Notices

Junkie Thinking

Old 12-30-2003, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Junkie Thinking

I got this from the other site. It contains great responses to that ole demon smoke.
Another trick is to come here and post before you puff. Also, learn as much as possible about withdrawal and cravings. Knowledge is power!
Good luck to all.

And here's Junkie Thinkin. Print out copies for your fridge, bathroom mirror, pocket, purse, glovebox, wherever you mind need a reminder of what nic(otine)'s trying to work his wily ways, ok?

JUNKIE THINKING

JUNKIE THINKING: One puff won't hurt.
RESPONSE: One puff will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social smoker. One puff and I'll be smoking compulsively again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I only want one.
RESPONSE: I have never only wanted one. In fact, I want 20-30 a day, every day. I want them all.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'll just be a social smoker.
RESPONSE: I âm a chronic, compulsive smoker, and once I smoke one I'll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social smokers can take or leave it. Thats not me.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now.
RESPONSE: The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore. I'll be smoking again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'll just stop again.
RESPONSE: Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time. And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?

JUNKIE THINKING: If I slip, I'll keep trying.
RESPONSE: If I think I can get away with one little slip now I'll think I can get away with another little slip later on.

JUNKIE THINKING: I need one to get me through this withdrawal.
RESPONSE: Smoking will not get me through the discomfort of not smoking. It will only get me back to smoking. One puff stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I miss smoking right now.
RESPONSE: Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the chest pain right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-smoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to stop doing it.

JUNKIE THINKING: I really need to smoke now, I'm so upset.
RESPONSE: Smoking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset, I'll just be an upset smoker. I never have to have a cigarette. Smoking is not a need; it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not smoking.

JUNKIE THINKING: I don't care.
RESPONSE: What is it exactly that I think that I don't care about? Can I truthfully say I don't care about chest pain? I don't care about gagging in the morning? I don't care about lung cancer? No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped smoking in the first place.

JUNKIE THINKING: What difference does it make, anyway?
RESPONSE: It makes a difference in the way I breathe, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health.

OTHER JUNKIE THINKING:
Why bother quitting? We all have to die sometime.
I deserve to smoke.
Cigarettes are all I've got left.
They get to smoke.
It would taste so good.
They're smoking and it's not hurting them.
Smoking wasn't really so bad.
This won't count because____.
I know I can't smoke just one, but I hope I can.
I'll do it fast before I think about it.
If no one can see me it doesn't count.

More Junkie Thinking!

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'm bored"
RESPONSE: Smoking is an "activity" or "something to do" only for smokers. I'm really not "doing" anything when I smoke except still sitting/standing there. The rest of the world survives occasional boredom quite well without inhaling life-challenging chemicals.

JUNKIE THINKING: "But they've been smoking on TV and in the movies for years! There are even magazines devoted to tobacco products!
RESPONSE: That's right. They were on TV for years, I wasn't. I'm still alive; many of them aren't and they departed this vale of tears in prolonged and painful ways. And the smiling faces in the magazines now are risking painful and disfiguring surgery later, at which point they won't be smiling at all.

JUNKIE THINKING: "Its so nice to go out for a 'breath of fresh air' and a cigarette."
RESPONSE: Fresh air? I've got to be kidding. And face it, sunny days are one thing, but how many days do I huddle out in the rain with the rain hitting the cigarette and turning the cigarette paper that disgusting yellow color? How many times is it windy and it takes forever to keep a match or lighter lit long enough to light the cigarette, and then how often does a gust of wind come up and blow the ashes into my eyes? And when it's icy outside, freezing my face off is bad enough, but when it defrosts, there's this bizarre yellow condensation around my nostrils. Now THAT'S attractive.

JUNKIE THINKING: "Smoking makes work go faster."
RESPONSE: Most jobs where you work indoors are with companies who ban smoking in the workplace. Some companies won't hire me if I smoke. And every time I stop for a smoke it actually prolongs my work, since I'm not busy accomplishing it.

And the big finale is:

JUNKIE THINKING: Well, I've gone a whole year, and shown I can do it if I want. Now I can go back to smoking!
RESPONSE: Laughter..... pure, free, unforced laughter; rising up spontaneously from a bottomless well.

Lots of triggers and ways in which to fool ourselves, huh?

Shalom!

Last edited by historyteach; 12-22-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Worth a bump here...

Shalom!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Bump!

Shalom!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

lol

If, quitting drinking was this hard, they'd of had to tie me down in leather straps !
Old 12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh man, this is perfect.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
..discover it.

Perfect indeed. I forwarded this to everyone I know. The more who see, the more who think, the more who change.

100 days smoke free, for me! Cold turkey baby!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

For today, these are the two that make the biggest impact on me.

I'd rather be an ex-smoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to stop doing it.
I can get past those occassional desires to smoke. I just need to remember that this too shall pass! It's not the end of the world, no matter what happens. I will survive.

What is it exactly that I think that I don't care about? Can I truthfully say I don't care about chest pain? I don't care about gagging in the morning? I don't care about lung cancer? No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped smoking in the first place.
The truth is, I *do* care! That's why I quit! I hate coughing up a lung in the morning. I hate the stink. I hate the burns on my clothes, furnitures and rugs. I hate going out in the cold to smoke. I hate the expense. And I fear, very much, the future ramifications of continuing to smoke!

Today, I am Six days, 8 hours, 45 minutes and 0 seconds nicotine free. That's 127 cigarettes not smoked, saving $38.19. Life saved: 10 hours, 35 minutes.
Nais gadol haya po!

Shalom!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
..discover it.

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
That's 127 cigarettes not smoked, saving $38.19. Life saved: 10 hours, 35 minutes.
WORD! That's truly awesome! Keep it up!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

LOL!!!
Ya know, it adds up much more slowly now that I used to only smoke a pack a day,
Rather than the previous 3+ packs a day for my last quit!

Whatever, it doesn't matter.
My quit is my quit!

Nais gadol haya po!

Keep the quit and post befor you puff!

Shalom!