Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Nicotine/Smoking
Reload this Page >

Chantix ranked first among all drugs in reported problems

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chantix, the highly touted quit-smoking pill that targets a different pleasure pathway, has been linked to dozens of suicides and hundreds of suicidal behaviors.
A lot of people are trying Chantrix. Maybe that's not such a good idea. Why are you letting some profit hungry biochemist-prostitutes mess around with your body?

Obviously, I have nothing but distrust for pharmaceuticals, having worked for a couple of them and having a fair amount of familiarity with what the safety and efficacy studies for the FDA consist of.

Human biochemistry is incredibly complex. Drug companies are essentially performing human experimentation during clinical trials. If they can adequately massage the data to demonstrate the desired outcomes and while showing low adverse events, then the drug gets approved. Over the last couple of years, however, we've seen repeated instances of very dangerous drugs receiving FDA approval.

Taking any of the pharmaceutical cocktails that drug companies concoct is foolish, in my opinion. We are so brainwashed into believing we can take pills for any of life's problems. The drug companies are motivated only by massive profit. Not by concern for your welfare, and not by respect for how sensitive and critically balanced your body's biochemistry is.

By the way, after 32 years of smoking, I'm 70 days since my last cigarette without any drugs or other stop-smoking patches or aides. I have not wanted to smoke, I do not want to smoke, and I'm not going to smoke. It doesn't make a lot of sense to try and turn something that is not easy into something easy.

If you really want to stop smoking, and you are willing to accept whatever physical and (especially) emotional discomfort you are going to experience for a couple of weeks, it is very doable. Just try it. You don't need drugs or anything. Just be willing to feel horrible for a little while. Accept that you feel horrible. Don't fight it, and don't whine and cry about it. It will pass. Sleep alot. And in the meantime, you can be very pleased and proud that you are on your way to never smoking again.

Just keep focusing on the fact that you do not want to smoke and therefore you are not going to smoke. Everything else takes care of itself.

FAA bans anti-smoking drug Chantix for pilots, air controllers - Los Angeles Times
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By the way, one of the reasons I was able to finally put my desire to not smoke anymore into action, is because I sought out and focused on a large number of examples of people I knew who used to smoke and had successfully stopped. I tried to stop a lot of times and failed, but I kept reminding myself that "it can be done, it can be done, it can be done". So finally, it came down to this: what was I willing to endure in the way of discomfort in order to stop smoking? As soon as I accepted the fact that I was willing to endure any level of discomfort, I was free to stop smoking.

Smokers Quit in Droves, Not Isolation - US News and World Report
Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was able to quit smoking using Chantix. Nothing wrong here......I could not quit, have quit before in the past but was unable to this time without it. That's MY story, MY quitting. So far have been without a cigarette since Sept 07.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit with Chantix. I took Chantix 3 weeks before I layed my cigs down. I quit smoking April 12th. On April 29th, I stopped Chantix. I'm still not smoking. I don't think I could have quit without it. I quit once before cold turkey and made it 6 weeks. I feel Chantix gave me a chance. I'm sure it's not for everyone and some will have side effects. I had some nausea in the evenings with my evening pill, but not in the morning with the morning pill...strange huh. I had vivid dreams but no nightmares. I was not depressed or suicidal. I know drugs affect everyone differently, but I have nothing but good to say about Chantix.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Smoking often masks depression and anxiety in smokers.
When a smoker quits, these issues then come to the forefront.
Suicide can then be a result of the depression and increased anxiety - especially if people are unaware of the possiblity of this fact.

My pharmacist here in RI informed me of it.
My sister's pharmacist in FL did not. She started going nuts after two months of not smoking. Almost ended up divorced as a result of her behavior. She started smoking again.

This happened to her about a year ago. We were recently talking about it. She never realized that she could have gotten her depression and anxiety treated. But, when I brought up the fact that these issues can be expressed when one tries to quit smoking, she immediately recognized that those were the feelings she had.

I have taking Chantix. It is a wonder drug for me. In fact, it worked too good! After a few weeks smoke free, I literally forgot to take it over and over. I felt fantastic! No cravings; no urgings; no nothing! But, because I quit taking it too soon, I then began smoking again. My doc said I should take it for 3 solid months at least. Now, I have to start all over again... And I'm going to! I'm not going to give up this fight! It's a fight for my life, and I deserve every chance I get to live it.

I applaud those who quit -- no matter *how* they quit.
Whatever works, works.

Shalom!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit January 07, 2008. I used Champix (canadian version) for two weeks before I stopped smoking and for two weeks after. Then I threw the rest of the perscription away.

I'm still not smoking. Go figure.

(I just really don't want to be a smoker anymore)

Best of luck to all of us!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To stop smoking cigarettes, you're going to take a neuropharmaceutical that interferes with your brain chemistry? Sounds crazy to me.

Remember, Chantix is made by the same wonderful folks who brought you Vioxx.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

Each person has to do what's right for them.
Smoking is dangerous.
Cigarettes kill.
Whatever works for each of us, works.
And responsible adults have the right to make their own decisions.

Frankly, I tried zyban before, and the side effects of *that* were far more horrendous!
I had no, absolutely none at all, side effects, from the Chantix.
That's my experience.
Again, what works for one, may not work for another. That's why we share our ESH.

Thank you for sharing your information.
Others, including myself, have shared their experience.
All of it matters for people who have the decision to make.
And *no* decision to quit smoking is "crazy."

