# 2 (permalink)  
quat

Vape on!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am just amazed that
a) We have a part 2 alread
b) That the mods are obviously keeping an eyes on us. I thought our little corner of SR was well hidden LOL
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice cat pic Carlotta. I use the vape as a very effective cat repellant. Another plus.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just as a party pooper note: keep e-liquid away from (especially) cats, even zero nicotine. PG is quite toxic to them. (I know you were kidding)

More downers: the state of California is launching a campaign against vaping. A campaign that costs ... 75 million dollars. That is a lot of money and it leaves no doubt on how serious they are. Personally I think it's not only a waste of money but also a total attack on harm reduction and people who try to switch to a less harmful alternative. I have no words to convey my disapproval of this... campaign. I think what bothers me most is not so much that they are against harm reduction, but that they are lumping vapers in with big tobacco. Vaping - apart from the cigalikes - is NOT big tobacco, it's small and mid sized (new) businesses, and they are perfectly aware of this (and is easily proven). Whatever your stance, don't use blatant lies to further your agenda.

More upbeat note: visited London with my wife last weekend, and it's amazing how quickly people engage in a conversation when you have your e-cigs out. I solved one waiter's problem with his Subtank, and made another one aware that juices can get a lot better than the usual in-house stuff. He wanted to buy my own brew, but it's not for sale.

Anyway, 500 posts already was a surprise, I thought it was about 100 or so. And yeah, they are watching us
Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Geesh, thought that feeling of being watched would go away by now! Congrats to the new vaper. I'm getting tired of buying 0mg juice-seems like a rip-off paying the same price for less nic-been using my pseudo-dripper more but less often (make sense?) with left-overs. Don't even think I'm addicted to nicotine anymore. Anyhoo, my last purchase was a fuzzy navel by a shop here in town and it was hard to vape at first which was a good thing as I am still reducing but now I kinda like it in the morning (it's a 3mg mix). Had some hard work to do this past week-end and did NOT get winded. Was/am kinda pumped about that. Undecided as to whether I'll join the "No smoking/nicotine" thread next week cuz it's not such a big deal anymore. I still have the wife and MIL to build and mix for so I'm not out of the game yet. Vaping I'm sure extended AND improved my quality of life MEASURABLY. Vape on!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post
Just as a party pooper note: keep e-liquid away from (especially) cats, even zero nicotine. PG is quite toxic to them. (I know you were kidding)

More downers: the state of California is launching a campaign against vaping. A campaign that costs ... 75 million dollars. That is a lot of money and it leaves no doubt on how serious they are. Personally I think it's not only a waste of money but also a total attack on harm reduction and people who try to switch to a less harmful alternative. I have no words to convey my disapproval of this... campaign. I think what bothers me most is not so much that they are against harm reduction, but that they are lumping vapers in with big tobacco. Vaping - apart from the cigalikes - is NOT big tobacco, it's small and mid sized (new) businesses, and they are perfectly aware of this (and is easily proven). Whatever your stance, don't use blatant lies to further your agenda.

More upbeat note: visited London with my wife last weekend, and it's amazing how quickly people engage in a conversation when you have your e-cigs out. I solved one waiter's problem with his Subtank, and made another one aware that juices can get a lot better than the usual in-house stuff. He wanted to buy my own brew, but it's not for sale.

Anyway, 500 posts already was a surprise, I thought it was about 100 or so. And yeah, they are watching us
Not completely kidding. The cats won't come near me if I'm vaping.

