Notices

Unshackle me.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unshackle me.

It is nice to see that everyone here has an opinion and are not afraid to speak it. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get any feedback that was going to make me take a hard enough look at myself to push me to take my recovery seriously. I came across a post from Adipsia this morning, which prompted me to seek the thread, in question. After reading all the posts I came to realize this is where I need to be.

I have learned from my own past experience, I do not necessarily progress in recovery unless I am able to listen and share with others who are suffering or have suffered from the same affliction I have; issues surrounding alcoholism. The social inclusiveness, different opinions, and personalities one encounters in an AA meting are essential to the path of recovery and hope of all who suffer.
I have never been to an AA meting that was censored or monitored when it came to the ones who graced the rooms and felt a burning desire to share, be heard, and possibly understood. Hopefully free to make a connection with someone who they can relate to. The saying,” principles before personalities” has been around for some time and I myself have applied it to my recovery daily.

What I am trying to say is I obtained more from this thread and the follow up then I have any others I have come across in my measly 12 days of recovery. This is not to say other threads and posts have not been helpful, they have been. I needed to be witness to the reality of this disease in the eyes of others and hear honest raw feelings, uncensored, and real; as in being true to ones feelings, not swearing.

I feel like I just went to a good meeting and walked away with things I needed, not necessarily any specific points of view but being reminded that we are not perfect and are free to share our feelings, experiences, and opinions. I hope this is taken into consideration when the next thread comes along that sparks such honesty, diversity, and reflection and we are free to truly share the good, the bad, and the ugly and allowed to be realistic about our recovery.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats on your 12 days , and they are not measly.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Finmywayback,

Im not sure which thread you are referring to but I am glad that you are here with us & sharing. This site is a great resource to have with us along our journeys.

All of the best in your recovery & take care ~

P.S. 12 days is an awesome start and can be the beginning of a lifetime of wonderful sober days. One day at a time ;-)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 12 days

D