Notices

Sober Vapers

Old 11-18-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yes! Very informative thread. I loved that Oxford named Vape the word of the year. I think the movement is really taking shape. I've read some blogs, I hope the FDA and big tobacco don't move in and ruin it. I get my juices from a couple local vape stores here. I'm about to get into one that tastes like crunch berries. Has anyone tried vaping in extreme cold? And can this damage your mod?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've mostly been using V2, which I like for a lot of reasons, especially their prices and customer service. They have a pretty good discount program for customers--once you've spent a certain amount you get discounts on everything. They also have a monthly discount code and a lot of sales.

The other place where I buy a lot of e-liquid is VaporFi. For the most part, I have three favorite flavors, and I carry three batteries most of the time, and sort of switch around. It helps keep me from being bored with the taste of only one.

Both of my sons (in their 20s) smoke, and I've tried to get them vaping instead. Gave them each a $100 gift certificate, but one had NO interest whatsoever, and the other one was "meh" about it and apparently still prefers cigarettes.

One of the other MAJOR advantages to vaping, for me, is traveling, which I have to do for work. It's so great to be able to vape in my nonsmoking room and in rental cars. Never a peep of complaint from anyone. I also love not reeking of tobacco and not burning my furniture or clothing.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Allright, time for some slightly raunchy humor. Your sense of smell (and some taste too) will return in a bit (and your liking for juices may change then too). My favorite new vaper complaint is 'Why do my farts smell so bad now, is it something in the juice?'
Old 11-18-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 11-18-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
torquemax777

It's this hyjacking a thread? Gee, I really hope not, but have any of you guys heard that they may make vaping in public, like the way it is for regular cigarettes?!?! Some people say they are worried that the vapor is toxic. So dumb! If they make it super restrictive, people will just say to heck with it and just smoke regular cigarettes. The general public need to be informed.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by torquemax777 View Post
I just wondered how much I have cut back on nicotine only vaping half of 1.6ml of e juice?
Like others have said too, it's very very hard to compare. The people who are involved in advocacy for e-cigs are also very much against these comparisons, as it's mostly marketing hoopla. ("this cigalike will replace 2 packets of cigarettes"... no it won't)

You have cut back 100% on benzene, carbon monoxide, arsenic, and 4000 ish (depends on the source, 3500 to 4000, of which 600 to 800 are added by the manufacturers) other chemicals of which at least 30 known carcinogens. A wild guesstimate would be that (are you using 18mg juice?) you now use about 6 to 12 mg where you used to consume at least 25 to 50...

The focus on nicotine is a weird one, and also controversial, but again most people - even the most committed anti e-cig folks - will confirm that nicotine is not a carcinogen.

PG and VG are sugar alcohols and pretty harmless (toxicity is in the dose, like with everything), and considered as GRAS. They are sugar alcohols (so forget about lipid pneumonia and all that misinformation, you need to inhale a lipid for that), anti-bacterial, and used in thousands of products. Sure, not all of them inhaled, although PG is added to some asthma inhalers for its antibacterial properties. But inhaling too much can be an irritant to the throat (completely reversible by stopping vaping for a while, or by switching to a higher VG content e-liquid).

The risks as defined now are mostly in flavors oddly enough. Sure, they are food grade flavors, but designed to ingest, not inhale. There have been some chemicals already identified as potentially harmful (like diacetyl and other diketones), but a) those are in cigarettes as well in higher doses and b) the industry is starting to clean up its act too when it comes to those.

Anyway, I could write for days about this, but the simple truth is: not vaping is healthier than vaping. But compared to smoking combustible tobacco, vaping is probably 20 to 100 times less damaging from a toxicological point of view.

Many forums will not want it discussed because of the addiction part; they see it as a new way to get addicted. Some of these people are genuinely concerned, others are protecting vested interests.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Great thread.

I picked up a Vuse yesterday. They only have 2 flavors, regular and menthol. I got regular.

