Notices

Sober Vapers

Old 02-27-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I think my nickname is gonna become no more toys or shinyitis as they say on the e-cigarette forum. I like this set up with the mini subtank and the 50 watt iStick so much, I decided I need a back-up so I went ahead and ordered an MVP 3.0 and the Nano Subtank from Mount Baker Vapor (haven't some of you ordered from them?). Sidebar- I read somewhere some of their juices have alcohol in them, so I doubt if I will try their free sample. Anyway, I thought maybe the minisubtank and the iStick could be my home set up and the MVP and the Nano could be my on the go set up. Right now, I use an MVP 2 and mini protank at work. I have a friend who is pretty good with coil building, so I've built a few coils on the RBA on the subtank and I have been using the 1.2 ohm OCC coil that came with it for the last 2 weeks! I will say, annattaboy, you may want to keep with your set up as the one thing with this subtank is I am going through 10 to 15 ml of juice a day easily. It just drinks it down! Myself, I have probably spent about the same now as I would on cigarettes, but I also remember the outrageous cash I used to burn on beer and weed in addition to the cigarettes in which case I'm way ahead (LOL not broke and can pay my bills).
I'm told the legislation in my state isn't going horribly, some of the vape groups I am a part of report that lawyers for the vape stores here are having discussions with the lawmakers in an attempt to reach some type of compromises.
I liked what you said Chief, yeah heaven forbid they'd think about trying to legislate another product that literally destroys lives and is proven to be a part of many types of crime (ie. booze).
But yeah, I am hanging in at 6% nicotine right now, I've got some max VG 3 mg juice steeping and just taking it one day at a time. I would also like to learn to make my own juice as it appears that is an object of their legislation. Take care everyone and vape on!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

My last purchase of juice was 8 mg. Started at 18. Going to pick up some 6 next week. Started this December 13. Hoping to be down to 0 by Summer and hopefully done by the time they make it impossible to get supplies in my state. I've researched winding my own coils and making my own juices and it seems pretty simple but I really didn't want to make a hobby out of this. Just wanted to use it as a tool to taper off a long time addiction.
If I am busy I don't have that much urge to smoke or vape but the winter months have kept me inside and bored. It's -5 right now so not much urge to get out and do anything.
My wife has given up a 30 year habit because of this and is now on 0 mg. My son and future daughter in law are a month or so without cigs. My best friend has now started vaping and is weaning off his Kools. (Now if he would just lay off the beer-schnapps.)
I really hate for this option to be taken off the table for those that need to overcome the deadly habit off smoking. I take it kind of personal as smoking debilitated and ultimately killed my mother and has crippled many I know with COPD and emphysema. Not sure of the long term effects of vaping all I know is it so far has helped me and several of my loved ones and acquaintances give up a deadly habit.
It might be a futile effort but I will continue to contact the legislatures in control to let my voice be heard. Hope those of you who feel the same will do the same.
Have a great weekend!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

You guys inspire me. I'm holding at 8 and 3-4 ml per day. Went through more juice than anticipated from 12 to 8 but have my sights on 6. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Went down to 6% yesterday and noticed a devastating side effect. The 0% I've been using for cut lately is Banana Nut Bread flavor so going down in nic is up in bnb. So... I made an actual BNB last night and after eating it decided my juice tastes MUCH better. After choking it down with POTW (going coffee free after 7am), I decided my ultra-low-carb puffs are better in every regard. Onward to the treadmill (gotta walk off that bread).
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Brian, just saw your post today. I have ordered from Mount Baker before and was very happy with them.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Great work everybody! It appears we are all on similar paths with the same ultimate goal (being nicotine free!). Although many of us are taking different routes (some costlier than others lol), I really hope we can all one day be free of another addiction. I just wanted to give a special thank you the Chief for his information early in the thread re. alcohol content in e-juice. I am subject to random ETG alcohol screens and take antabuse so it is imperative that I have no alcohol in any shape or form whatsoever. Since reading what Chief shared, I ask every vendor I buy e-juice from about the alcohol content and they have all been forthcoming with information. One sent me a list of his flavors that did not use alcohol so I order from that list. Another local person is also in recovery, so I accept his assurances that his juices are alcohol free. I received an email this morning from the owner of a "craft" juice maker that was very informative and honest with me in stating all of his juices use alcohol in their creation and he would not recommend using them while being subject to urine screens and definitely not while on antabuse.
So, just wanted to share that if this issue is important to any of you, definitely check with the makers of the juices before you use them because it is pretty common for alcohol to be used in the creation of e-juices.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hey, you're welcome, glad it was of service. I know there's a lot of misinformation on the internet, but I knew that this was a fact - and it seems you got it confirmed. I got my information from a combination of sources, but mostly from a Chemistry Professor at Penn State Dr. Kurt A. Kistler. He's not only a real chemist, but happens to be a vaper who also makes his own juices.

BTW, for those who want to learn more about the safety of juices (and DIY), this video (with Kurt Kistler) is a classic (it starts at 33:00). If you sit that one out you know more about e-liquid safety than 99% of the vapers out there.

I really hope we can all one day be free of another addiction.
One thing: you do mention that you went down in nic level, but up in juice consumed. I'm sure you don't need me to point out that 10-15ml at 6mg gives you the same nicotine intake as 5 -7ml at 12 (total usage would still be 60 to 90mg, just in a different way).

This is very common: as we move on to "better" gear, we tend to go down in nicotine (as it becomes very harsh) but we also tend to vape a lot more. But, the good news is that it stabilizes as you get used to the new nicotine level.

