Notices

not doing well on chantix

Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry not doing well on chantix

I gave it a chancel I cut down a lot but the thing about making the cigarrete smell and inhalation very unpleasant only lasted me two or three days. I do get the nicotine buzz strong as ever and its been 30 days now. I went ahead and grabbed another chantix prescription after a little soul searching. I called my doc about adding patches - he said no way. I'm going AMA on this one though. Patch on, swallowed chantix, and went out and smoked my last cigarette about 15 minutes ago. Still not dead - I'm 52.

Thanks for being here to vent a little and to sit down and shut up for awhile; to listen (seems I've heard that before.) [
Old 05-17-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used Chantix to quit smoking almost 8 months ago. Chantix is wonderful, but it is not a panacea. Even today I make a daily choice to stay away from that first smoke. I have learned in my 19+ years in AA that if I stay away from that first drink I will not get drunk. I think the same about cigarettes.

Today, life is about choices and I do not let my addictions make those choices for me.

Try setting a quit date and sticking to it. I really do know it is not easy, especially the first few days. If you do not light up that first smoke, soon you will become the non-smoker you aspire to be.

I have been quit for 7 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 12 hours, 24 minutes and 23 seconds (236 days). I have saved $1,702.91 by not smoking 9,460 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 2 Days, 20 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 9/23/2007 8:35 PM
Old 05-17-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Chantix fills the nicotine receptors in the brain.
We are not supposed to use any nicotine replacement products with it. It's counter productive.
Have you gone to the site and used their support program? Or any support program? I highly recommend it.

Also, do use a behavior modification program. When a craving hits, do something different. Exercise. Sit in a different chair watching tv. Drink tea instead of coffee. Get straight up from the table and brush your teeth instead of that after meal cig. Changing our behaviors helps us from falling into the habbit of reaching for a cig, and keeps the idea of our quit at the fore front of our mind. We're less likely to relapse.

I wish you well on your quit. Please don't use the patch. Again, it's counter productive to the Chantix. Why bother with the expense when it won't help?

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sodium, I quit with Chantix, but Chantix will not 'cure' you. I had to put some effort in and talk to myself constantly. I still talk to myself. :rof
I quit smoking April 12th.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

tstorm,Do you answer yourself? :rof

sorry lol

Shalom!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

History teach...sometimes. :rof
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My doc suggested I take Chantix for 6 months....I took it for at least 2 1/2 months before actually quitting......then 2 weeks later I had ONE cigarette, in 2 more weeks I had ONE cigarette.....now it's been since September since I had that last ONE cigarette......would like to figure out how much I've saved...hmmmmmmm interesting.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

go to Stop smoking; tools, support and chat and you can download the counter. It tells you how many cigs not smoked; how much money saved; how much life saved; and how much smober time.

And it's free! It stays on the bottom of your computer; on the task bar. It's cool!

Shalom!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but not to recovery. I had my last drink Oct 14, 1997 and my last ciggie Jan 7, 2008.

I used Champix (the canadian version) for two weeks and then tossed it. Turns out I used the same methodology as when I quit drinking - "not gonna."

So far so good.

I do think the Campix works well though. I just decided I didn't want to use it anymore.

Best of luck to you, Sodium. You can do it!