The flavor is like a chocolate/caramel blend.

So far, I really like it.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

they may make vaping in public, like the way it is for regular cigarettes?!?!
It s already that way in Seattle.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Well, I finally received my White Chocolate liquid from Vista. Maybe I should change my coil because so far it is really a let down
I was drooling in anticipation and it's like meh... It vapes well, the vape is smooth with a nice little throat hit but it tastes nothing like white chocolate!
On a plus side they are cheap and have good customer service so I will probably give them another try with a different flavor.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

double post
Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Chocolates tend to gunk up coils pretty bad, Carlotta. I like chocolate a lot but have never been a big fan of the vape, it's pretty tough to get that to taste good.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks for the invite Carlotta! That was a great idea, this thread is full of good information/discussion.

I have been vaping Root Beer from Mount Baker Vapor, it's pretty good with 3 extra shots of flavor, plus they have good prices.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I am vaping Comet Crunch from Cravin Vapes (you can order from them online if you are interested) and it's the first flavor I've done. Seriously tastes like crunch berries cereal! This could be dangerous lol. Btw, I have some cinnamon juice a guy gave me, but I'm holding off on using it BC I was told it will stay in your mod and make everything taste like cinnamon. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I think cinnamon is one of the plastic cracking juices. There are a few of those, and yeah, you'll probably never get the taste out of whatever coil\wick\whatever you are using if you try to change flavors.

Here is a link on the tank cracking juices:

E-Juice Flavors That May Break a Plastic Tank | Mt Baker Vapor
Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Cinnamon and PG is bad news. Not only cracking tanks, but actually dissolve the plastic into the liquid - something you really don't want to vape.

There's an exception where the cinnamon flavor is suspended in alcohol, but juices that contain alcohol (typically 5 to 10%) are certainly not recommended for people who have an alcohol problem.

There have been reports of (sober) people being found positive in alcohol tests from vaping juice that contains alcohol, so you really want to choose your liquids based on information and not just flavor or price.

Alcohol is often used in flavor extraction and/or to dilute the thicker VG liquids. I would advise people on this forum to ask the manufacturer (the shops probably won't know) if there is any alcohol in their liquids.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Great to see this thread. I just bought an Innokin itaste 2, I can't believe the satisfaction that I get from it !

I like it because you can sit it on a table and it doesn't roll away.

It's a good conversation piece too, as no one has seen one before in my neck of the woods.

Only had morning cigs for the last two days, prefer the vape.

I was smoking roll ups , Golden Virginia, probably about 30 a day.

I'm vaping "lime" from Vapeking, with a small amount of some cheap golden virginia flavour, and awaiting some Puffin flavours to come in the post.

This has changed my life !

I would be interested in making my own flavours and coils too.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post
Cinnamon and PG is bad news. Not only cracking tanks, but actually dissolve the plastic into the liquid - something you really don't want to vape.

There's an exception where the cinnamon flavor is suspended in alcohol, but juices that contain alcohol (typically 5 to 10%) are certainly not recommended for people who have an alcohol problem.

There have been reports of (sober) people being found positive in alcohol tests from vaping juice that contains alcohol, so you really want to choose your liquids based on information and not just flavor or price.

Alcohol is often used in flavor extraction and/or to dilute the thicker VG liquids. I would advise people on this forum to ask the manufacturer (the shops probably won't know) if there is any alcohol in their liquids.
Thank you so much ChiefBromden, this is some really great info there
Old 11-20-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Just a head up: when I ordered my honeyberry juice from Mt Baker they sent me a free sample of Spew (apparently they always send free samples )
Anyway, if anyone likes the taste of honeydew melon that's the place to get it. Too bad that I don't honeydew. I ll probably give it to another vaper but the flavor is spot on.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Not only am I poor, I'm also on probation so that is great information Chief. Just wanted to thank you as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Can you buy glass tanks ? Guess they would be expensive ?