SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Famous People (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/95227-famous-people.html)

beyondbedlam 05-31-2006 11:08 PM

Famous People

Hi
I have decided to start the road to recovery, I come from a family of alcoholics. My Grandfather was an alcoholic who was an AA member and sober for the last 30 years of his life (he died at when he was 85). My stepfather is an alcoholic who has been sober and in AA for the last 16 years. I wish I could learn from the past but apparently not. I am 28 and have been drinking for the last 8 years. At the beginning of this year I thought I would take a break and was able to go 111 days without drinking but six weeks ago in a moment of weakness I drank. Now I find that it is hard to get away from the stuff. Tomorrow I am going to go to my first AA meeting. I don't know how I will be accepted. I work for a liquor company stocking the shelves. I never want to drink because of this, as a matter of fact it has led me to believe that I should stop drinking. I see the people who come in to buy the product. No offense, I hope. One of the things that is helping me choose this path has been putting together a list of famous people who have given up (or in some cases never taken up) the sauce. I think about this because I want to become a filmmaker. So far I have a small list that I would like anyone to add to. My list is limited mainly to actors but please feel free to add anyone from high profile fields like sports and politics. I want to thank everyone on this site in advance and ask you to wish me luck as I wish it to everyone else who is taking what seems to be the impossible step. Below is the beginning of the list, I would like to include famous people living or passed on. These are people who have made public that they do not drink. Some of them never have, and some of them are recovering. I like to think of this list as encouragement and I hope it offends no one.
The List Begins
Sarah Silverman Actress/Comediann
Samual L. Jackson Actor
Stephen King Author
Doyle Von Frankenstien Muscian
Colin Quinn Comedian
John Spencer Actor
Phillip Seymore Hoffman Actor
Kevin Smith Director
Mel Gibson Actor/Director

best 05-31-2006 11:16 PM

Your grandfather and step father need be on that list..
Now how will they accept you? Same way they would accept me...with open arms and a willingness to help.

I know bartenders who are sober and I know bartenders who are not.
Stock a shelf or pour a shot...Both would be accepted at a meeting.
Only requirement...A desire to stop.

Cathy31 05-31-2006 11:26 PM

Hi Bedlam,

Sarah Silverman Actress/Comediann
Samual L. Jackson Actor
Stephen King Author
Doyle Von Frankenstien Muscian
Colin Quinn Comedian
John Spencer Actor
Phillip Seymore Hoffman Actor
Kevin Smith Director
Mel Gibson Actor/Director
Marian Keyes Author
Anthony Kiedis Red Hot Chilli Peppers Singer
Robbie Williams Singer
Mary J Blige Singer
Elton John Singer
Melanie Griffiths Actor

Gosh, there are so many, those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head!
You are sooo doing the right thing with the meeting! You will be welcomed with open arms!! :) Let us know how you get on, and take a read on the AA forum too.

Love
Cathy31
x

Anna 05-31-2006 11:29 PM

I think it's great when a person in the public eye, speaks out and shows people that he/she is living a sober life and that it can be done.

Kitty Dukakis
Patty Duke
Demi Moore
Mary Tyler Moore
Ali McGraw
Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman)
Tom Arnold
Ann-Margaret
Dick Van Dyke
Dylan Thomas
Eric Clapton

CarolD 05-31-2006 11:41 PM

Welcome to SR!:banana:

It's great to see you p;anning a new sober life.
Congratulations!

Betty Ford...she started recovery as the First Lady
Robin Williams
William Shatner
Elizabeth Taylor
Dr. Bob Smith
Bill Wilson

Arura 06-01-2006 01:01 AM

:eek2: hi, folks william shatner not captain kirk..
learn something new everyday. Its good to read people getting it off ther chest.We all need abit of that from time to time.
i messed up abit yesterday :dunno . got pissed but i'm hangin out
for the chemist this morning............

hi Anna, thanks for your comitment to others.
if we don't help each other were not gona be able to get through it.
things like isolating,anger,hate,tears.......we all do them.
why not ungerstand it...
:cheer samuel coldridge...

Cathy31 06-01-2006 02:52 AM

US President George Bush...does not drink alcohol any longer. I loved what he said once (am actually quite a fan, think he is very decent, as is Tony Blair!) I stopped drinking alcohol because it was competing with/ sapping my energy. I thought he put that really well. It is SUCH an energy sapper!

igfan 06-01-2006 05:43 AM

how about........

Aerosmith
Doc Severenson
Grace Slick

daddysgirl29 06-01-2006 05:54 AM

Morning! Here's another one: Ben Affleck

p.s. congrats on your decision to stop drinking!!

BSPGirl 06-01-2006 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cathy31
US President George Bush...does not drink alcohol any longer. I loved what he said once (am actually quite a fan, think he is very decent, as is Tony Blair!) I stopped drinking alcohol because it was competing with/ sapping my energy. I thought he put that really well. It is SUCH an energy sapper!

You must be about the only fan of those two left...:hypnotize

Anyway, good luck, beyondbedlam! Oh and welcome to SR! :hug:

daddysgirl29 06-01-2006 06:30 AM

:e052:

daddysgirl29 06-01-2006 07:29 AM

beyondbedlam - are you looking for those who have been to treatment and stopped or those that never drank in the first place?

leviathon 06-01-2006 07:36 AM

Not sure of the actors name but I know the lead actor in "Fraser" struggled seriously with alcoholism. Not sure of his status, but as it was making the papers for a long while and then it stopped, I assume he is on the wagon.

Anna 06-01-2006 07:38 AM

Kelsey Grammer!

Arura 06-01-2006 08:26 AM

:kitty:

Oliver read
george best
:C023:

6402 06-01-2006 08:38 AM

Don't forget Christopher Lawford Kennedy. Have you read his memoir, "Symptoms of Withdrawal"? It's definitely worth a read.

Anna 06-01-2006 08:39 AM

I saw him on Larry King and he is a very impressive person!

hector 06-01-2006 10:48 AM

John Laroquette

Craig Nelson

I have tapes of roundup speeches from each.
beyond, AA will welcome you. It's what we do. We all went to our first meeting once.

I've been sober over 17 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

Cathy31 06-02-2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Arura
:kitty:

Oliver read
george best
:C023:

Unfortunately both Oliver and Georgie only stopped drinking because ... their drinking killed them and now they are dead! :(

golf99 06-02-2006 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by BSPGirl
You must be about the only fan of those two left...:hypnotize

Anyway, good luck, beyondbedlam! Oh and welcome to SR! :hug:

I'm a fan!
And I bet the thousands of people that had family members killed by Saddam Hussein are fans as well.

http://politicalbetting.com/upload/blair%20bush,0.jpg