Notices

Sober Vapers

Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I wonder how I'll ever get my mouse to cut back on chain vaping???

Just kidding. Great article Chief.

I wonder if they'll ever do a study where they interview people who actually vape? I don't know about everyone else, but for me, I "chained" vaped for only the first couple months. Now, only a couple months later, I'd say I probably vape HALF as much as I did only a couple months ago. I didn't even have to "try" it just happened.

When will they realize that unlike cigarettes, where a person usually INCREASES their intake over time, for some reason with vaping, over time a person usually wants to decrease not only the quantity of liquid they vape, but also the nicotine percentage?

I actually have some 0% 0 flavor 50/50 pg/VG coming in the mail because either the better equipment and/or my taste buds simply can no longer handle the peppery taste/ harsh throat hit! And I started out on 70/30 with the harsh pg being the 70%. I can't even imagine going back to that strength.

So do you think they will ever take those variables into consideration in their "studies?"
Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

With harm reduction comes less addiction. Too many real-life testimonials to ignore this fact. Many have quit using e-cigs. Many more have improved their health and lives by just switching. It does throw a wrench in the machine much like the unspoken feud between HAMS and this site. I used both and MDJunction to taper off alcohol and will continue to read and explore the bigger world out there. I have enough personal exp. with both substances to find my way and some of it correlates with others and some never will. I think WE are all on the same page in regards to vaping (21 of them!) and that is kinda cool.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by torquemax777 View Post
I wonder if they'll ever do a study where they interview people who actually vape?
You mean like this one : E-cigarettes less addictive than cigarettes | Penn State University ?

Most of the information is out there to be honest. But the ones like the above just don't make for good headlines.

Expect more negative articles in the near future though: the gloves are off it seems.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I wonder how I'll ever get my mouse to cut back on chain vaping???
You can't. Remember when it comes to your Mouse's Nicotine addiction
You didn't Cause it
You cannot Control it
You cannot Cure it

Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Carlotta

Bet your grumpy cat could "control" the mouse real good eh?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I somehow missed that second link you posted Chief. I'm glad they did an article on how vaping can help people quit smoking, yet it still had a sort of negative spin on it in my opinion.

What we need is for a show like 20/20 or some other frequently watched documentary type program that has people like us and particularly people like you and Carlotta saying, " as of today, I have not smoked 10,000 cigarettes, saved $3500 and my asthma or chronic bronchitis is gone. Maybe someone that says they vape and now run marathons etc...

Then have you on there with the science of how less nicotine is absorbed, how many chemicals you're NO longer inhaling, informing the public that nicotine is a lot like caffeine, while addictive, not necessarily a "dangerous" chemical that everyone assumes.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

You are onto something TM---Maybe like the TRUTH commercials against smoking. Maybe THEY would be interested? Eureka! I'm sure we could find one or two obscenely wealthy donors to fund such a BadAss cause...Hmmm.....
Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I'm starting to "get" that the whole thing DOES boil down to the almighty dollar, and whoever is "against" vaping and exaggerating the negatives, stands to lose a bunch of money.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Positive documentaries exist, although not very often in the US.

Take a look at this recent report on "Trust me, I'm a doctor". It's a highly watched series on BBC. The doctor that presents it has always been very active in tobacco control.

And as he explains, he is very weary of ecigs. Then he does the research...

Or listen to this professor: he explains the sometimes weird reactions...

"Vested interests" sounds so much nicer than "follow the money".

I also like the "disruptive technology" angle he talks about.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
You can't. Remember when it comes to your Mouse's Nicotine addiction
I can't help wondering if they have these tiny squeaky AV's.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
quat

First we need to figure out what is the horse and what the cart. In today's world which drives which? Does public opinion follow policy or visa versa? How much historic opinion toward tobacco use is driving current policy? and how to either educate or explain the difference between two similar but radically different activities.
On an individual or ad hoc level it is easier to understand the logic behind a thing then it is to get others to agree , throw regulation into the mix and the problem becomes nearly insurmountable. Look at the automobile industry and the influence it has on our own lives. Which would you rather do, hit a deer in a 72 Fleetwood or a 2014 Prius. Why are CAFE standards more influential in auto design than occupant safety?
I want vaping to stay "open", but is going to be an uphill battle, might have to adopt a prepper attitude toward hoarding gear and such, and set up an account on what are sure to be the SilkRoad style websites of a future where vaping is controlled by "big tobacco ".
Old 02-06-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I don't know if any of you shop at my favorite place: MadVapes. They're having a tax sale this weekend. Lots of half price stuff. Can't post a link per policy.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have noticed that I vape much less than I used to smoke and no longer wake up and cough for five minutes. I don't feel short of breath anymore. And no danger of fire from a lit cigarette.

Best thing since sliced bread and cell phones!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post
To be clear: I didn't want to discourage anyone from vaping with those political backgrounds, but I also think it's important to know where you/we stand. And yes, with the current proposals in NYC for example, vaping weed would become legal, vaping nic wouldn't...

