Notices

Sniffing comet?

Old 09-18-2005, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sniffing comet?

I apologize in advance if this is an inappropriate forum, but I am seeking information.

Has anyone heard of the abuse of Comet (the cleaner made by Proctor and Gamble) by sniffing? We have caught a close relative doing this and it has been going on for a while. There seems to be little or no information on the internet and I was wondering if anyone had heard of this.

What does it do to the body?
What is the "upside"? Why do people do this?
Are there resources that give help on the abuse of "uncommon" substances?

Many, many thanks for your time and attention to this

mmsood
Old 09-18-2005, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi mmsood, Welcome to SR. I don't know anything about it but I am sure someone will be along shortly who does.

nogard
Old 09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Welcome mmsood, I hope you stick around and get some supoport here. Excellent recovery site..
I am with nogard on this one, I have never heard of anyone sniffing comet. I won't think it's to good for the nasal passages and sinuses, but I know nothing about it.
Could it be possible that you relative has a problem with sniffing other products, and didn't have anything welse to sniff, and ended up tryin to sniff the comet?
My drug of choice is pain killers, and I can tell you in times of desperation, when I could not find any pain killers to use, I eould raid peoples medicine cabinet and if desperate enough, and if I had nothingI was usually deperae enough, I would take almost anything if I didn't know what it was when reading the label, thinking it could possibly make me feel better. Because we are usually that sick when using drugs...
Might sound sick to a person not addicted to drugs, well because... it is sick... It's a terrible illness.
I am hoping like nogard says maybe someone will come along that has heard of this. But if not, what I mentioned is always a possibility..
Don't apologize for your post, it is certainly not innaproprate.
I wish you the best of luck. I hope your relative gets some help. I know that "sniffing" is horribly dangerous..
Love, Becky
Old 09-18-2005, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

What makes you think it was comet? ... just thinking that perhaps it was another substance and someone fibbed.

I've believed some whoppers in my time...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sniffing comet....more information

Thanks for the quick response. We think it was Comet because when she visited our house, we noticed the Comet disappearing very quickly...from the Comet container. She has also been seen by her children (yes! sad isn't it?) doing it in the bathroom.

We are pretty sure it is Comet.

I work in Biotech designing therapeutic drugs but I'm not aware of any pharmacological effect from Comet. It's not a narcotic, aneasthetic (i.e. inhalents) or anything I know of. It is a puzzler

Regards

mmsood
Old 09-19-2005, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am completely ignorant about this (happily!) but when I read this, it made me think for a second about self-mutilators: people that cut, burn etc. themselves to "feel better" somehow. I do not understand the dynamics of that, but snorting Comet would rank up there to me. Having accdidently had a little of the "Comet dust" get in my nose before, I know that it really burns. Well; for what it is worth, thought I would throw that out there. Good luck. I will be interested to see what people know about this.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I recently read this from an addict and it might apply...

When i was main lineing (needle) opiates, when I did'nt have something i would just cook the water and shoot that. it is called being addicted to the needle, there are many different addictions in the addicts life.(ME)

Being an alcoholic...I had never heard of this nor have I heard of Comet sbniffing.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There was a scene in one of the Cheech and Chong drug movies about a women mistaking comet for cocaine and taking a big sniff of it. I hope that didn't give people ideas. Also, I read an article years ago about a young girl who cleaned houses and just loved the smell of comet so inhaled deaply while cleaning. She died. I always hold my breath while sprinkling the stuff, until at least it is wet.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sniffing Comet

I know that you posted a month ago, but I hope you are still checking fror responses. I have a the same problem as your relative. Except I'm not sniffing, but i have been eating and now inhaling through a straw as if i was smoking. I don't know what the high is, but i do know that I am addictive. It is the first thing that I think about when wake up and the last thing I think about when I go to sleep. I have been doing this for almost two years. It started when i was pregnant. I would not swallow anything at the time but I would rinse my mouse out with soap or detergent. My doctor told me that some pregnant women crave chemicals or odd substances during their pregnancy but my problem go worse after giving birth. I ate soap, Tide, and these little detergent tablets. I started eating comet because i loved the smell. I would mix large quantities with water and let it harden and crunch on it all day long. It makes me sick sometimes and at times I felt that i was dying, but i still do it. I started inhaling a few weeks ago and now have trouble breathing. I suspect that this has cause two early miscarriages. I have made a decision once again to stop but I don't know how. the thought of it consumes me. I know this will kill me one day. I don't drink, don't smoke don't party. I feel out of control. somebody tell me if i'm crazy or just advise me on what I can do to stop this

thanks, Arti
Old 10-16-2005, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

(((((((((Arti)))))))))) Wow. I hope you can find a way to get help soon. If I were you, I would start by talking openly and honestly with your doctor. If they can't help, I would look for another one until you find one who takes you seriously and will get you the help that you need.

