Notices

Daily Check In; Part VII

Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Starting day 10 of NO smoking... Emotions are still UP and DOWN... but it is getting better...:ghug
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dime View Post
What a place this is, support from around the entire planet to help us all quit smoking. Cold turkey was the way I stopped a couple of weeks ago. It got much easier after the first few days. Now I just hang around to whine about being too hungry all the time or what ever else these people will put up with. I only came to this forum to look and wound up quitting smoking a couple of days later. The support, help, encouragement keeps yah going! No smokes on dah bus.
Ahahaha! Too funny! Gotta love a funny fellow southerner. Btw, I'm proud of you, Dime!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Day 16!!

Ok, I'm here, y'all! I've been busy, but I seriously think about y'all while I'm working (trying to meet the tax deadline at my job), and hoping y'all are still going strong, resisting those urges, and being overcomers! Life is so good, and the urges are getting fewer and further between.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hey I am glad the "Fam" is here! Everyone is doing so good this is fantastic. It is so wonderful to stop smoking and having others join in makes it all the better! I am starting the third week already, day number fifteen and off to being my normal crazy self.

I was remembering my experience when I smoked for a short period when I was young. I distinctly remember concluding that cigarettes did absolutely nothing to make me feel better. What they did was clearly create an incredible stress level that could only be relieved by smoking which only returned me close to the state I was at before I started to smoke in the first place.

Keep going everyone!!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Congrats on being here today everyone! I am glad to be here as well, last night I was talking to a old "Smoking" buddy and it made me think of the one "good cigarette". Of course when I have a crave (which at this point only happens maybe a couple of times a month believe it or not) I tend to romanticize the thought of how smoking was. Truth be told I would say only one out of every 100 cigarettes I smoked was actually a "Good" cigarette. The rest were disgusting and I was only smoking them because my body was withdrawing from Nicotine and I needed my fix. No different then a heroin addict needing there heroin just to be normal again.
Once I thought about the truth of what being a nicotine addict was truly like and how it truly made me feel, I no longer wanted a cigarette or Nicotine.
I took some deep breaths, prayed and went to sleep.
And thanks to my higher power and people like yourselves I am able to check in today with 6 and 1/2 months free from Nicotine.

I will say one thing, nicotine and other chemicals were my self medication for depression that I have had and tried to fight on my own since childhood. But now I am finally willing to seek therapy, I found an amazing therapist who is also familiar with 12 steps and has 29 years herself.
So if you are like me and quitting smoking brings up all this "stuff" that does not just go away by praying and writing gratitude lists. Perhaps a therapist may help you as it did I. Of course that is just me speaking and I have no answers. :ghug
Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeekSobriety View Post
Congrats on being here today everyone! Truth be told I would say only one out of every 100 cigarettes I smoked was actually a "Good" cigarette. The rest were disgusting and I was only smoking them because my body was withdrawing from Nicotine and I needed my fix. No different then a heroin addict needing there heroin just to be normal again.:ghug
Thanks SS!

I love the way you said it. You have such an eloquent way of saying they taste like crap!

Congrats on your 6 1/2 months!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
SS, thanks for joining us and sharing your experience, and congrats on your nicotine-free time too!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hello all. I am newly quit smoking as of yesterday at 7pm. And really only because I have no choice. No money at all. But I am goin to take advantage of it and run with it.
So how does thins thread work?
Another daily to say what?
That you are goin to stay smoke free?
Thx for having me. Hope I can make it this time.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Welcome Chiy

I'm on day 27 today and thank f****n god yesterday is over! I had heaps of 'feeling like smoking' yesterday and also noticed I've got bad mood swings. That is part of my physical health problems not from smoking but not smoking seems to make them more obvious.

Everyone here seems to find what works for them to help them stay stopped then does it.

For me it is staying in the moment and focusing on what I am doing right now, surrendering - just letting the thoughts past through my head and not acting on them, prayer, coming on here and journaling so I don't have a spaz attach of emotions. Eating too. Candy. My latest thing is flavoured milk. Lime. Yum.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flying11 View Post
Hi Folks

Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm on day 10 of quitting cigarettes. no patches,no gum,no champix.

