yours sooner than later.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Coz my hubby's quitting too and we have an apt with the practice nurse to put us in touch with the ways they help people to quit.
I mentioned wanting to quit smoking when last there about hubby's snoring; he's got to make an appointment with the sleep clinic but he needs to quit to see if that helps!

He had some very tough issues to deal with over the past 6 years and quit drinking back then but I think he's happier to cut down rather than to quit altogether.

Although I've used the big plan with regard to alcohol and am now having a fine life without the 'recovery process' I fear my av with regard to nicotine and would like to live in a total smoke free zone & to not have a husband who smells bad!

I know it's all AV and it's all smoke and mirrors.
I almost feel as though I'm psyching myself up for the withdrawal process, I've been through it twice before and although the serious cravings have passed within a week. The habitual rolling and smoking & the temporary relief are what I'm trying to figure out in advance so I can be prepared.

Grab the beast and stuff it back where it belongs.

I have a family member who is an alcoholic and I have, tonight, spoken to other family members about AVRT and directed those people to the website.

I feel a need to buy the book (which I have never owned, or indeed seen, a copy of!) and get copies for them too.
I think it may be sensible to get the issue aimed at quitting nicotine for myself.

Does anyone have experience of this version or any Opinions on which one(s) may have the best information?

I am now on part 1 of this thread and already learning an awful lot which is helping me....
Keep on it guys, great stuff!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi CZ!

I totally get setting a date.
Just remember that your AV is not something to be feared. When you fear it you give it power. And you know that it's the same AV for the booze and the nicotine, so, if you can control it on the booze issue you can control it for any other addiction.
And I think it's great to be prepared, especially since you already know what to expect.