I am sending extra prayers your way....

Hugs--
Old 10-16-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Arti,

I agree with LauraLu. Talk to your dr and find someone who can help you with this problem. I hope you keep visiting SR. You can find lots of support here for any kind of addiction.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unhappy I am also addicted!!!

I am myself addicted to sniffing Comet. It started while I was cleaning and I was already addicted to sniffing Fantastik. I now am addicted it seems, to Comet as well as Cascade dishwasher powder (if I can't find any comet). At first I didn't think anything of it but one day I sniffed so much it was hard to take deep breaths and I didn't know what to do. It only burned the first few times and now I even eat it too. I know I have a problem but I dont' really know what to do about it. I am actually afraid to speak to anyone about it and I know my family has a very addictive personality (Mom and Dad had addictions). I'm worried about my behavior and I'm sure that I will talk to someone but right now it's hard. I would really like to know though what thrill or high I get from it since there is no actual "high" that is there. Maybe someone wil have some insight.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

People are addicted to lots of different things, no matter how crazy they seem. Please see a doctor, like many other addictions..this could kill you. There are a few other old threads about this, sadly the original posters haven't posted in ages. I hope they're ok.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi solost, and welcome to SR - I'm sure you're aware that your addiction is causing damage to your body. The insanity of it is that so many of us do things even though we suffer because of it. I'm glad you posted today - it was a big step to admit that you have a problem.:ghug3

It's always best to talk to a professional who understands and can provide some help. I go to a psychiatrist who helps me address some of the underlying issues such as depression and compulsiveness in addition to my alcoholism.

Also, if your parents both struggled with addiction, it's likely they know what you're going through and would only want to help.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Just realized solo relit this thread from '05. If you really are compulsively abusing comet; get help asap. As to what you're getting out of it... Seem like some sort of OCD behavior. See a pro; I'm sure there are some great scrips and cbt for this.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi solost

Like smacked said, people get addicted to all kinds of things.
Any of them can be serious, even life threatening.

Please do see a doctor.
This behaviour is not good for you - it could be quite dangerous.

D
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Uhh, that was a scene in Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke. I'd be shocked to hear of someone actually doing that, but hell anythings possible.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I thought about a condition known as pica. Pica though is characterized by eating non-food items... sometimes thought to be because of a mineral deficiency... or an obsessive-compulsive disorder. But this is snorting, so I don't know if it applies.

Seek MEDICAL attention. I bet there is help for you, really. There is effective treatment for OCD and similar conditions. Snorting that stuff will hurt you, permanently. Please, go to a doctor

Mark
Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Is he sniffing it or snorting it? Those are 2 entirely different things. I have heard of sniffing the fumes comet makes when it chemically reacts with other household substances. This can be very dangerous and damage your lungs.

Snorting the comet like you snort a line of cocaine I have not heard of and it sounds crazy. No more crazy than alcoholics drinking mouthwash or furniture polish though, and I know both of those go on.

I hope he gets the help he needs.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by solost3 View Post
I am myself addicted to sniffing Comet. It started while I was cleaning and I was already addicted to sniffing Fantastik. I now am addicted it seems, to Comet as well as Cascade dishwasher powder (if I can't find any comet). At first I didn't think anything of it but one day I sniffed so much it was hard to take deep breaths and I didn't know what to do. It only burned the first few times and now I even eat it too. I know I have a problem but I dont' really know what to do about it. I am actually afraid to speak to anyone about it and I know my family has a very addictive personality (Mom and Dad had addictions). I'm worried about my behavior and I'm sure that I will talk to someone but right now it's hard. I would really like to know though what thrill or high I get from it since there is no actual "high" that is there. Maybe someone wil have some insight.
Are you serious? If so tell your doctor what you're doing PRONTO. Snorting and eating household cleaner and dishwashing detergent can't be just bad for you. It's got to be absolutely terrible. Like KILL YOU terrible.