Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Nicotine/Smoking
Reload this Page >

Help me beat this! After almost a year I WANT A SMOKE!

Notices

Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know what it is about a good smoke, but I can not kick this ugly, nasty, disgusting habit...

I just recently gave birth, and as soon as I found out I was pg. I quit cold turkey, and NEVER looked back. Now that my son is getting a bit older, I have this unbeleiveable craving to smoke... I REALLY REALLY want a smoke!

I know I don't really want a smoke, because I DO NOT want to smoke again.. I have been clean for almost a year, why in the wrold would I want to smoke again?

How can I NOT give in to this?

Help me...
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alconaut

Hi 2muchlove.

Try as hard as you can to stop your thoughts in their tracks, and write down what you're going through. Ask yourself why. Identify and isolate that trigger.

You said you quit when you were pregnant, so it sounds as if you didn't do it just for you.

Remember the effects of second-hand cigarette smoke on children. They grow up to have a higher risk of lung cancer, asthma etc., than with parents who are non-smokers.

Read some of the stickies at the top of this forum. Also, check out the thread Midas posted about not being convinced.

Hope this helps....
Old 11-22-2005, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Originally Posted by 2muchlove
Now that my son is getting a bit older, I have this unbeleiveable craving to smoke...
How can I NOT give in to this? Help me...
Try thinking about your son smoking his first cigarette, just like his Mom and Dad do, that he got from his Mom's pack, when she wasn't looking.

That's where I got mine! Sorry if this seems harsh, but...
Old 11-22-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

2 Much- Hey- I Too Quit Right When I Found Out I Was Pregnant- Then My Son Turned 3 Months And I Put Him With My Mother And Went Out- And Began Smoking Again- Bad Bad Decision- See When You're Pregnant For Most People Smoking Makes Them Feel Sick To Thier Stomachs- In Other Words: Easier To Quit...... Try To Remember That It's Very Hard To Go Through.... Why Go Backwards? It Is Easier To Let A Craving Pass- It Will Pass- Than To Start Quitting All Over Again... Pick The Easier Road, Your Baby Needs U.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Daughter/sister/widow/lover

Try drinking lots of water with lemon in it - there is something about the lemon that helps kill the craving.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

I *think* maybe it's the way you are thinking ABOUT cigarettes might be contributing to your strong craving.
Look at your first sentence.
I don't know what it is about a good smoke...,
What *is* a "good smoke?"

... but I can not kick this ugly, nasty, disgusting habit...
Now that's more like the reality of smoking.

But, do you see how the first part of your sentence is opposite of the second?
The first -- a smoke -- is good
The second -- the habbit -- is ugly, nasty, disgusting.

Well the habbit comes FROM the smoke. So, isn't the smoke, then, ugly, nasty and disgusting too?

Just a thought here. The way we use the language tells us a lot about how we perceive something. Our affect is manipulated by language. And it's our feelings that lead to our behaviors. Choose words carefully when dealing with this poison. I need to keep it in a negative light, else I'll be drawn back in by it's allure.

Shalom!