Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Nicotine/Smoking
Reload this Page >

Break Loose! A Pack Of Facts To Help You Stop Smoking

Notices

Old 11-19-2005, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/smoking/smoke.htm

Thanks Midas!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Great information there. Thanks for sharing!
Oh, and Margo, your signature line sure is appropriate for smoke cessation, huh?

Shalom!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drink coffee standing up? I never thought of that. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Finding the Light! 10/13/09

Thanks for posting. Interesting. I printed for better reading. I'm going to try here sooner or later.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

WTF to drinking coffee standing up? Does it replicate
a nicotine buzz? JK. Day 4 no smoke. Feel edgy. Gums sore. Feel as if I'm having an out of body experience. Anyone else?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dana Point, California

I'm quitting on January 2, 2011 with a couple of friends. Much needed health change.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm new to this but I have decided to quit smoking. I have been smoking for about 15yrs now and I really wanted to stop so a friend gave me chantex. I have been taking it for about 2wks now and I haven't quit yet but I have cut back a lot. I went from one pack to about 5 cigs a day. But i was wondering if drinking coffee standing up really helps or is that just a bunch of bull?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This information as well as Nicotine Anonymous meetings have helped me stay free from Nicotine for over 2 and 1/2 years!

• Quit cold turkey. In the long run it’s the easiest and most effective technique of smoking cessation.
  • Do not carry cigarettes.
  • Quit smoking one day at a time. Do not concern yourself with next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow. Concentrate on not smoking from the time you wake up until you go to sleep.
  • Work on developing the attitude that you are doing yourself a favor by not smoking. Do not dwell on the idea that you are depriving yourself of a cigarette. You are ridding yourself of full-fledged smoking because you care enough about yourself to want to.
  • Be proud that you are not smoking.
  • Be aware that many routine situations will trigger the urge for a cigarette. Situations which will trigger a response include: drinking coffee, alcohol, sitting in a bar, social events with smoking friends, card games, the end of meals. Try to maintain your normal routine while quitting. If any event seems too tough, leave it and go back to it later. Do not feel you must give up any activity forever. Everything you did as a smoker, you will learn to do at least as well, and maybe better, as an ex-smoker.
  • Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit smoking. Keep this list with you, preferably where you used to carry your cigarettes. When you find yourself reaching for a cigarette, take out your list and read it.
  • Drink plenty of fruit juice the first three days. It will help flush nicotine out of your system.
  • To help avoid weight gain, eat vegetables and fruit instead of candies and pastries. Celery and carrots can be used safely as short-term substitutes for cigarettes.
  • If you are concerned about weight gain, do some moderate form of regular exercise. If you have not been exercising regularly, consult your physician for a practical exercise program which is safe for you.
  • If you encounter a crisis, (e.g. a flat tire, flood, blizzard, family illness) while quitting, remember, smoking is no solution. Smoking will just complicate the original situation while creating another crisis, a relapse into the nicotine addiction.
  • Consider yourself a “smoke-a-holic.” One puff and you can become hooked again. No matter how long you have been off, don't think you can safely take a puff!
  • Don't debate with yourself how much you want a cigarette. Ask yourself how do you feel about going back to your old level of consumption. Smoking is an all or nothing proposition.
  • Save the money you usually spend on cigarettes and buy yourself something you really want after a week or a month. Save for a year and you can treat yourself to a vacation.
  • Practice deep breathing exercises when you have a craving.
  • Go places where you normally can't smoke, such as movies, libraries and no smoking sections of restaurants.
  • Tell people around you that you have quit smoking.
  • Remember that there are only two good reasons to take a puff once you quit. You decide you want to go back to your old level of consumption until smoking cripples and then kills you, or, you decide you really enjoy withdrawal and you want to make it last forever. As long as neither of these options appeal to you - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF
This information as well as Nicotine Anonymous meetings have helped me stay free from Nicotine for over 2 and 1/2 years!

Joel's How to Quit Smoking Library
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Joel Spitzer - WhyQuit

I also highly recommend Joel Spitzer's information on smoking/nicotine cessation.

It is the best, 100% free and non-commercial information I found on "educated cold turkey" quitting.

I especially recommend his book, "Never Take Another Puff" - available in Joel's library. There are also video lessons and audio files for download.

WhyQuit

Joel Spitzer's Library
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

so glad i quit smoking... i've been smoking since i was 17 - so 10 yrs with a two year break. i just quit again 5 days ago and im so happy. i started doing yoga as well which helped me immensely not even want to smoke. its time... so important to not smoke the stuff is deadly!!! and you're literally poisoning your body and saying i dont care about you! self love, in a deep form really helps i think. yoga is teaching me that.

had a few classes where i just cried because of the true joy i experienced by realizing how incredible my body is and how blessed i am to be healthy. cherish that, and smoking will feel so stupid you wont even consider it ever again!

throat is killing me though.... arg.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for this great list!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OK I joined this today and tomorrow is my quit day. One day at a time and I think this chat thingy could help.

thank you
Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would just like to know who put the NYC stop smoking pamphlet together as its full of outright disinformation.

If you want folks to stop be truthful and stop pushing lies all it does is destroy the movement.

Smokers lungs are just as pink as a non-smokers lungs as it takes carbon to induce black lungs. Tobacco smoke doesn't contain carbon particles.

Ive researched nearly all of the claims and the only one that holds water is the lowered birth weights in smoking women yet those babies are just as viable as any non-smoking mothers baby is.

Even with the claim of LUNG CANCER while smokers have a higher rate of LC 98% of life long smokers don't get LC. To date not a single claim of a smoking disease have we ever proven to end point connections to a disease outcome.

Everything we have is based upon statistical sampling and its been shown to be so biased in its research lawyers and judges both rip them to shreds while we try and use them to prove individual causation which just isn't possible.

We have tossed together 60 years and more of what the opposition calls Junk Science and after reading the studies they may very well be correct.

60 years of anti-smoking up in smoke and none of it was questioned by anyone until we moved into criminalization and we had smoking rates dropping like flies until we moved into legislation.

I only recently discovered that we had an anti-smoking movement back in the early 1900s with smoking bans and all those laws were repealed by 1920!

Truly its time we changed course and tossed aside the fanatic anti-smoking people and began anew with more compassion and an educational movement that doesn't make us the most hated group of advocates in the world. This movement has been destroyed from within just as it was last time fanatics got the helm.