Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Recovery and Pain Management
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Gabapentin/Neurontin for opiate withdrawals?

I'm getting ready to jump off from my 10 day taper and I'm wondering if anyone here has used gabapentin to help ameliorate the symptoms of opiate withdrawal, particularly the RLS. I have a script of it that I was prescribed for my sciatica, but don't use (because it makes me pass out). That said, I have child care coverage, so passing out isn't a terrible thing during withdrawal, and I suspect that it may help for RLS as well. Anyone?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Starting over

Hello goingtokicksoon

We don't have any medical personnel here, so we cannot give you any medical advice. If you are concerned with any medical issues from the taper I would strongly recommend you see a physician with a background in pain management. Otherwise you are just placing your health in the hands of rumors, stuff overhead from other people, bad guesses and plain mistakes. Taking meds without knowing how they will interact, or cause side effects, can really mess you up.

Something is clearly off if Gaba makes you pass out. It is _not_ supposed to do that. I take another med in the same "family" called Trileptal and passing out is _not_ what any of those types of meds are supposed to do.

So, can't give you advice, all I can say is that I would not even think of doing that.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesertEyes For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-01-2012), sobersonja (02-16-2013)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have an appointment with the PM doc tomorrow. I've gathered all of my supplements and OTC meds, creams, etc. Now I just need to get a script for a couple of things from the doc. I probably will not touch the neurontin. My wife said I would have died in a fire that night had there been one, and that's only on my first dose of 300 mg. You are right. The same reason I called my doc and said "I'll never take that again" is precisely why I should not take it again, even for WDs. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

At 20 mg in the taper now. The 9th rather than the 7th will be my jump date. My wife couldn't get the 7th off like she said and my mother in law works on Tuesday. I'd hate to have to watch my 11 month old alone on my first day of detox. Sounds dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to goingtokicksoon For This Useful Post:
35CallsADay (04-29-2013)
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Starting over

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtokicksoon View Post
.... I'd hate to have to watch my 11 month old alone on my first day of detox. Sounds dangerous.
May I respectfully suggest that perhaps you can push your first day of detox forward by one day? If _you_ think it sounds dangerous, then I think you know more than anybody else about your own responses to chemicals and I would completely respect your conclusion.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertEyes For This Useful Post:
goingtokicksoon (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

While I have coverage on the 8th, it will be difficult to explain to my mother-in-law why she has to do everything. My wife will handle ALL the childcare on the 9th and 10th, and this will give my symptoms time to kick in. That way, we can pass it off as a bad stomach flu to my in-laws (who are definitely too judgmental to tell). Its all planned around whats best for my little guy. Thanks for the (respectful) suggestion though.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Think I misunderstood your post. I never intended to start my detox on the day I have to watch my kid by myself (Tues, 2/7). That's why my wife and I agreed to push it back to Thurs., 2/9, since we also agree that we don't want my first detox day to be a day when she is not here, i.e. Wed. 2/8. Again, its all about the responsibility of fatherhood at this point, one of the many reasons I'm motivated to do anything against my generally self-destructive nature. Never knew it, but parenting seriously changed my outlook on life.
The Following User Says Thank You to goingtokicksoon For This Useful Post:
tgif (02-10-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Starting over

I understand it now, sorry for my misunderstanding, I got your plans and dates confused.

In any case, good luck with your taper, sounds like you are being careful and that you will make it through without too much pain.

Mike
goingtokicksoon (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you. Just saw my PM doctor today and he was thrilled about the injection working and my desire to get off of the oxy. He gave me Zanaflex to help me through the tough times and to drop my blood pressure. No benzos. No clonidine. But, he did approve medical cannab!s use on the condition that I step off on my planned date and even agreed that certain types would aid my battle with anxiety, sleep and nausea (and I only eat this medicine by the way). This particular PM doc makes his patients chose either this option or opiates (and enforces this choice by random drug testing).

