Notices

Has anyone tried E cigs

Old 06-27-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone tried E cigs

Has anyone tried E cigs? Help anyone stop smoking? I have heard they can be dangerous a few cases of the blowing up in peoples faces causing serious injuries.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

I switched from combustible tobacco to vaping a few years ago and have definitely enjoyed the harm reduction and the whole vaping experience.
There is a really good thread just below that is worth a perusal, lots of good info and links to a rational look at vaping you should take a look to decide for yourself , but my vote is "vape on" , either way I hope you quit smoking
Old 07-04-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Hope to see you in the vape thread here. My doctor turned me onto vaping. He knew I wanted to quit but the patch or gum wasn't cutting it. He's a big fan having seen me and many other patients finally able to quit once and for all when nothing else worked.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a former smoker, quit for 8 years then relapsed a couple of years ago. I experimented for a while with ecigs, and eventually replaced cigarettes with them.

They are mainly a replacement for cigarettes, not a cessation aid. You will still be addicted to nicotine, just in a different form. Some people do find them useful for quitting.

From my experience, I will say this. Don't go for a cheap model. The tiny ones that look like cigarettes are pretty much useless, as are any of the ones you're likely to find in a supermarket, gas station or grocery store. It's very tempting to say to yourself "this might not work, so I don't want to waste too much money on it to start with." However, if you start with something cheap it's very likely you'll not find it useful and you'll go back to tobacco.

Everyone I know that's completely replaced tobacco with ecigarettes (myself included) has only found successs with the more powerful devices. In short, you want to find a local vapouriser shop near you (use Google) and say you're looking for a box mod and a tank with a sub ohm atomiser (sounds like gobledegook, I know, but those are the silly names these things have!) If there isn't a store near you, find an online store.

The upfront cost is fairly high compared to a box of cigarettes, but it works out much cheaper after a fairly short time compared to the cost of tobacco.

Regarding safety, bear in mind that tobacco is very dangerous, even if it doesn't kill you, it will cause health problems. A UK government report said that e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmfull than tobacco.

With regards to them blowing up in your face, they can do that but it is very rare. Because e-cigareetes are fairly new, the news media reports them often. I'd venture to say it's less likely to happen than getting hit by a car on the way to the store to buy cgarettes!

It's the batteries which blow up. This is common with all batteries that use litium ion batteries. Mobile phones blow up, laptop computers and tablets blow up for the same reason.

To minimise risk, don't ever store the batteries a pocket or bag (this is by far the most common cause of injuries, the batteries being incorrectly handled, they can short-circuit if they make contact with metal, water or anything else conductive). If your device starts to get hotter than usual when using it then stop and buy new batteries. Don't use any plug in charger except the USB charger that came with it. Really yo should be buying a seperate battery recharger with built in safeguards for over-charging or short circuiting and charge the batteries in that (buy a spare battery so that while one is charging you can use your e-cigarette with the other, so you never have to wait for the battery charging to feed your cravings)

As I say, it's probably not a very good cessation aid; you'll still have to find a way that works for you to quit the nicotine addiction. However I will say they've improved my life immeasurably. Within a month of stopping tobacco smoking I was much healthier and fitter and things continued to improve for a long time after.

Don't quit trying to quit though!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I vape - it's much less smelly than regular cigarettes. Gives you that same "throat hit" without all the tar and coughing. I was skeptical but after I tried it I was sold. Certainly the nicotine factor is going to be there, and we all know the harms there, so be smart. In my opinion it's a better alternative to smoking, but certainly nothing about it is proven "safe". Do your homework. As the poster above said, get a good model. You can order online from many stores, there are often "starter kits" for new folks. I would also say that while I've cut down on my intake, I haven't quit yet. And we all know that quitting is the best option.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My doctor is all for vaping over cigs. It's much safer unless you dry burn (which no one does more than once or twice as its so icky tasting), and so much easier to step down for 24 mg. oils to 18 mg. and keeping going down until you are at 0 mg. For satisfying the hand to mouth, nicotine peaks and valleys, feeling of inhaling and so much more that's there's a big difference between vaping and the other smoking cessation methods. I have no problem staying quit while vaping. I feel the same as if I was smoking with getting my circulation, energy, sense of taste and smell back
Old 02-14-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)