Shalom!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile Chantix works for me

I took Chantix for 4 months, quit taking it and relapsed into nicotine addiction. I'm back on it again for another few months and doing fine. I learned from my last relapse and I think I'll be OK next time I go off the medication. I would never have been able to quit tobacco without the Chantix. It's been a miracle drug for me and I'd recommend it to anybody.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Today's day two again.
My sister emailed me the other day. She quit using it, and has no side effects. She couldn't quit any other way either. And is feeling GREAT! She's so happy right now, and proud that she's off the sickarettes!

I can't wait to get back to the land of the smoke free. I'm sick and tired of coughing up a lung every day... Asthma and smoking do not mix.

Shalom!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a horrible experience with Chantix, but I stuck with it and did quit smoking. Too bad that I relapsed. (I am so mad at myself about it!) I plan to try quitting again and only resort to Chantix if I absolutely have to.

My problems with Chantix were: extreme nausea (often resulting in throwing up), other uncomfortable and unhealthy digestive problems, very bad sleep disturbances (my dog couldn't even sleep with me in the same room!) and finally I was completely "loopy" for three months from the anti-nausea medication that didn't complete help the nausea.

So given, what I just described... I really really hope that I can quit without it again. My quit date is July 1st. Wish me luck!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Good luck, DSodaNow!

And take the Chantix *after* you've eaten.
That's what they told me, and I've never had any nausea at all.

Shalom!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the luck!! :ghug3

I have tried to take the chantix after food, with food (every kind of food that you can think of!) but to no avail! (Actually, I did notice after eating a hot pocket once that it wasn't so bad. But you can only eat so many hot pockets!)

My doctor said that some people just get hit harder with the side effects than others. Lucky me!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chantix warning in Canada

Champix is the Canadian equivalent of Chantix.

"Smoking drug Champix linked to adverse psychiatric effects: Health Canada
Last Updated: Friday, June 20, 2008 | 3:52 PM

Health Canada has issued a warning about adverse neuropsychiatric effects linked to Champix, a drug intended to help smokers butt out for good.

A number of patients taking Champix (varenicline tartrate) have experienced unusual feelings of agitation, depressed mood, hostility, changes in behaviour or impulsive or disturbing thoughts, such as ideas of self-harm or of harming others, Health Canada said Friday in an advisory.

The medication acts on sites in the brain affected by nicotine. The drug helps ease withdrawal symptoms and blocks the effects of nicotine if users resume smoking.

Champix, made by Pfizer Inc. and sold under the brand name Chantix in the United States, has been sold in Canada since April 2007. In the year following its approval, 226 Canadian cases of neuropsychiatric adverse events have been reported. In that period, more than 708,500 prescriptions for the drug have been filled across the country.

Health Canada issued the following guidelines to the public:

Tell your doctor if you have experienced depression or other mental health problems before taking Champix, as these symptoms may worsen while taking the drug.
Stop taking Champix and tell your doctor right away if you, your family or caregiver have noticed any of these symptoms, if you experienced these symptoms in a way that is not typical for you or if you have thoughts of self-harm or of harming others.
Champix has not been studied in people with mental health problems, and therefore your doctor will be monitoring you closely for new or worsened emotional or behavioural problems while on the medication.
"Quitting smoking can also be associated with changes in mood and behaviour, with or without taking medication to help quit," said the federal department in its advisory. "A doctor or pharmacist should be consulted should these symptoms or those described above be experienced, since guidance has been provided to health-care professionals on how to use Champix in patients, including those patients who may also have mental health problems."

Health Canada, which published an article concerning Champix in the Canadian Adverse Reaction Newsletter in April, said any case of serious change in mood or behaviour or other serious or unexpected adverse reactions in patients receiving Champix should be reported."
Old 06-23-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm on day four of the Chantix again.
No problems.

Last time I took it, I quit smoking for two weeks.
I had *no* issues at all. No cravings; no urges; no psychological problems. It was too easy! And that was the problem! I forgot to take the Chantix, as a result.
And I picked up the cigarettes again because of it. :>(

So, to prevent that from happening again,
This time, I'm carrying the chantix in my purse.
If I forget to take it when I'm supposed to,
It's with me when I remember to take it.

I am determined to get back to the land of the non-smokers once more.
I remember what it was like, not to have this hacking cough!
And I want to be able to smell things and taste my food again.
And yea, to smell good myself, once more! :>)

Chantix is an aide that can help me reach my goal.
Everyone of us has to do what's right for us.

If it doesn't work for you, don't take it.
Work with your doctor and your pharmacist. Talk to them if there is any problem. But, know that depression is often masked by smoking. When we quit, the depression comes to the fore. These studies are not saying that chantix/champix are *causing* depression. There is a difference.

Please don't jump to the conclusion that a, (chantix) causes b,(depression and suicidal thinking). It is just as likely that c, (your smoking) hid b, (your depression and suicidal thinking). Therefore you would be subjecting yourself to the illogical thinking of false cause. And the statistics in the studies are very very small too. So, a false generalization is in danger here too.

So, it is vital to be honest with your doctor and/or pharmacist. And it's important that they give you the information too! Like I said earlier, no one told my sister, who may have been able to stay smoke free, had she been aware enough to get help for her depression!

What's right for me, though, in the end, is to do whatever it takes to get smoke free. I hope you all will do the same, whether it's chantix or anything else.

Shalom!