Notices

Shaking hands.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shaking hands.

How many days does it take to stop shaking after stopping drinking?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, it might take a few days or more for that to stop. I think it depends on how much you've been drinking and for how long.

Detoxing can be dangerous so you should consider talking to a dr.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

Anna is correct.
You are wise to see a doctor when quitting.
There are meds to help you de tox.

We have a forum Alcoholism that is full of info.
Please check ot out.

Blessings...
Old 11-25-2005, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you 51anna

Thanks, it seems right after eating its mich better, and in the early AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome cncinc!
You have found a great place for help and support. Good suggestions above! Keep the faith!
Bless, Trish
Old 11-25-2005, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you just a day or two into sobriety? Because I agree with the above, when they say seek a Dr. perhaps. Usually if you drank alot for alot of months or years, the shakes is only the beginning of a much worse few days ahead. Are you just talking like mild shakes? For your sake, Id go to a doctor just to be sure. I didnt the first time I tried to quit and I went into delirium tremens, had a seizure, and split my head wide open. The third time, my heart stopped for 45 seconds and they had to use a defibrilator to jump start me back up. Both times started with mild shakes that I thought Id get over,...and it seemed like it was getting better, then all the rest started. I asked my substance abuse doctor about it after the fact and he said that its very common for someone who drinks alcoholically on a regular basis to go through that. Be smart. The stats shocked me when he showed them to me

1 out of 1000 people die of a heroine withdrawal
Sounds standard. Sounds terrible,...but standard, really.

But then this one freaked me out.

1 out of just 33 people die of an alcohol withdrawal. BIG difference. Both of these senarios are based on people that dont seek medical treatment during withdrawal. So up your antee. Its worth looking into. But dont wait. You may be sorry. Good luck. You can do this !!!
Old 11-26-2005, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Worse few days ahead - delerium tremens

Thank you for your feedback.

Shaking has really quieted down. Its my hands and fingers, the mouse would click at the wrong time, I'd double type letters. But not anymore. Yes I am only a few days into recovery. Eating soup was impossile. Thanksgiving dinner was tough.

What can I expect of the worse few days ahead?

I'll look up delerium tremens. Are there warning signs before an onset? Is there some way to tell when you're past the high risk period?

Also, I've discussed triggers with a smoker friend of mine. You know, get in the car, smoke, eat a meal, smoke, morning coffee, smoke. I first started noticing my triggers when I sat down to watch Thanksgiving day football without a beer. I think it helps me.

On the up-side (besides not drinking) I'm full of energy, sleep through the night insted of waking up every hour, and no longer snore.

Thanks again
Old 11-26-2005, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me the shaking was the worst. I hated that feeling and went through some variation of it every day until I could get alcohol in my system. When I detoxed it lasted for about 4 or 5 days I think but each day was a little bit better.

Sugar helps calm them some. Your body processes sugar the same way it processed alcohol so try eating a bowl of ice cream or a tablespoon of honey in a glass or orange juice or a couple of pieces of chocolate and see if that helps some.

Hang in there and just remember, once you get through it you don't ever have to go through it again unless you choose to!!!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-26-2005, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cncinc
Thank you for your feedback.

Shaking has really quieted down. Its my hands and fingers, the mouse would click at the wrong time, I'd double type letters. But not anymore. Yes I am only a few days into recovery. Eating soup was impossile. Thanksgiving dinner was tough.

What can I expect of the worse few days ahead?

I'll look up delerium tremens. Are there warning signs before an onset? Is there some way to tell when you're past the high risk period?

Also, I've discussed triggers with a smoker friend of mine. You know, get in the car, smoke, eat a meal, smoke, morning coffee, smoke. I first started noticing my triggers when I sat down to watch Thanksgiving day football without a beer. I think it helps me.

On the up-side (besides not drinking) I'm full of energy, sleep through the night insted of waking up every hour, and no longer snore.

Thanks again

Delirium tremens (DT) is a potentially fatal form of ethanol (alcohol) withdrawal. Symptoms of ethanol withdrawal and DT have been recognized for hundreds of years, but the debate over their etiology continued into the 1950s. The work of Victor and Adams as well as Isbell finally demonstrated the symptoms related to ethanol abstinence.

Symptoms may begin a few hours after the cessation of ethanol, but may not peak until 48-72 hours. Emergency physicians must recognize that the presenting symptoms may not be severe and identify those at risk for developing DT. For patients in DT, early recognition and therapy are necessary to prevent significant morbidity and death.

Pathophysiology: DT is caused by the direct effect that ethanol has on the benzodiazepine-GABAa-chloride receptor complex. Persistent effects of ethanol lead to the down-regulation of the receptor complex. When ethanol is withdrawn, a functional decrease in the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA is seen. This results in an unopposed increase in sympathetic activity with a resultant increase in plasma and urinary catecholamines. Ethanol also acts as an N-methyl D-aspartate receptor antagonist. Withdrawal of ethanol leads to increased activity of these excitatory neural receptors.

Now,....I didnt mean to freak you out or anything,....not everyone gets the DT's. Alot of high school kids will joke with their friends the morning after drinking when their hands are shaking and say something like "Dude !!.....Look!! I got the DT's, man" Well,....that aint the DT's. I dont know how the little shakes got labeled that, but its wrong. DT's are sleeplessness, depression, Auditory and visual hallucinations,.....many recovering addicts will hear some form of symphany music, hear knocks at the door that arent there, see fuzzy spiders or rats, see things move,.....my sponsor tells horror stories of seeing evil clowns poking out of his bedroom walls and screaming at him. I know I heard things alright. Music in the middle of the night. I heard children outside my window playing at 3am. I saw a black panther in my apartment, little spiders shot out of my shower head at me, and all this coupled with UNCONTROLLABLE shaking. My heart rate was so fast and hard I couldnt breath. Absolutely the most horrific time in my life. If you get them depends on how much you drank and how often,....along with your bodies chemical makeup. Bottom line is,...you never know if you WILL get them. But once you do get them,....left untreated the fatallity rate is upwards of 70%. So if you were a daily drinker of ALOT of drinks,.....I'd go to a doctor pronto. Good luck
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ya im having this issue now. veryyyyyyyyy annoying
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see you joined in 2005, the shakes should have stopped by now.

Are you going to AA ?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I recommend seeing your doctor. For myself I thought they would fade, but later I learned I had done many things to my body with all the years of serious abuse. And one is that nerve damage that I do have tremors and always will. They will fade and just be now and then but just another thing I have to live with. But I can LIVE