Notices

Tried AA again and failed

Old 08-22-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sorry that NIAAA Link didn't work for ya...

I just clicked on that Link in both my Post #9, and in your quoted section of my Post in your Post #20. Both worked, so some other Techno Issue must be going on. I use Google exclusively, FWIW.

Good ole Thomas Edison tried over 6,000 Materials when trying to come up with a Light Bulb Filament that would work over time. Trivia we Geeks know. I've read here the gist of your opening Post many, many times. A familiar Story to some portion of the Population pushing through Recovery. How small or large that segment of the Population here is doesn't concern me.

As with Edison, you now know what doesn't work for you. That's progress, although not necessarily cheerful progress. Other rigorous NIAAA Research concludes that some ~70% of those getting Sober do so without any formal Program. Hold that thought! It's factual, robust Research. Ain't gonna debate that truism either.

Your 2 Years of progress is quite laudable, and I trust it gives you something to build on toward what is going to have to be a Personalized Program; given the scarcity you report of what's nearby.

I'm a Techno Dude in Early Retirement. So, SR being available on my Phone while in line at the Store, or just chillin' somewhere was my kinda Support. More Folks and POVs here that could ever fit in any Meeting Room. The various POVs in this Thread alone validate this observation. In my Universe, truly Recovered Folks unreservedly accept Recovery Methods that differ - even radically - from their own. Why wouldn't they?

As Boleo wisely mentions, many of my supportive Interactions were at - wait for it - the local Dog Park. Just as his were 'elsewhere'. In just BSing with Folks, I'd find out they moved back to Boulder CO to help a Son/Daughter sober up, as they had themselves several Decades ago. And, so on. This led to me realizing I wanted to hang with those already Sober long-term, and getting on with Life. There's a Boat-load of such Recovered [not still 'Recovering'] Folks out there for me to learn various finesse Strategies from. This sizable Population is embedded in the NIAAA Recovery percentage I cite above. That NIAAA Website is a Treasure Trove of non-dogmatic Research, IMO. Our Tax Dollars at work, so to speak, from the NIH...

I hope you can cross paths with similar Folks, and - as Boleo advises - hit your Recovery stride w/o dissonant Stress.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks. I found some related reading and then the wacky article I posted above. Bottom line is AA seems to work as well as CBT or motivational interviewing or nothing at all.

I'm actually doing really well, but I do get hung up with this AA thing in a bit of a cycle. I don't think about it for days or weeks, and then... This time I just happened to be in the city and had an hour. I had never been to a speaker meeting, so I thought I'd check it out. The speaker didn't show and the host became the speaker and it was just sad and miserable all around. I guess I want to feel good enough about AA to recommend it to people, but I'm not comfortable at this point suggesting it even to people of faith. It's really not the Higher Power thing that gets me stuck. It's hard to explain, and when I try I just get attacked, so I suppose I gave it my last try. I obviously don't need it, and it just frustrates me, so what's the point? I'm on a successful DIY path, and you're right about finding like-minded people elsewhere.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Genuinely glad to hear of your progress! Rinse & Repeat what you're doing, eh?

Your 'Stress Event' brings an ancient Joke to Mind; I kinda-recall it's from Henny Youngman:

Patient, raising his Arm above his Head to show his Doctor why he's made an Appointment: 'Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do that'!

Doctor: 'OK, so don't do that'!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Does AA keep me sober? I truly don't think so but, it is extra sober insurance for me. That's all that I need to know so as to keep me in the rooms of AA. I will go to any lengths to stay sober. Even if AA is not the best fit, it still might be a fit?
MB
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

MesaMan - simply loved your share about Edison and such. Thank You!!!
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What I always find so strange about this discussion which has been beat into a bloody pulp more times than I can count is the anger at AA. AAers at least on SR have as far as I know never attacked other programs of recovery. I suppose some have aright to be angry if they are court ordered but that anger would be better placed at the court.

It is so simple. If you don't like AA don't go but keep in Mind that 60,000 to 80,000 people showed up to the last convention on their own dime so it seems to be working for more than few
Old 08-22-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
waking down

No anger here. More like concern. Anyway, I've been told to knock it off, so... Good night.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Today a post had to be removed for linking to a very-anti AA site in a section of SR that is for POSITIVE experiences for secular peeps to share what works for them in AA.

so out is coming my rusty lock. I want everyone here to feel they have a safe place to discuss secular viewpoints in a 12 step program. Only speaking for me, this is an important place for me to share.