Notices

Started Smoking In AA!!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started Smoking In AA!!!!

Hi,
Well I have done well with not drinking and working the steps has keep me sober for sixteen months. But succumbed to cigarettes when I found myself hanging with sober people who almost all seemed to smoke. I didn't smoke before I joined AA. I need motivation and a kick in the butt to stop this new nasty habit. I do not ever have cravings or desires for alcohol but I fear that if I stop smoking physical and psychological craving for nicotine may tell my brain that I need a drink.

I am thinking that this needs to be done cold turkey and cutting down on cigarettes would be as tortuous as trying to cut down on alcohol.

Truthfully my stress levels lately have been through the ceiling. Should I wait for a calm moment or just bit the bullet and do it now?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Dime,
And welcome to the nicotine forum of SR!

In my experience, there's never a "calm" moment to quit smoking. We either quit or we don't. Waiting for the right time is just another excuse to put off the inevitable.

There's many ways to quit. In the end, for me, it's all about behaviors. But, you can still get support. For example, there's Chantix which I found to be very helpful. I had no cravings at all. But, you still need to fill the time you used to smoke with new behaviors. (Just as you filled your drinking time with meetings and smoking behaviors, yes?)
Behaviorial changes are the biggest predictor of success in quitting smoking.

There's stickies on the top of the forum, Dime. There you will find some good information. There's also a good thread called the 5 stages of grief about quitting. Read it and see if it relates; I was surprised how much I could relate to it! Finally, join the daily support thread. It does a world of good to have people supporting you on this journey.

Keep the quit, Dime, and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Requires Adult Supervision

Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
I was a cope man for many many years.
Working on my 3rd month free from any tobacco and I have been free from nicotine replacement for over a month.
I started with the patch and tapered off over a couple months.
It’s like drinking…. The best way to keep from getting loaded is not to pick up that first drink.
Same with smoking and chew. Want to quit? Then quit…. But be forewarned you had better have your program in order or you are going to end up loaded.
I went to my doctor and had them help me develop a plan that I felt I could have success with. Then I reviewed that plan with my sponsor so we could both be on the same page.
Then I made a commitment to follow that plan as closely as possible. Then I rode the ride….
Now looking back, I’m free from it.
Nothing in this world has any power over me! FREE!
I thank God because without Him I never could have done it. I prayed a lot for strength to keep to my conviction. That is where I had failed in the past; started strong but then waffled over time. Not this time though. I cowboy’ed up and rode the ride.
I’m not going to say it didn’t suck or that I didn’t have a difficult time. Point is, I manned up and did the due.

Too many times in recovery I find my self still looking for the easier softer way. Thank God I have a good sponsor. I just had to get it through my thick skull that it ain’t gonna happen that way man. My sponsor is a man that walks the talk. He has been quit for over 20 years and has been sober longer than that. He’s a bony finger old timer that doesn’t take any crap from the people he sponsors. He was taught this program a certain way, and that’s the way you are going to do it. I love him, gives me discipline. Something I never had on my own. We need more of that tough love… Oh yea!! When I went to my sponsor and told him I wanted to quit he and I got right down to business. Stepped up my meetings, doubled up on my step work and made the commitment; then rode the ride to the end.
I am pleased to report that I am a FREE MAN!! Thank you Jesus!!
TonyB

I know I was talking about chew in this post, but the plan part is still clear. This is what worked for me.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

I will need to come up with a plan and make a commitment. I don't think my Sponsor would be the best for help on this one as he is a chain smoker. But I do think that making a commitment to someone in person would be a big help. A lady I know who got sober right after me has just stopped smoking. We have kind of egged each other through sobriety. When I am ready I will tell her that I am quitting, I see her on regular basis and she will keep tabs on me. In addition to telling her I will post here and make a commitment to everyone. Believe it or not that means a lot to me. Before I quit I want to make sure that I am mentally prepared. I want to do this one time period, I will not go into this as a try to quit thing.