While I do not want to be relying on an addictive habit, I had decided early on (after doing the research) that the relative harm/risk from vaping was something I would balance against the enjoyment. So I never forced myself to go down. Sure, after the initial weeks I went down 24-18-14-12, but that wasn't so much about wanting to do down but the gear forcing me to go down. From there on I decided that priority 1 would be: not smoking. So for nicotine levels, I adopted a "let's wait and see" mindset.

And guess what: last week over the course of a few days my juice started to taste harsh, and burning my throat. I checked everything (did I made a mistake somewhere with the last batch?) but all was as planned: 12mg. As I was curious, I tried a quick new batch with 8mg and while that was steeping, I also opened a bottle of Black Flag Fallen at 6mg. And yes, that tasted "good" again.

In short: even when you don't "force" the reduction of nicotine levels (I was at 12mg for about 6 months, even in drippers etc.), it seems to come naturally. My body just signaled it was time, and I'm not even vaping more now (which does happen when you "force" the reduction). I might even mix at 6mg from now on, we'll see.

On a darker note: this week it was announced that Denmark is the first country planning to implement the EU TPD regulation, and those plans look horrible. I'll spare you the details, but in short, coming November 1, vaping in Denmark will be illegal for at least 6 months - and after that, only a few brands will have had the money and legal clout to get a few product admissions. There is no doubt that these will be cigalikes owned by tobacco companies. All the rest will simply cease to exist.

If this is the way the other EU states will implement the EU regulation - which would surprise nobody -, vaping as we know it is finished in the EU.

Which is very bitter when you read studies like this one: Respiratory harm reversal seen in asthmatic smokers on e-cigarettes | PM360 Truly truly baffling.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Thanks Chief and WTG on the redux. I'm mixing everything at 5-6 right now and yesterday did about 8ml cuz I wanted more caffeine and well.. had some. No surprise there. Sorry to see what's happenin' across the pond. I'm still using the same old single coil dino's but have decided it's just ok. We have yet another shop in mayberry all fighting for the title so lotsa good deals to be had. I may hook my wife up with a better battery so she can go all day. She's down to 1 pack a day from 3 and holding--only uses maybe .5ml of 18%. Looks like vaping is/has helped us all quit smoking and other than the local sales taxes no profit has been pocketed by Big Govmnt. I'm sure they're more than a little butt-hurt that this whole movement has done just fine w/out their involvement.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

I've googled a bit around the internet and found people complaining about a seeminly vaping side effect that chronic tiredness or fatigue. Most people say it has to do with the detoxing process from tobacco, but strangely I started eating cabbages and this has temporarily fixed my problem, which many would find weird, because the reason of the tiredness is the slowing down of caffeine metabolism when the cigarettes no longer give you PAHs that are present in the smoke.

But now that cabbages simulate the same effect incuding cyP450-activity, things seem so fine.

Anyone had any strange effects with vaping and found fixes around them?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

interesting UB--will be trying some cabbage. I'm in bed by 9pm every night and coffee does NOT help--thought it was paws or old-timers'. Strangely tho, I noticed reducing coffee to 1 or 2 cups only in the morning, I have more energy in the evening.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Yeah this struct me as a complete surprise as well. I found a good article about switching to vaping and possible side effects, and the writer said that he/she felt nasty and tired in a strange way and later found out that caffeine was causing the problem. With vaping, I've heard so many say they've become overly sensitive to caffeine. This is no wonder. The metabolism slows down without the toxic hydrocarbons, of course it leads to lesser threshold of caffeine.

There still could be other reasons for the tiredness but this just seems like the most obvious one of them. It's a shame that many things are blamed on the vaping when they have nothing to do with it.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Vanilla, strawberry, banana nut bread and turkish tobacco are rockin my taste buds at 5.33mg nicotine right now.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Vanilla, strawberry, banana nut bread and turkish tobacco are rockin my taste buds at 5.33mg nicotine right now.
Drooling!

LOL
Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Here's a little read: Effect of nicotine on cytochrome P450 1A2 activity - Hukkanen - 2011 - British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

It states that
our study disproves the hypothesis that nicotine induces CYP1A2 activity in humans in vivo.
And CYP1A2 is namely the one responsible for the metabolism of caffeine. What this means is that you don't get from vaping or nrt, the metabolic boost for caffeine. It's all explained in the article.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

3 days ago I passed 30,000 non-smoked cigarettes, and today it is 1000 days ago I had my last drink.

To celebrate (and also because all the tax & bans peed me off a bit) I ordered one more liter of 72mg nic, a liter of PG and 2.5 liters of VG. All for the price of 2 cartons of cigarettes. Which means I now have enough stock to make 36 liters of e-liquids - enough for me and my wife for about the next 18 years LOL.

30,000 cigs and a 1000 liters of whisky not consumed. Ugh.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats Chief!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
quat

Congrats Chief E(or V)totaler
Old 03-10-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Congratulations Chief!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Congrats to all that have stared down their addictions. I too was a liter-per-day guy and that would put me at about 275 NOT imbibed. On the nic front I set a date for the first of april. Just when I became sooo proficient at squeezing lotsa pleasure from the protanks with my 1.3 micro-coils and drilled airflows. Just ordered some grommets too (mostly to keep wifey and MIL in fresh coils--the rubber ones that came with my anyvape Davide are NOT tasty. The tinkering aspect and the flavor mixing have kept it fun but redux to zero was always my goal. I'm 53 and have skirted most health issues from my habits but even with probiotics and exercise it's just time.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Anyone using aspire bvc coils. They now have larger wicking hole 2-3 times as big and use organic cotton instead of whatever was in it before. Better flavor and smother draw from what I can tell. Enjoying some fruity menthol conglomeration right now. Been trying and succeeding to cut back lately and the wife's down to a couple of mil a day. Why did they have to make it harder. Purposely not upgrading and experimenting so I don't like it so much. Oh well! No lighting up for 94 days.