Notices

How did ya stop

Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did ya stop

Smoking my last vice. What works for ya all?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to really say to myself that what I was doing was virtually the same thing as putting a gun to my head. Then I bribed myself with a little something (and a few big things) each day I was smoke free. I might have gone a bit overboard cuz I had put a thousand dollars on my credit card by the time I had gone a month. Now, 5 years later, I have not spent roughly $12,000 on smokes so it was worth it. I got big into smell good stuff. Cologne, hair gel, gum/mints. Do it, it's worth it!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Chad, never been a smoker myself but I pass this on because it was such a resounding success. My MIL tried over and over to give up smoking but eventually relapsed, with plenty of help from her friends.
She's a hairdresser, and I was there when one of her clients told her about Alan Carr's book on stopping. The client was saying it took away the urge to smoke and it's never returned. My DIL tried it and it was like magic. It wasn't just that she stopped smoking, but her whole attitude was transformed from white-knuckling to feeling sorry for smokers. Her ratbag friends would smoke in front of her and she didn't turn a hair. Five years on she's never come close to resuming the habit.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you i put down drink n drug with 12 steps but the smokes still own me and was looking for feedback
Old 11-29-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Chad
Today I have quit smoking too. My last cig was at 7pm last night. I did try before getting to the 3 week stage but then I went on a mad binge one weekend so ruined all my hard work by smoking again. I'll tell you what works for me...
1. Allen Carrs Easyway book
2. At night time I get on you tube, stick my headphones on and fall asleep to some free stop smoking hypnotherapy sessions.
3. I have an android phone (iPhone) so I down loaded all the apps ( Smoke Free, Kwit and quit it are all good). You type in your quit time, how long you been smoking, how many a day etc and it calculates your time, money saved and gives you fun facts when you reach milestones (IE after 24 hours you circulation has improved etc)... This really gives you an incentive. You also get daily missions on some of the apps which is loads of fun.
Good luck on your journey. I'm right by your side
Old 11-30-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA 12 steps and treatment centers for alcohol and drugs. I'm still smoking though and i would love to quit.
i tried many ways but I turn into the devil without nicotine.
They are such a hindrance these days, can't smoke here, can't smoke there.
They kill more Alkies then alcohol does.
when I quit my smoking tripled.
I've vaped, I've patched, I've used gum. Inhalers and even cold turkey which was not a pleasant experience for those around me.
I think it really is the only drug I turn into a wild beast when withdrawing all the rest i turn in to a sick quivering little kitten.. one day i will because I can't damn afford them no more and my lungs are packing in.

Last edited by paddyjnr1; 11-30-2015 at 12:38 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 11-30-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys going have to check the book and apps out which one of the app would be recommending as the most helpful and OMG the kitten and the ragging beast! TRUTH!!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Chad, I smoked for over 25 years - I tried everything. I wore patches like a belt and would still light up. Ecigs - vape - gum - wellbutrin ad nausem. Finally, I went back to the 3rd step with the mental focus on alcohol. I asked God in my morning prayers to relieve me from the bondage of nicotine.

It was a battle for 6-8 weeks, but as we know mostly mental. Finally the obsession was lifted and I am almost 9 months smoke free.

That's how I quit, best of luck
Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I'm in the process of quitting, or have quit I guess. I last smoked a week before Thanksgiving, so about 10-11 days ago.

My health insurance has a quit line and I called them. They sent me a bunch of free gum and I got myself some patches too. They recommended both patch and gum for me.

So far so good I suppose. I haven't smoked since. I find myself being sort of nostalgic towards smoking, much like I had been (and sometimes still am) toward drinking. In that vein, I'm also applying the 12 steps. I'm powerless over my urges, etc.

I didn't really want to quit. I'm still not certain that I do. I know I have to quit for me.

I could ramble on and on. It's been a mental game for me for sure. The gum/patches are taking care of the physical cravings very well.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

I switched nicotine delivery systems over two years ago. I started with cigarette look alike ecigs and moved to tank style devices. My health and wallet have definitely improved. The harm reduction factor is so important that those who want to stop the effects of combustible tobacco should at least look into the technology. I'm anti combustibles , pro vape and nicotine ambivalent. If nothing else switching to vaping allows for healthier way to step down nicotine usage/ levels. If you haven't looked into it, I'd recommend doing so. It's a tastier softer landing , good luck
Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all really you have no idea. I know it boils down to want just like drunk n drug. Thank you👍
Old 12-02-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did the same as dwtbd. After I smoked my last cigarette, I began with 12 milligrams of Nicotine. Today I am at 3. Working towards 0. You might look into it if you have some sobriety under your belt and are really ready to quit.