"What's that in your hand sir? Vanilla custard? Strawberry-Peach?"
"No officer, just some weed"
"Ah, very well, have a good day sir."

In other news: just saw an in depth review of the coming iStick 50w. Quite a few improvements, relatively inexpensive, and a 4400 mAh battery, which should last a couple of days. If anyone would have predicted such a device a year ago, the word "nuts" would have featured prominently.
Chief, ever since I read this I've been fighting the urge to be impulsive and go pre-order one right now! What tank(s) would you recommend for it? I was thinking maybe an Aspire Nautilus or Kanger Subtank. Maybe nano? I'd be curious to hear your advice. I do want a second box and 2nd larger tank and still think about dripping and coil building.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I have noticed that I vape much less than I used to smoke and no longer wake up and cough for five minutes. I don't feel short of breath anymore. And no danger of fire from a lit cigarette.

Best thing since sliced bread and cell phones!
It's amazing isn't it. That's why the resistance to ecigs grates so much. I know a woman who had horrible COPD. Ended up in the ER, almost died, and as soon as she could she went for a smoke...

She now vapes 6 years, and has no lung issues anymore. I know, anecdotal, but then again there are very many anecdotes like this.

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
Chief, ever since I read this I've been fighting the urge to be impulsive and go pre-order one right now! What tank(s) would you recommend for it? I was thinking maybe an Aspire Nautilus or Kanger Subtank. Maybe nano? I'd be curious to hear your advice. I do want a second box and 2nd larger tank and still think about dripping and coil building.
Keeping in mind that I don't have first hand experience (unlike with the iStick20 or the MVP): I would go for the Subtank Mini. It's what I would buy at this stage. Very good flavor with stock coils, and if you want to have a shot at building your own coils, just put in the RBA deck and have a go. It's also 22mm, so fits on most full size devices.

How rebuilding the Mini works can be seen in this video: (warning: Rip is crazy as hell and often annoying, but he makes very good rebuild videos):

The going price for the iStick 50W should be around $55. Note that some come as a "kit" (with a tank and wall adapter/USB cable) but if you already have a decent wall adapter (like from your MVP?) you can just get the "device only" offering. Shop around a bit, but also: wait about 3 weeks, as then the real life experiences will be coming in, and faults that were missed during reviews will surface (if any, that is).

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I don't know if any of you shop at my favorite place: MadVapes. They're having a tax sale this weekend. Lots of half price stuff. Can't post a link per policy.
Oops. I posted quite a few links in this thread, but I certainly didn't want to break any policies. Yes, Madvapes is one of the respected names in the US vape world, so it might be a good idea to have a look around there.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

That is one enticing piece of equipment. KT has taken a lot of chances and some things did not perform well but they keep an eye on the "progression" of actual users. 'tis like they read my mind with this one. I think since I'm bowing out of the nic part I'm gonna concentrate on helping my wife (3 pks per day) and my 74 yr old sponsor and his wife (62) who jointly go thru a carton of pallmall 100's every other day by gifting and teaching HOW to vape.. He has COPD and she was hospitalized with pneumonia over the holidays. Even my MIL who has a pen ... My wife is my life so I'm going FtoF with this--I'm gonna be a Vape "Sponsor". Johnny VaperSeed?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Just checking in to say my two eleaf 20w's arrived and I've been using them all week. I'm impressed! I'm using the adaptors that came with them along with beauty rings and they look pretty good with my 5ml toppers. I especially love the buttons. Buttons and not just the appearance/positioning but pressure required are what held me back from other big bats. These are perfect. As for battery charge... so far alternating between the two and filling in a bit with my itastes and erolls, I haven't put a dent in either one but did try charging even the little bit of drain and they seem to charge faster than itastes do.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Ok, got the wife set up with a 24% blueberry/cherry mix and it tastes great--much fruitier than my mix so the higher nic does make a difference. No matter--SHE likes it. Onward! So many smokers...so little time.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turtle82 View Post
they seem to charge faster than itastes do.
I just saw it confirmed that the iStick can charge at 1 amp, where as most micro USB devices will charge at half that (500 mA). So yes, it should charge from empty to full in about 2 hours - provided that the wall adaptor can deliver 1A or more. Did yours come with one?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Sorry not to butt in, but I went ahead and ordered the 50 W iStick with a Kanger mini Subtank. Yes, impulsivity is a character defect of mine. I got it from vapenw.com. For 50 bucks, I'm doubting it comes with a charger, Chief (or anybody) do you think it'd be cool to wall charge it with an Android cell phone charger?
CHIEF! Thank you for that video!! He makes coil building for this tank look easy. That should be helpful as I aim to cut my coil costs and nicotine to 6 mg's with this purchase. I've been at 8 for almost 2 months. I will keep you all posted as I await my first ever vape mail.