Each day is getting easier. Have done 10 days once before (my one and only quit time) and know that 1 will have me back at 20 a day. Cough, circulation and energy has improved. I sleep better also.
Hi! Congrats on day 10!
I quit cold turkey as well, it worked best for me. Keep up the great work and just remember that as long as you never take a puff or chew you will be free from this horrific addiction!

There is an amazing free e-book that helped me tons as well, it is called "freedom from nicotine" and is located on the www.whyquit.com website. It is a really awesome read and has lots of fantastic suggestions.

Also Nicotine anonymous has in person and on line meetings that are very helpful as well and provide a 12 step approach to recovery from nicotine addiction. http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/

Welcome home!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey chiy, good to see you over here on the Daily Check-In! Read around and see what everyone else is doing, and please check out the stickies at the top of the forum for links, hints, tips, etc. I personally like the Why Quit website that SS mentioned, it was what finally worked for me.

I'm over 4 years off chewing tobacco. My son was whining this afternoon about his orthondontist appointment, so of course old Dad had to lecture him on the benefits of having good dental care

Not having the money could be a good thing. Eventually you'll be back to work and you might have a pocketful of cash instead of cigs in your pocket. It's nice to have that extra change to treat ourselves to something special for our efforts.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Crazy mood swings here even with the patch... I have been feeling like a real bit_h today.. It's like anger just hits me out of nowhere......
Anyone else going through this?? I'm on day 10...:wtf2
Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have had a high stress day. Kids goin crazy. Fightin with neighbor kids. Grams being snotty and sorta bitchy. And I know I am too. I caved and had to smoke oNE around 8pm. The only one all day since last night. I shouldnt have even went and got it. But dang..I was losin it.
I can do this. I know I can. I was payin attention to the urges today. They came alot and hard. But they didnt last every long. But they were persistant.
I am still goin to try.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

You made it this far! Congratulations. Now you just have to remember the golden rule, if you don't take another puff you will be free from this disease. The addict side of our minds does not want us to believe this and it will try and trick us and have us believe that we "can't do it" truth is a little small stick of leaves and chemicals cannot control us unless we let it. We need to take our personal power back. We are in control of choosing if we are going to continue to nicotine control our lives or not. Look I struggle as well, life is a roller coaster and the thought of smoking does come up but when I think it through and realize that the cigarette is not going to make life any better in fact it is going to make it much worse, then I know that I need to find another way to deal with the problem or issue at hand.

I know I keep mentioning this site but believe me, when I start to hear the addict part of my personality whispering lies to me in my head, I go to this page and watch some of these videos and read, the rational part of my head quickly takes over and the 3 minute urge is over by the time one video is done. It has been studied that a Nicotine crave only lasts for 3 minutes (although time is distorted in smokers and nicotine users, but if you have a watch handy you can prove this to yourself, realize when you want a cigarette really bad the crave will pass in 3 minutes! ! ! ! ! ! )

3 MINUTES! ! ! ! We can Totally do this!

Check out these videos , scroll down the page there are tons of little small videos relating to all our nicotine urges, excuses and rationalizations! It totally helped me and along with reading and posting to SR and meetings it has got me to over 6 and 1/2 months free from nicotine and prevented me from smoking over 4,100 cigarettes, yes four thousand one hundred cigarettes! Over $1235 dollars worth not counting how much money in health care costs and lost work days due to illness from smoking etc. Together we can totally do this!

http://www.whyquit.com/joel/#book

Joel's Quit Smoking Library
Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Day two and I am really struggling. A lot going on in my life just now which is very stressful. Hubby said maybe I picked the wrong time to stop as everything is just coming to a head right now.

I was going crazy today even crying. I walked down to the shops to buy cigs but walked past the shop. That was 6 hours ago. I am struggling again and I am really tempted to go and buy them and maybe stop again when things are not so stressful.

