Notices

I Quit Today

Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Quit Today

Hi all,
I had my last cigarette at 11:23 this morning and am committed to that being my last smoke. Went out on lunch and stocked up on OJ, oranges, sugar free gum and then ran home to get my nicotine patches from a previous attempt. Was this forum recently created? If so, perhaps we can have a Quit Smoking Class of April? Anyone interested in that?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

RiverFriend - I admire you! I just bought 3 more packs, but know that I really, really need to quit smoking. A class for April sounds like a good idea, and one that I could still meet....sigh.

I don't understand it. I quit CRACK! Why can I not give up the cigarettes?!?! I've done it, for 3 months at one time, was very active on this forum. I slunk away in failure.

Maybe you and others can inspire me?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good Luck and probably like they say on the alcohol forums, try not to beat up on yourself too much!! Yeah, and I hear you on how hard it is.....I think with hard drugs (I fought that too), we know quickly how damaging it is, especially at higher doses, whereas with cigarettes it's such a gradual killer. I still remember being 12 and scared of cigarettes from everything I'd heard in school, parents, TV, etc. and then when I tried one I thought "This ain't so bad. What's the big deal?" Feigning hard as we speak and just slapped on the patch. It's so funny that I keep getting up to have a cigarette and then think, oh wait I quit. You can do it!!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! My parents both smoked, when I was young, and the first time I tried it, I HATED it. Fast forward a few years, was intoxicated, and smoking seemed like a good thing. When I told my parents, my dad said "you're a damned fool".

He's quit over 10+ years, but eats everything in sight and has put his health at risk. I don't want to do that. When I last quit smoking, I seemed to eat everything that wasn't nailed down, and as someone who has battled eating for comfort, that scares me.

HOWEVER, I'm tired of smelling like smoke, spending money I could put to way better resources for cigarettes, and I want to quit. Just don't feel like I want it bad enough?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As far as eating, I think the best thing to do is try to drink as much water as possible since it will fill you up and is healthier than coffee (trigger for me to smoke anyway) or sodas. And I stocked up on fruits/veggies and cut them up so they are ready to snack on. Also picked up some great black bean chips and other healthy foods that I can eat a lot of (and often) without the additional weight gain. I believe you can eat whole fruits/veggies til they make you sick without experience much weight gain.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah heck, well I guess today is not my quit date. I just had coffee with my mom and brothers to celebrate her birthday and she told us that she and my dad are separating after 35 years of marriage. Figured today might not be my best day to quit....but have all intentions of quitting this month. Wish I didn't just run to the cigarette but wasn't expecting this big news so quickly after my attempt. Anyway, probably time to get to a meeting tonight rather than tend the bottle.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RiverFriend View Post
Anyway, probably time to get to a meeting tonight rather than tend the bottle.
Yes, better than drinking right?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry about the news, but I do agree...I'm glad you're not running toward a bottle!

The month is young, we still have time

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Count me in, had my last cig last night.