California politicians always know what's best for the people. Why do you think they are one of the most poorly run, highest taxed state in the nation. (Right up there with my state IL) Ever notice how many products are labeled "known to cause cancer in the state of California." (don't want cancer so I won't use those products in California.) Unfortunately a lot of these quack politicians hold very influential positions in the federal government so it's going to be a tough fight.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Well it boils down to Big pharmas having the democrats on their payroll and Big tobacco having the Republicans. It s all about money, they truly could not care less at the end of the day about kids, or people who have quit smoking successfully or mom and pop's business.
The big companies are lining up their pockets.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Well it boils down to Big pharmas having the democrats on their payroll and Big tobacco having the Republicans. It s all about money, they truly could not care less at the end of the day about kids, or people who have quit smoking successfully or mom and pop's business.
The big companies are lining up their pockets.
Absolutely. I've made calls and sent emails to my senator this week over their unreasonable propositions for vaping in my state. I'd encourage anyone in a similar position to do the same. There's definitely more going on with their proposals than meets the eye I think. But this is not a political website so I'll leave that alone. I've just been chilling with my subtanks and new flavors. I've honestly been preferring a 1.2 ohm coil at about 22 watts lately. Good taste and decent clouds. Sub ohm is cool but I find a big flavor sacrifice sometimes with higher wattage (like 28 +) but that's just me. Happy with 6 mg Nicotine for now as well. Glad to have a part 2 to our forum!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
I've honestly been preferring a 1.2 ohm coil at about 22 watts lately. Good taste and decent clouds. Sub ohm is cool but I find a big flavor sacrifice sometimes with higher wattage
I've been saying for a while now that sub-ohm has mostly become meaningless with the availability of higher powered devices.

Sub-ohm coils used to be the only way to get more power out of a mechanical device: given the fixed (more or less) voltage going from 4.2 to 3.5 volts, the only way to up the wattage was building low ohm coils. This was not without risk, as these setups can be quite unsafe if you don't know exactly what you are doing with your batteries.

Now even the relatively cheap iStick gives you 50 watts, so you can use or build the coils that work best for you regardless of their resistance.

On the other hand, with temperature controlled devices (DNA40 and SXMini M in a couple of weeks) because of the type of wire being used you work at 0.10 to 0.20 ohm, making the term "sub ohm" even more meaningless. It's a marketing gimmick right now, nothing more.

Personally, even though I have more devices and wire gauges than I can remember, I prefer building a 1.4 to 1.6 ohm coil running at 13 to 15 watts. These coils (28g, 7 wraps) heat up immediately but also cool down just as quickly - which means instant vapor and no "burning with no airflow" afterwards keeping the coils cleaner.

Still happily on 6mg and I can foresee in a few months that I'll go down again to something like 3mg. Nothing to do with willpower or anything, just happening organically it seems.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chief, honestly one of the nicest vapes I've had is off a buddy's vaporshark and Kayfun. Small clouds but big flavor. Fortunately he makes money and is good with building coils. I, on the other hand do very little of either so lately my $ is going to different juices while alternating between 2 subtanks lol.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Then you like what I like. I mostly use a Vapor Flask DNA40 - the Vapor Shark will be a DNA30 or 40 as well - with an authentic Kayfun 4 on top. Yes, that's a ridiculous amount of money, but as I said a few times so was smoking 70 cigs a day. One month not smoking would have paid for it. It's smooth, flavorful, hassle free, reliable, and as it has 2 batteries in it (5000mAh) this setup lasts me 2 days before switching batteries.

Also, with the DIY, I noticed that I stopped buying stuff since November last year. That's 5 months with 0 expense (OK, I did buy the extra nic base, but I won't even touch that in the next 3 years...) It seems I'm happy with my setup, and no longer drooling when I see new shiny bits popping up for sale.

On another note: just watching a show about palcohol being fully approved by the FDA now. Including... 4 flavors. Erm... isn't "flavors" and "the kids" one of the reasons why e-juice is under fire? Of course, as we all know on this forum, nobody abuses alcohol, right? SMH... The FDA even stated "potential for abuse is not a reason for not approving a product".

If I were cynical I'd suggest that because palcohol is being taxed just like regular alcohol it's not really a problem for public health according to the FDA... but fortunately I'm not cynical.