I am breathing easier so already feel the benefits. I am going to take the dog for a walk and maybe this will pass again.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by KOOKS View Post
Hubby said maybe I picked the wrong time to stop as everything is just coming to a head right now.
Something I learned.....there never seemed to be the perfect time to quit any addiction. I always had some excuse. The wife, the job, money, etc. Mostly it was romance or finance. In the end I just had to quit, I'd run out of reasons not to.

I'm sorry you're struggling KOOKS, and hope the temptation passes quickly each time. Stay strong, I wouldn't preach from the podium if it wasn't worth it.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Rough 24hours

I spent half of last night at the after hours vet with my daughter and our dog. They suspect she is having liver failure (98% sure). We got to bring her home to say our good byes but have to take her back today to be put to sleep.

It feels like I am dying for a cig at times, I swear, and I am back to a moment at a time. If I think about what I am doing now (i.e. typing on SR) and do not think of life beyond this, I am fine. I will probably be a moment at a timing it for a little while yet.

I can hear my daughter crying in the shower. We all slept in my bed last night. Me, her and the dog. She's 14 and we've had our dog for 10 years. It's very, very sad and very, very painful.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Wow talk about a stressful day! DSL started zonking out early yesterday afternoon and just came back up. That was worse than the first three days without a cigarette. Finally back up thank goodness.

Liz, I am so sorry about your dog. We can get so attached to them, especially when they have been around a while. Kids take it hard but they usually bounce back quickly.

Kooks, I am proud of you. Remember that you are probably going through the worst of it right now. Hopefully it will tone down after the first few days like it does for most of us. It really got easier for me after the first few.

Kendra, keep going man you are doing so well.

Flying11 thanks for joining us. Congrats on the tens days. Please keep posting and keep us motivated!

Chiynita, I am so glad you have decided to give this a whirl. I have watching your posts since I joined and I am so impressed with what you have to say about recovery. Please keep going with us here, stopping smoking is so worth it.

For todays whine! This is really weird but when I quit drinking almost 17 months ago I literally never had a craving or desire from day one. Big time anxious and uncomfortable sure but my mind never told me to fix a drink. But with the cigarettes the visualizations are vivid!! My mind is still telling me to reach in the center counsel of my truck to grab um on the sixteenth day. Filled up with gas today and they have huge cigarette signs with the prices where you pay for the gas. I was going yeah, yeah, yeah super expensive right and then I saw the sign for my old smokes and it was like a buck and a half cheaper! The bad part is that I still notice that junk but I am done no matter what. I can literally notice blood flow improvements and a chronic headache that was happening everyday is gone!

Thanks everybody!

But I am so glad I don't smoke.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

liz, prayers going out for you, your daughter, and your precious dog.

Dime, nice report, thank you for sharing.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KOOKS View Post
Day two and I am really struggling. A lot going on in my life just now which is very stressful. Hubby said maybe I picked the wrong time to stop as everything is just coming to a head right now.

I was going crazy today even crying. I walked down to the shops to buy cigs but walked past the shop. That was 6 hours ago. I am struggling again and I am really tempted to go and buy them and maybe stop again when things are not so stressful.

I am breathing easier so already feel the benefits. I am going to take the dog for a walk and maybe this will pass again.
Your doing a great job, its been two days! You are almost at the 72 hour mark which is when Nicotine is out of your system!!!!!!! Take it one minute at a time and just remember as long as you do not take a puff you are fine! Breath deeply, drink some fruit juice (to help stabilize your blood sugars) Drink lots of water. Eat meals at regular times and cut down caffeine intake (since when you are not smoking cigarettes, Caffeine becomes more potent in absence of nicotine) so if you normally have 2 cups of coffee, 1 cup will probably do the trick!

Your doing a good job! ! ! ! ! ! ! Pat yourself on the back and you don't have to listen to anyones ideas about when it is a "good time" to quit or not quit smoking. To continue to smoke is to die, that is a fact and it is a horrible way to go as we know way to well. So it is always a good time to quit regardless of what others may say or feel.
Keep up the great work! http://whyquit.com/