I have read over the stickies and all that stuff right now is more than I care to have going through my head. I want to try and keep it simple. I saw the adverse reactions bulletin by the FDA on Chantix that came out after the drug was released and in use by a great number of patients. They sound very significant and serious. I was prescribed bupropion early in sobriety (not for smoking) for a little while and I noticed that he had a profound effect on my desire for cigarettes. I keep forgetting to light up and put a lot of them out without realizing what was happening. I want to do this without meds though as it seems that all meds have issues.

I plan on doing this in the very near future. I understand what to expect in terms of mental withdrawal but it terms of physical withdrawal what can I expect for how long? I didn't see much in the stickies posted on physical withdrawal but perhaps I missed it.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most people coming into recovery
seem to switch addictions for one
thing to another....

I drank coffee but not as much
as I did after coming into AA....

I then was told to lay off the
coffee as it was too much of
a stimulant, esp. if ur anxious
already.

We often hear that too much
of anything is not goo for you.

It's all done in moderation.

My down fall is too much
ebaying and Amazoning...lol

I dont shop much outside the
home anymore mainly because
i cant find unusual things...clothes,
jewelry...Harley....etc....and
when i did go out my size wasnt
available nor the color.

I find everything i need online
and thus keep the UPS and mail-
man in business....

Christmas everyday....lol

Anyway....people have gambling
addictions, sex addictions, food
addictions, smoking addictions,
shopping addiction, too much tv
addiction, people that clean too
much, golf too much, bike riding
too much....lol would love to ride
too much if the weather would
cooperate....lol

Lots of addictions and none too
good for ya.....

Im guilty for sure, but hey im
sober and I remain teachable.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Requires Adult Supervision

Believe it or not.... Sponsor is the first place to start. He'll keep you grounded in all this. Once you have a plan, then it's all up to your HP to make it a reality.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks folks,

OK I'll talk to my Sponsor about my plan, even if he is a smoker but I will tell the lady who stopped smoking also as we have a "if you can do it I can do it" type friendship.

So I guess be prepared to get my butt kicked for the first few days. Does the physical stuff last much longer?

Oh and yeah I like bikes too, actually too much!

Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dime-- Congratulations on your sobriety
Even if you don't quit right away, please come around often to post, chat, read.....
and share your thoughts and tips with everyone. It really does help. It tooke me at least 3 (maybe? 4) months before I dove in. (Essentially, I quit cold turkey although the first couple weeks immediately preceding the Quit Date I did taperdown and jumbled up the daily routine and way I smoked and all that.) If you put your mind to it, you can get there. Just stick with it and work on ia plan/a course of action at your own pace.

Since you're under a lot of stress, I would find ways to help relieve the stress first. Find something you enjoy and can do. Hmm? Anyone have any good tips? Also find ways to cope with certain situations, such as being around all those smokers at AA meetings. What do you think might help? Share your thoughts here. This is the place.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Cess,
I did some more checking on the net and the physical WD signs would definitely crank the stress up a couple of notches. I will wait until my mind is in a better state.

Probably my most difficult time not smoking would be around AA meetings. It's how I started smoking in the first place. I still go to bunches of meetings and my social contact during this time is very important to me. What the heck these folks saved my life and now I try to help others, so....

A substitute? I don't like gum, maybe breath mints, hard candy, eh scratch or scratch what.... oh better not, help?

And there would be waking up first thing in the morning before I remember that I quit smoking and automatically reach for one.

I'll post back tomorrow and see if I have some more ideas.

Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Can you just feel the wind in ur face.

If its cool and ur bundled up in ur
leather, still breathing the cool wind
takes ur breath away. It's invigerating.

Think about ur lungs.....filled with
smoke, choking the life out of it.

Riding ur bike with clean clear lungs,
breathing the fresh air, feeling ur
lungs expand wide.

Not coughing up flym each time
u breath....

