brain scan images of drug & alcohol abuse

Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

brain scan images of drug & alcohol abuse

I put this is another thread but getting buried

Images of Alcohol and Drug Abuse – Amen Clinics

The good news is it can be turned around, see the before and after images after a year drug and alcohol free near the bottom.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Invaluable, thanks.

Makes you wander what the old grey matter looks like for those full on party heads that do the works!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

azureseas , Yea, Tanks for the post, I found it fascinating. Made me worry what my brain would look like after all the harmful chemicals and alcohol I have used. I’m glad the brain does recover somewhat with time! Maybe in 20 years, when I’m 80 mine will be cleared up enough to enjoy dementia and Alzheimer’s . (lol) Ld
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

I dont know why that makes me laugh, coz i guess thats whats in store perhaps...

...man do i pity those nurses who have to sort me out! heh ;-)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Mine is so pickled, it will probably remain the same after my bones are dust. Boy, will that freak out some archaeologist in the future.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tou guys crack me up!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

haha mine probably looks like a cheese grater, looking forward to a nice plump brain again in 11.5 months
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Holy $hit.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

New brain scan reveals nothing at all

Scientists are heralding a breakthrough in brain scan technology after a team at Oxford University produced full colour images of a human brain that shows nothing of any significance.

‘This is an amazing discovery’, said leading neuroscientist Baroness Susan Greenfield, ‘the pictures tell us nothing about how the brain works, provide us with no insights into the nature of human consciousness, and all with such lovely colours.’

The images, produced using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, reveal a vibrant range of colours including red, green, yellow and blue. ‘The brain isn’t really this exciting,’ explained Professor Greenfield, ‘it’s actually quite a dull grey – we just added the colours to help jazz it up.’

Scientists created the images by scanning the brains of subjects while they were watching a television weather forecast. ‘We know that the human brain automatically switches off during the weather,’ explained Baroness Greenfield, ‘usually at precisely the moment the forecaster is talking about your region. These scans capture that moment of mental ‘nothingness’ in full and glorious detail.’

The development, which has been widely reported around the world, is also significant because it allows journalists to publish big fancy pictures of the brain that look really impressive while having little or no explanatory value.

‘These scans are fantastic,’ said Lawrence McGinty, Science Editor for ITV News, ‘not only are they bright and colourful but the graphics department have even converted them into 3D and can make them spin around the screen while I stand in front waving my hands about. None of this helps to explain anything, but it does it so much better the old black and white pictures. They were rubbish.’

The scans were also welcomed by neurologist Professor Oliver Sacks, best-selling author of The Man Who Mistook his Brain Scan for a News Story. ‘These images provide us with the best picture yet of nothing much going on inside the human head. I particularly like the way different regions of the brain light up for no apparent reason. It’s so cool.’

‘We are actually making some great progress in understanding how the brain works,’ assured Professor Greenfield, ‘but that usually involves graphs, numbers and complicated things. We will work it out eventually, but in the meantime it’s nice to have some pretty pictures to look at.’
Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post

Scientists are heralding a breakthrough in brain scan technology after a team at Oxford University produced full colour images of a human brain that shows nothing of any significance.

‘This is an amazing discovery’, said leading neuroscientist Baroness Susan Greenfield, ‘the pictures tell us nothing about how the brain works, provide us with no insights into the nature of human consciousness, and all with such lovely colours.’

The images, produced using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, reveal a vibrant range of colours including red, green, yellow and blue. ‘The brain isn’t really this exciting,’ explained Professor Greenfield, ‘it’s actually quite a dull grey – we just added the colours to help jazz it up.’

Scientists created the images by scanning the brains of subjects while they were watching a television weather forecast. ‘We know that the human brain automatically switches off during the weather,’ explained Baroness Greenfield, ‘usually at precisely the moment the forecaster is talking about your region. These scans capture that moment of mental ‘nothingness’ in full and glorious detail.’

The development, which has been widely reported around the world, is also significant because it allows journalists to publish big fancy pictures of the brain that look really impressive while having little or no explanatory value.

