Notices

Atheist/Agnostic AA groups, how do they work?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Rockin 'n' rollin' everyday

I talked with an AA who is also an atheist with ~ 38 years. He believes there is more religious expressions and more structure to general AA meetings than the used to be. He attributes it to more people coming to AA from the treatment centers.

I don't know about that. I have about half that time...I did not come into the program from a treatment center. But I have been sober since my first meeting...I do not/cannot have another drink.

I am still comfortable with the AA program. When people get religious or too spiritual for my liking, I state that the AA Preamble.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

Opening and closing statements

Opening Statement

Welcome to the [AA group meeting Name] meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. My name is [your name] and I’m an alcoholic.
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

This group of A.A. attempts to maintain a tradition of free expression, and conduct a meeting where alcoholics may feel free to express any doubts or disbeliefs they may have, and to share their own personal form of spiritual experience, their search for it, or their rejection of it. We do not endorse or oppose any form of religion or atheism. Our only wish is to assure suffering alcoholics that they can find sobriety in A.A. without having to accept anyone else's beliefs or having to deny their own.

Closing Statement

In closing, I would like to quote Bill Wilson from his book Alcoholics Anonymous
Comes of Age:
Who first suggested the actual compromise words I do not know, but they are words well-known throughout the length and breadth of AA today: In Step Two we decided to describe God as a "Power greater than ourselves." In Steps Three and Eleven we inserted the words "God as we understood him." From Step Seven we deleted the expression "on our knees." And, as a lead-in sentence to all the steps we wrote the words: "Here are the steps we took which are suggested as a Program of Recovery." AA's Twelve Steps were to be suggestions only.
Such were the final concessions to those of little or no faith; this was the great contribution of our atheists and agnostics. They had widened our gateway so that all who suffer might pass through, regardless of their belief or lack of belief.

[Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age
New York: Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, 1957, p. 167]
Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What a great post - I wish there was an agnostic/atheist group around my part of the country. London is a bit far, I'm afraid...

It is really interesting to read the format of the meetings, and I look forward to the chance to attend one. Keep it comin!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Indianapolis Area Atheist & Agnostic Meeting

I'm happy to announce the formation of a meeting in the Indianapolis, IN area specifically designed to serve atheists, agnostics, free thinkers, humanists, rationalists...

A weekly Open Meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous
designed to serve those of us who have doubts
about - or no belief in - a supernatural higher power.

In this group, we don’t consider any part of our literature infallible or sacrosanct,
and we recognize the historic and cultural context in which AA initially developed.
We are grateful for those founders and their passionate dedication to helping other
alcoholics achieve sobriety. We simply prefer to focus on the tangible, measurable
actions and attitudes in the steps and how we can implement them into our lives 
in order to achieve and maintain our individual sobriety.

Thursday Nights, 6:30PM - 7:30PM
The Big Room Upstairs @ The Carvel Club
4627 Carvel Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46205-2022
Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There's an Agnostic AA meeting a mere block from my apartment. I go occasionally, but I don't really like the vibe of the meeting. It is a small meeting and there always long awkward silence. I wish I could make it a more comfortable meeting, but I guess I could also just accept it for what it is...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of going to the Agnostic AA meeting in Hollywood tonight. Anyone from here going to be there?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Human

Originally Posted by carlri View Post
I'm thinking of going to the Agnostic AA meeting in Hollywood tonight. Anyone from here going to be there?
Hollywood, CA? Yes, I am usually there, everyone knows me. It is on Sunset at Alexandria in the Hospital bldg.

That "We Agnostic" meeting has been there for 25 years. We read apendix 2 only and then the promises at the end, and then the prayer "When anyone anywhere reaches out for help. I want the hand of AA to be there."
That meeting is an official AA meeting.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Just substitute dog and higher purpose for "God" and spirituality with healthy maintenance of neuro receptors. Regular AA can work just as well for us athiests and agnostics even when we overly obssessive concerning semantics.

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 04-30-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Edit needed
Old 04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

cool..sounds like you two may meet F2F...let us know how it goes guys
Old 04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by carlri View Post
Darn it. I lived in Ventura County all my life til 7 years ago. I would have definitly met you there!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Arggggh I'm jealous! I want to go.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
Arggggh I'm jealous! I want to go.

time for a tenth step darrrrrrlllllin!

(random smiley...just cause i can (grin))
Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnclavin View Post
Hollywood, CA? Yes, I am usually there, everyone knows me. It is on Sunset at Alexandria in the Hospital bldg.

That "We Agnostic" meeting has been there for 25 years. We read apendix 2 only and then the promises at the end, and then the prayer "When anyone anywhere reaches out for help. I want the hand of AA to be there."
That meeting is an official AA meeting.
Cool. See you there!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Darn it. I lived in Ventura County all my life til 7 years ago. I would have definitly met you there!
It's probably quicker to get from Maryland to Hollywood on a Friday night.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Cool that you two are able to meet! Hope it was fun!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Well, do tell - Did you two fall in love? :-)
Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Human

Well, do tell - Did you two fall in love? :-)
Carl and I met at the meeting and had a high spirited dicussion afterwords. I wish you all could have been there.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It was a very interesting meeting, and it was so great to not have to worry about the G word. It was less about talking about atheism, but just a regular meeting without the overhead. :-)
Old 05-01-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I would have liked to have gone. I wouldn't have been a regular meeting because you guys would have been there. ;-)

How many people were there, I'm curious?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Human

How many people were there, I'm curious?
Egad! I just realized that I wrote afterwords instead of afterward. I have been watching too much "Book TV"

I would say maybe 25 people. I guess I should have counted. Like Carl said alot of people just share about what is happening in their life. But for me to have a meeting where you can talk about alternative philosophies of sobriety is a very cool situation. It helps me put the other meetings in perspective.