How awesome it is to breath in
scents of the outdoors, trees,
flowers, wildlife...fresh....

Smoking would mess up ur
scense of smell over time
and ur pink lungs would
become dark....

Stay as healthy as u r.

Ride free......
Old 03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Typically, withdrawal symptoms last between 3 days for some people up to 3-4 weeks in other people. Also everybody doesn't experience all the physical withdrawal symptoms either. Everyone is different.

I don't know if any of you other quitters noticed this, but I found that each time I quit (& there were at least 3 or 4 major quits before I finally did it), the withdrawal symptoms were a little different each time. For example, one time I was tired & wanted to sleep symptoms away and another time, I had insomnia, couldn't concentrate, and was irritable & emotional. It must depend on stress level and what is going on internally as well as externally.

Some prefer to quit when they know they will be busy and they plan everything they can to do to keep busy during the first several weeks. Others do better when they know things will be less stressful and less busy such as while on a pleasant, carefree vacation so they can relax without a lot of outside pressure from anyone or anything.

It's important to do a lot of advance preparations, know what your primary triggers are and how you will handle emotional/mental triggers (such as sadness/loneliness, anger/anxiety, etc.), situational triggers (such as after dinner, or when smokers are present, when relaxing, etc.), and the physical triggers (such as withdrawal symptoms below, hunger, etc.). Learn some "stress busters" (a term I use for techniques to reduce stress). Don't let stress stop you! I remember that's what botched my quits up a few times.

Cravings on the other hand tend to last several months. Hmm--I can't remember where, but I posted about cravings somewhere on this smoking cessation section. Actually, I quit 2 years ago and I still get an occasional craving to smoke. You miss it; you know? And that's when those good ol' positive pattern-interrupt statements come in handy.

Anyway........the List of Common Withdrawal Symptoms are below.

This would be a good time for other quitters to share their withdrawal experiences openly and discuss tips for reducing stress and managing all the triggers (emotional/mental triggers, situational triggers, and the physical withdrawal symptoms) while quitting.

You Can Do This!

PS Dime, instead of "If you can do it, I can....." say like the little tune goes: "Anything you can do, I can do better"

Keep Noping: NOPE = Not One Puff Ever

Common Withdrawal Symptoms to Prepare For

Cough/Dry Throat/Hoarseness/Post-Nasal Drip/Mild Congeston:

Headache:

Constipation/Gas/Stomach Pain:

Mild dizziness/Lightheadedness:

Tiredness/Fatigue:

Feeling Irritable/Nervous:

Feeling Down/Emotional/Depressed:

Hunger:

Insomnia:

Having Trouble Concentrating:
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Sharon & Cess!

Sharon nice stuff,
Yeah I am getting craving for another bike right now. Problem is I had my first wreck 10+ years riding 8 months ago & busted myself up. Both arms & shoulder broken w/complete bone seperations, lots of metal & screws now. I do really miss that feeling of riding.

Cess love those facts I was looking for.
That gives me a good understanding of what I need to plan to go through physically. I will definitely want to have substitutions, right now I like the thought of hard candy. Low cals, they last about as long as a cigarette and I will be doing something when everyone is puffin away. I really don't like sweets enough to get addicted, it might work.

I haven't stopped yet but my stress level is skyrocketing to the point that it is getting obvious to everyone. This has nothing to do with smoking or stopping. My Sponsor (great guy) got word and called me first thing this morning. I am going to need to get this back under control first before I quit and I will keep him tied in.

My lady friend that I got sober with started back up. I like your ideas of "you can do it, I can do it" approach. When I am ready to quit I still want to see if she will join me as I think there is a lot of strength in us both egging each other on.

I will keep all of you posted.