‘These scans are fantastic,’ said Lawrence McGinty, Science Editor for ITV News, ‘not only are they bright and colourful but the graphics department have even converted them into 3D and can make them spin around the screen while I stand in front waving my hands about. None of this helps to explain anything, but it does it so much better the old black and white pictures. They were rubbish.’

The scans were also welcomed by neurologist Professor Oliver Sacks, best-selling author of The Man Who Mistook his Brain Scan for a News Story. ‘These images provide us with the best picture yet of nothing much going on inside the human head. I particularly like the way different regions of the brain light up for no apparent reason. It’s so cool.’

‘We are actually making some great progress in understanding how the brain works,’ assured Professor Greenfield, ‘but that usually involves graphs, numbers and complicated things. We will work it out eventually, but in the meantime it’s nice to have some pretty pictures to look at.’
That's hilarious...after reading the first few paragraphs I assumed it was from the Onion.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jbb...Bwahahahaha!

My sister had brain surgery where they removed about a silver dollar size portion of her brain...this was to heal a seizure disorder. Not only did it not effect her but her seizures are 100% gone. Just goes to show how remarkable the brain is. I definitely feel sharper today than 9 months ago....looking forward to continued improvement!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh dang...just realized caffeine abuse is also mentioned...guess my brain isnt going to ever fully heal
Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wow that is fascinating about your sister LaFemme

Found some less enhanced images here, although still the same guy
Are you wrecking your brain? Chilling pictures reveal shocking effects of alcohol, cigarettes and even caffeine on the mind | Mail Online

Yes the brain is an amazing thing. This has inspired me to start researching the effects that drinking has on it as that's something that is really going to help me in moments of weakness. If anyone has anything along those lines send it along. I also know I am suffering with some side effects and this post here:
PAWS « Digital Dharma
that someone put up on the other forum sums it up nicely, especially the memory side of things. Also struggle to write some of these posts, takes way longer than it should to try and express what I want to say
Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Oh dang...just realized caffeine abuse is also mentioned...guess my brain isnt going to ever fully heal
I had to liven the mood a little with some satire. :-)

That said, I have been drinking coffee since I was 12 years old at least, and espresso since shortly thereafter. I am doomed. :-)

It is known that if someone keeps smoking after they quit heavy drinking, it takes much longer to "bounce back," and that smoking alone will accelerate the onset of Alzheimer's and dementia.

If alcohol and cigarettes can destroy cells, tissues, and entire organs, it is certainly logical to assume that the brain suffers as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I quit my pack a day cigarette habit five years ago. I'm now 96 days free of alcohol on the way to the rest of my life. I quit smoking pot a month before I quit alcohol. I have even eliminated high fructose corn syrup, refined sugar and processed wheat from my diet. But you will have to pry the Starbucks from cold, dead hands.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

haha yes there is only so far we can go, well done AnthonyV, awesome!
I quit smoking about 8 years ago, sometimes 2 packs a day if I was going out, yuck, I don't know how I did that now.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I am glad I quit my pack a day on the day I quit my 2 liters a day! I gave up the high fructose corn syrup ages ago...but touch my coffee and chocolate crossaint and you are a dead man!

It baffles me how many people believe alcohol is good for you. Its poison, if you think different see how much straight grain you can drink. It only makes sense that it would mess with your mind.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great article I would be interested to see what mine looked like after 12 years of heavy pot smoking with 3 of heavy drinking on top and the odd snort of speed etc. Thankfully it should be looking alot better these days, 'cept for the caffeine and tobacco. Gonna ditch the tobacco soon methinks.
I agree, don't mess with my coffee
Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

only cause I dont like bad information, that is a bit of a biased source, its a for profit clinic that promotes health/soul/religion connections

Science-Based Medicine » SPECT Scans at the Amen Clinic – A New Phrenology?

"The Amen Clinic’s informed consent form is misleading: it does not divulge that the American Psychiatric Association has spoken out against SPECT scanning for these purposes and has warned of potential harm – especially to children, who are more susceptible to the effects of radiation"

If the APA actually speaks out against a methodology that says something significant and it isn't good for the method.