Notices

24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club - Part 12

Old 06-07-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

In for another 24!

A few rough patches yesterday. My body wanted to keep going out on the front porch where I smoke.

One of the most helpful tools has been urge surfing. Remembering that a craving will not and does not last forever. That this very moment right now might suck but it will pass.

So far I have to also attribute my success to changing up my signature line (in my mind) from alcohol to smoking. There were a few eek situations yesterday at work where I would have said to myself "ok, go out and have a smoke and mellow out, then come back in fresh minded and do it". Since I've committed to the fact there's no plausible reason to smoke I won't do it. Then, the craving passes.

Today at around 11:30 am it will be two full days. I am already feeling a huge difference. HUGE.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

and another 24
Old 06-09-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

and another 24
Old 06-09-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hey, where did you guys all go? I'm hoping for some daily support here.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

and...........................another 24
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

I didn't come here since almost a month.
It's so dead normally but I see you are posting every day since a week LadyBlue0527!
You are doing this, superb move!

I hope you're still hanging on!
(probably yes since you came here today..)

You are in the worst part of that fight.
Good news : cravings will start to slow down drastically in the coming days.

From there you have to use the same tools you have used to quit drinking,
- Watch the HALTS
- Don't let the AV trick you out - it will attack you many many times a day but will shut up very fast if you say NO
- Do your things in slightly different patterns that you use to do them as a smoker. Find new ones!

I salute your determination LadyBlue
I'll come back to see how you are doing
Old 06-11-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi CK, thanks for posting. Thanks for the lifeline of some info on expectations of when this will start to become easier. My last cigarette was last Monday at around 11:30 am. I've read lots of things on the net and many sites contradict each other.

I'm determined but it's nice to know that some relief is coming.

Worst times seems to be coffee in the morning, after a meal, and at work when I am switching tasks. The latter is probably because when I complete a task that takes a few hours the mindset is to take a quick smoke break before starting the next.

Plus side - my skin is looking different, lines seem to be fading. I'm also seeing color in my face instead of the pale, grayish look. I also fall asleep a lot faster. I feel better too.

So, in for another 24 hours. Who am I kidding? I'm here for good. It's just nice to hear that it's going to start getting better and stop being such a nail biter!

Thank you
Old 06-11-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, Ladyblue. I quit on Wednesday at 6:00pm. I just couldn't take it anymore. My sinuses are jammed up and I can't get much air thru my nose. I am not having cravings because I feel sick but, I smoked out of boredom. Much like drinking. I would get lonely and look for my friend in a bottle and a smoke. I just want to get healthy again. Hope we can support eachother!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Lady B/ Chloe here's me keep trying to put the ciggies down and giving up looking for some friendship and support.

Fancy breathing a bit of life into this forum again and being there for each other?
Old 06-11-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hang on paulokes!

I'm happy to see you ChloeRose, my december classmate!
Nice decision you took of not smoking anymore!

LadyBlue, you could change your coffee recipe just a little bit.
Maybe less sugar or more cream...anything to make it taste different.
It helped me to have it almost black since I've quit smoking.

My little 2 cents advice of the day for you guys :
Take note of the pattern when you are under a craving attack to see it coming next time.
You'll be able to say "there won't be a cigarette with (name the event)"

For me the worst cravings was getting in my car after lets say shopping.
My AV was going crazy requesting a cigarette like there was no tomorrow. It was very painful : /
Now I've learned to say to myself, at about 15 feet from getting in my car, "There won't be a cigarette when I'll get in"
It's like magic : no more cravings or almost nothing

Have a good 24!
We can make it
Old 06-11-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

YES! I love it! Reinforcements

Chloe, part of why I quit was I came down with a cold. It had been years since I had one and I am rarely sick. It scared me, I felt claustrophobic. It was like my lungs filled up and no amount of coughing was bringing anything up. On top of that it felt like someone poured cement into my sinuses. I couldn't breathe! One of the scariest things I've ever experienced. Here's the insanity though, I took a break at work and went outside. I was trying to take small hits off the cigarette so I wouldn't start coughing. Sure, what happened is I had a coughing fit so bad I had to grab on and wrap my arms around myself because it felt like I cracked a rib. That was it, when I said, this is ENOUGH! This is INSANE!

I'm glad you're here along with paul and CK. Together we can battle this! It will only be one week tomorrow and although there's a few times I wanted to pull my hair out the difference in how I feel is enough to know I made a very good move.

We can do this! There is strength in numbers.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Ha! So...last cigarette for me about 3 hours ago. That's it...I am done. Off to sleep now when I wake up I will throw the rest of the pack and I am off away with work for a week...all of the people I'll be with are non smokers and I'm not supposed to smoke at work anyway so feels like a great time to put my foot down.

This time I am going cold turkey because...well to hell with nicotine that's why

Not only do I hate most of the cigarettes I smoke but I think it's definitely having a physical effect now I don't want it to have. Lots of nerve problems and at the grand old age of 39 things...ahem...downstairs aren't working as they should be. Enough is enough time to stop killing myself.

See you in the morning folks and well done

P
Old 06-11-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I have got to get in control of my thoughts! I let those damn addictions (first alcohol and then cigs) run my life. The habit is now broken. There was another post somewhere that said they went running or walking instead of smoking. I am determined to get active instead of sitting on my a** puffing on a cig which only made me lazy! It was 'something to do'! What a lame excuse for puffing my life away!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
I am so committed to getting my mind and body back in shape. I will succeed...we will succeed because together we are strong!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Ha! I have been on a similar kick this week. Pushup situps and running. Let's get these lungs back in shape!

But first and foremost...I will not smoke today. Quit the booze 8 years ago and that resolution is at the centre of my life. From today, so is this one.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Love it!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So far the biggest tip I can give is remembering that cravings don't last forever. It might seem that way when you're in the moment but they really don't. Today makes a full week and I can already see that the intensity and frequency are less.

Good going everyone!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning! Replaced the am cigarette with 15 minutes on the elliptical exercise machine just like I said I would. Now to keep my mind determined and positive. Sometimes my thoughts when left unchecked can be distructive. I will succeed!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Great job everyone with your recent quit smoking dates - it is amazing how quickly the hours, days, weeks start adding up!

I'm at 9 weeks, 5 days today. I quit because I (unexpectedly) had my gall bladder removed and then spent about 5 days staying at my daughters - she REALLY wanted me to quit.

I have to admit, the cravings are very small now and go away very quickly. BUT . . . I gotta remember I'm a non-smoker now. I don't like it, I don't want it and I won't do it!

Good luck ChloeRose, LadyBlue, Canadian Koala and paulokes - keep up the GREAT work.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by JMFburns View Post
. . I gotta remember I'm a non-smoker now. I don't like it, I don't want it and I won't do it!

Good luck ChloeRose, LadyBlue, Canadian Koala and paulokes - keep up the GREAT work.
Thanks for the 'mantra' and the support, JMFburns!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Good going Chloe!

Thanks for the pep talk JMFburns