Thanks so much for all the help and encouragement!!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

I found this and thought you may be interested. There's more at the link; and more in a google search. The evidence is not definitive, but, it points to what my smoke cessation counselor said a few years back -- there's more success by quitting both. Though it goes against "conventional" wisdom, we must remember that "convention" wisdom once said the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth!
Quitting smoking increases the chance of staying sober
June 2008
People who are dependent on alcohol are also likely to smoke cigarettes. Many experts believe that it’s important to counsel alcohol-dependent individuals to give up smoking as well as drinking—not just to improve their health, but also to increase their chances of staying sober, reports the June 2008 issue of the Harvard Mental Health Letter.

It is a common worry that trying to quit smoking and drinking at the same time will undermine treatment for alcohol dependence. However, most studies have reported that efforts to quit smoking either have no impact on maintaining sobriety or actually increase success of alcohol treatment.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/press...-staying-sober
I know I had to quit drinking in the beginning of my quit in order to quit. It could be true the other way 'round too for best results.

Cess, nice list of symptoms.
Thanks!

Shalom!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks HT,
Reading through that it sounds like stopping smoking is a really good thing for alcoholics to do. The studies do have some confusing results though.

A major and still unresolved question is whether it’s better to give up smoking and drinking together, or whether it’s better to tackle one addiction at a time. Researchers have found that when smoking cessation support was delayed by six months, study participants were more likely to remain sober compared with those who received concurrent treatment for both addictions. But a follow-up analysis found that this may have been true only for white people in the study.
I appreciate you folks keeping my thinking about the smoking issue. I will flick the switch soon and do it but I am going to go into it with a plan and prepared after reading the suggestions here.

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dime,

It's great to hear back from you. Just keep posting here about smoking, not smoking because eventually something is going to click and you're going to say,

"Okay, I'm ready! I'm through with this nicotine addiction. I'm in control and a cigarette is only an inanimate object. I'm not going to let smoking keep me down. I've been successful at other difficult things and I Can Do This."

And you know you will...... Every time you resist the craving to smoke, confidence in yourself grows! I like your determination.

PS Did you know that: Anger is one letter away from Danger? Take care and treat yourself well today.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I have just decided to stop earlier than I planned to. Something is going on with me physically right now and my body will not tolerate cigarettes. They are making me very nauseous and making my heart pound. I dumped and destroyed all cigarettes, cleaned ashtrays and put everything related to smoking out of sight. This is not the way I wanted to start but I have no choice. I will pick up some sugar free hard candy to have on hand when I need to substitute. I will post back and knowing that will help keep me motivated.

Enough of this poison!!!!!!!!!!!

There, I have a half hour already!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Aww, dime, sorry to hear you are feeling badly. I'm sure the gang here will be around to cheer you... Take Good Care of Yourself now because you are sounding under a lot of stress. Those heart beats could indicate panic to cardiovascular problems so best seek medical advice about it. In the meantime, "treat" yourself well and add lots of your favorite little things to your day. Let the sun shine in! Call/write a friend. Hum a favorite song..... I'll check back in this afternoon and see what your thoughts are then.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just checking.......
Old 03-19-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Exclamation ill effects of smoking and, guilt......

BTW, aasharon, how are you doing with quitting? I liked the poem (just noticed it, and tonyb's posts too, so sorry haven't responded)......
It's hard to believe there are so many smokers still, with all the evidence that says it WILL KILL YOU. It raises blood pressure, damages the lungs (so many use inhalers because they have COPD or emphysema or both, or worse!). In some countries, warning labels are getting more graphic to get the point across. It's very disturbing to see but "those" pictures (on the Internet) are worth seeing if you need to gear up on reason(s) to and quit. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Also, I have a question I've been thinking about........"Do any of you experience guilty feelings when you smoke/smoked?"
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Twelve hours so far no biggie at all. I did use some hard candy a couple of time. I went to a meeting and was around the smokers outside and it didn't bother me at all. The smoking really was putting a load on my body. I still am not feeling right and am so glad to have stopped. This was a lousy way to quit but I am done, done, done!!