As for the flavor: one thing you can try with the Subtank is using the higher ohm coils (1.2?) and closing off airflow to a minimum - then running it at around 15W. I bet you'd get a pretty similar vape. Also, building your own coils is not that hard; I'm not exactly a handy person, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but it took me a few tries to get going with my own coils and now I'm very happy with that skill. It does take a bit of time, but it could potentially save you a bit of money on the coils you buy as well. (kanthal is dirt cheap, so is cotton) As you are using regulated devices, not much can go wrong. The first time you vape of a coil you built yourself is a fun moment. Just a thought.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I must concur on everything the Chief said. I still build 1.3 ohmish coils with 32 ga. kanthal (cuz 100 ft. goes a looong way) for all these protanks ( a2mini, a2, a1miniclone and a davide mini) to get 10 watts out of my genero ego batts. My wife and MIL are vaping big now. MIL is loving the Elite BananaNutBread and down to 19mg. If I were just starting out I would be subtankin' it with the kbox ($70 total set-up in these parts). Me? I'm rockin' a ground off (exposed coil) Vapinplus pseudodrip at 1.7ohm I made for weaning even further than the 4% pomegranate/raspberry/fuzzy navel mix. I'm stopping on wed. but will keep the girls in coils and juice mixes. Stopped at a shop last month and the owner was hitting a 180 watt box and blew out an impressive cloud. I said "why?" (he was using like 18ga wire--total re-bar).AND he was subbing at like .3. (he could have wrapped a 5 ohmer and gotten more surface area and burned like 2 ml for a biggerest cloud) Anyhoo, have fun y'all--I sure have. Oh, I hit my wife's 20% mix the other day and felt buzzed--glad I'm quitting but gladder for the tastier way out. Vape on!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Okay....Seems I AM that 0% guy. Went 5 to 7am and finally caved and am vaping some ry4 zero in my big pt2. I'm sure it's more psychological than anything but I thought the jump would be easier. No biggie--20 ml of juice left over from my last redux mix and it's nearly flavorless so I'm weaning from flavuhflayv at the same dam time.....Man, I'm even good when I'm bad it seems. Peace....
Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Man don't go looking for a towel following that guy around, he just doesn't throw it away, work that plan
Old 04-04-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on reaching 0!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Carlotta but I caved. I didn't last half the day. I also didn't stick to my plan with no caffeine which is a huge catalyst for me. I really don't want to quit caffeine--even short-term to get off the nic so it is what it is. I'm still an addict but with bunches more lung capacity and my clothes, house and breath don't stink like an ashtray. I'm at 3-6mg depending on what head I screw on (wow, wouldn't it be great to screw on a new head....wait...BLAM! BLAM!...just double-tapped that AV beotch). Anyhoo, life is good. The wife is down to 1 pack of yellow american spirits and vapes also. MIL is a champ at 3 cigs-per-day and 18mg juice. She's going down to 16 this week (started at 24). I will maybe get pumped for another attack on the coffee/nic in a month or so but for now, Vape on mothertrucker!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

I am one vapin mothertrucker!
I have like 5 solid converts, so far! Mother truckers unite! Vape on
Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't want to be that "told you so" guy, but... ehm...

I wonder if it's the nic, or just the whole hand/mouth/vapor thing. You could try going back to 0 nic and just stay there for a while. It's still a lot better than smoking - but I deeply understand the urge of being totally addiction free, trust me.

The **** is really hitting the fan in WA and Indiana BTW. The proposals that were passed in the committees are crazy. Buying e-liquid online in WA will be a Class A infraction - yet you can buy weed just about everywhere. I'm gathering teens never experiment with weed, right? smh.

I just made my first "big" batch: 500 ml of my ADV. I'm confident enough now in the process to make such a large batch. Total cost: $10. Yes, 10 bucks, enough for 3 months for my wife and me. Mind you, this is a complex liquid with 7 different base flavors. The "real thing" goes for $28 for 30ml, and I dare say I've perfected it so that it tastes better to me than the original.

I'm still trying to get my wife completely off smoking though, but she still clings on to 1 or 2 cigs a day. She doesn't like them, they taste bad, she prefers vaping by far, and yet STILL can't stop doing it. Our parrot has learned to perfectly imitate her cough, so every time he makes that sound I could go "yeah, she still smokes eh?". But I don't, as I know that it's a decision she has to make. Boy do I understand that bit... The only thing I can do is to be supportive and to keep her vape gear running optimally. That final step is hers to take.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I gotta say I don't miss the coughing or lying down at night and hearing a wheeze and it's me. I also rather enjoy corrupting the air that I inhale. As skewed as it sounds, having been a long-time smoker this is just part of it-- the lung hit. Of course the flavors are good too but I can kill 1.5ml-per-hour sometimes so I'm liking the lungs filled. Anyhoo, just saying it's a big part of THIS addiction.