Has anyone taken Zanaflex for opiate withdrawal? If so, did it help?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm thinking that there are laws that cover his @ss with regard to the use of either, but he would be on very tricky legal ground if he approved both therapies at once.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Still stepping off on February 9. Currently down to 15 mg a day. Doctor reapproved use of medical cannab!s and gave me something called Zanaflex for the withdrawals and to pull down my blood pressure a bit. Even at 15 mg of oxy a day, I'm starting to get digestive tract related withdrawal symptoms. Can't imagine what is coming on Thursday when I go off completely.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Seriously........no ******* joke.....real ****.........Neurontin(gabapentin) is seriously a life saver when it comes to opiate withdrawal......ITS THE BEST!!! No withdrawl symptoms....none.....and that's coming from someone who does more opiates than just about anyone. If anyone tells you otherwise they are full of ****. Anyone thinking of kicking opiates should get a scrip for neurontin first and take at least 2400mgs a dayat first....depending on how big your habit is of course.......me...I was shooting 2 grams a day of heroin and I started at 7200mgs a day for 3 days then tapered down to 3000 mgs and I swear on everything I had zero withdrawal symptoms other than maybe some minor anxiety for 6 or 7 hours. Also, I do dtill sneeze a lot but ill take that any day over what I would normally feel. Just trying to help people....inothing worse than kicking and I found the cure. It works! Yep....it does!
The Following User Says Thank You to whatevsies For This Useful Post:
hollydawn72 (07-18-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

I just wanted to add that while it is true right after I take a lot of neurontin I do want to go to sleepafter about 4 hours you get tons of energy. I hope you try it again....maybe a higher dose?its just an amino acid its not going to hurt you....good luck man.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

I haven't taken Neurontin yet, but its there should I need it, particularly for sleep since it makes me pass out. Currently, I'm using Zanaflex to help manage the WDs. Day 2 has almost come to an end and thankfully, it hasn't been so terrible, probably because I've been tapering for 2 weeks.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

why not make it easy as hell for yourself annd take some damn nuerontin? If nothing else take it before bedtime and get yourself some anxiety free sleep? Hate to see a fellow coloradan suffer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whatevsies For This Useful Post:
goingtokicksoon (02-10-2012), hollydawn72 (07-18-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Starting over

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevsies View Post
why not make it easy as hell for yourself annd take some damn nuerontin? If nothing else take it before bedtime and get yourself some anxiety free sleep? Hate to see a fellow coloradan suffer.
Dude? Are you a doctor? Have you any idea what other medical conditions this man may have? Do you know the interactions with other medications? The man _has_ a doctor, and if you would bother to read his posts it's a _good_ doc.

If you _are_ a physician, and you are giving advice over the internet, I will ask you for your license number, and what state you are authorized to practice in.

If you would also bother to read our guidelines you would see that we do not allow advice, for the simple reason that we are not so arrogant as to believe that we can diagnose thru a computer screen.

If you wish to contribute the follow the guidelines and just give your personal experience. No advice.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
goingtokicksoon (02-11-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

opiate withdrawl

Ok im new to this but I have to share my experience. I've been on heavy doses of oxy. And I run short alot of months. I have endured withdrawals numerous times and im sure I was in hell. This time I knew I was at my last pills with a week to go. I took a gamble and took some neurontin that id had for months and never took. I started taking it two days before I ran out of my pain meds. And it was miraculous!!!!! Not one withdrawal symptom!!!! My head is clear I have only slight lower back paid.. no cold sweats, restless legs, nightmares! Nothing but clear normalcy!! I took 6- 300 mg. Daily and two more at night. I promise this will cure u... they are non narcotic and pretty easy to get.so please please ask ur dr. For these for nerve pain and u will never suffer another opiate withdrawal again.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevsies View Post
Seriously........no ******* joke.....real ****.........Neurontin(gabapentin) is seriously a life saver when it comes to opiate withdrawal......ITS THE BEST!!! No withdrawl symptoms....none.....and that's coming from someone who does more opiates than just about anyone. If anyone tells you otherwise they are full of ****. Anyone thinking of kicking opiates should get a scrip for neurontin first and take at least 2400mgs a dayat first....depending on how big your habit is of course.......me...I was shooting 2 grams a day of heroin and I started at 7200mgs a day for 3 days then tapered down to 3000 mgs and I swear on everything I had zero withdrawal symptoms other than maybe some minor anxiety for 6 or 7 hours. Also, I do dtill sneeze a lot but ill take that any day over what I would normally feel. Just trying to help people....inothing worse than kicking and I found the cure. It works! Yep....it does!
Hey, I have been on heroin since I was 14, (I am 35 now) . I was prescribed gabapentin for my slipped disc in my back. It didn't work as a pain killer . But for withdrawals, it has been amazing. I tapered down to one bag a day then took about 1200mg. I have had no wd at all and have been feeling really good . It is a miracle cure in my opinion . It really works. The hard part is staying away from the gear because it's every where in London . Cheers

Tags
neurontin, oxycodone withdrawals